TKR Jozilla Part 2 - 9/8/14 LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't agree more @Pumpkln about proper pain management. Believe me if I am in pain I will call and scream that I need something . I am fortunate that for whatever reason this knee seems to be a bit better and less painful than my first. For my first knee I took meds for quite awhile as I felt I needed them. I am very happy and consider my self fortunate this time!
 
We need a @jeano clone.
Scary thought, though i might get rich renting my clone out to get people's knee surgery done on the clone's knees... how would that work, I wonder? Would the clone have to do all the PT and healing while the patient lay around eating bonbons?

Better not. The jeano clone would run around bragging about its ROM and making a nuisance of itself.
 
Hi @Jozilla I'm so pleased to read that you are recovering so well. It makes me feel less afraid for the future. I was really pleased to see you were well enough for a short walk up the driveway yesterday. How did that go? Were you ok? Xxxx I'm suffering a bit if insomnia because I'm going in for my revision tomorrow and I'm restless. Xxx going to try now though and get some sleep. Good night Jo. Love Ann xxx
 
@Jozilla I'd bet just about anything that Celebrex is largely responsible for your better recovery this time. It helped me tons with swelling in the beginning. I'm scared of this next op now because I turned allergic to Celebrex. Boo!!! Really, it's great to read that you are doing so well and feeling pretty good. Very happy for you. :happydance:
 
Morning @NanaMoon27 - prayers are with you today Ann. I was actually quite nervous for the surgery this time. I kept dreaming it would be delayed but wasn't! Hope they get that knee fixed right today!

@gr82cu2 sorry you were allergic to celebrex. I am amazed at my knee this time. I thought the first was good but this seems better. No other reason than celebrex and boy was I not a believer in it. I called my gastro doctor when my OS prescribed it as I have GERD controlled by medication and did not want to take it. He said it would be fine to take! Other NSAIDs are a definitely no but celebrex is fine!! I ate my own words and started it when I got home. I am so much more flexible and mobile. What happened when you were allergic?

Glad to report I am pretty bored. I have done nothing but rest ice elevate and a little PT. I feel almost normal this recovery. Sleeping well and now eating better. I have more strength and think it is from the Boost protein drink. I am also not anemic and my platelets are good. The first surgery it took me months to get my blood right!

I hope everyone has a great day!
 
Hi JoAnne ... How lovely it was to come on and see how well you are doing. I am so happy for you. Maybe it is the Celebrex, though it could also be that you learned so much the first time and are more relaxed about the time frames a TKR can take. I cannot take Celebrex as I am on high blood pressure medication and a diuretic and my GP refers to adding an anti-inflammatory as being the triple threat. To take Celebrex he says I would have to drop back to a BP only medication without the diuretic and then take Celebrex, which is something I did try with the first knee, but we found that my fluid retention was much worse.

This knee, unfortunately, is following the same path as the first, and even probably worse as there is much more pain with this one. I am finding it very frustrating and depressing. However, it is what it is and I will just have to deal with it. Extension is probably 10 degrees off straight and flexion has dropped back to 60-65.

It sounds awful, but I don't come on the forum much these days because I get quite down reading how well others are doing. I know we should never compare, and knowing the frustration of not getting results, I am always happy for those who do well early on, but I was asking "why me? why do I have all the difficulties?", but have quickly realised I should be asking "why not me? What makes me so special that I shouldn't have difficulties?".

I have had some good news though. My son Matthew and his wife Davina (they got married in June), are going to give me a second grandchild. We are all so excited. We knew they did not want to wait too long before having a baby, but that doesn't always guarantee it works out that way, but for them it has.

I hope things continue to go well for you JoAnne. It makes me very happy to know that you are progressing well and don't have a lot of pain.

As always, thinking of you ... Love and Hugs .. Ellen
 
Jozilla,
It could be the celebrex, or more likely you are having a great recovery, it is wonderful to read. If the OS's could only bottle what makes for the great recoveries.
 
JoAnne, after taking Celebrex for over 5 weeks I took my evening dose and about an hour later started to itch real bad on the inner part of my upper arms. I thought what the heck is going on and took a look and was covered in hives. Then they started appearing in the inner part of my upper thighs. I luckily had some benadryl and took a couple of those and in another couple of hours things settled down into a light rash where the hives had been. At the time I wasn't sure what exactly caused it so the following day I didn't take any Celebrex or any Tramadol to make sure it was all out of my system. Then the morning after that I took a Celebrex and the same thing with the hives happened again so I knew that was it. I'm allergic to Sulfa and the pharmacist warned to be careful because Celebrex has some sulfa component to it. It was just strange I was fine for 5 weeks and then the party was over. It was upsetting to me because I could have taken it right up until my next surgery and beyond unlike other nsaid's. My OS gives Celebrex and also Lyrica while in the hospital. I googled something like "Celebrex & Lyrica for joint replacement" and found an article about a study that was done and the results were great so many OS have started using this combo. My OS's PA caused some problems the day I left the hospital which resulted in me not having any Celebrex for 2 days until things got straightened out. During that time my leg swelled up huge and was over a 10 pain wise. Once I got the Celebrex things calmed down considerably. So, I do believe it is a big help with the inflammation and swelling. Thus why I'm scared for the next one knowing I can't take it or any nsaid until after I'm off the blood thinner.
 
So glad to hear from you all! @Pumpkln and @gr82cu2

@NetballKnees I am so sorry you are having a tough time. I am such an optimist I don't think that is fair to anyone. Especially when i see how it can be. I hope things turn around for you.

I am happy to hear you will have another grandchild soon. My son and wife are also expecting their 2nd in February. Their daughter will be almost 13!

My daughters baby is now 17 months! He is a real charmer with a great sense of humor! Having another baby around is a great gift.

Wow what a reaction to the celebrex. @gr82cu2 I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for sharing and helping!
 
Sometimes it takes a while to build up to a level to cause you a reaction. Glad you stopped taking it.
 
@Jozilla Hi Joanne I really believe in Celebrex so far no reaction to it for allergic problems . Just wish that I had of known how much it did help me when I stopped taking it when the prescription ran out only for two weeks but wow what a difference all of the pain came back do not want to do this again. I just wish it was not so expensive over 150.00 without my insurance but this is the only way I can manage to get around would be no way without it. Hope you are doing great and happy to read that you are having an easier recovery time this time. Hope you are getting a chance to have a bit of sun weather her much cooler but the sun is still warm if you sit in the right place. I wish for you that things just keep getting better and better and all the best for you. Waiting for a phone call back today and hoping it will be my surgery date news Hope you are having a nice week and relaxing . Holly
 
Hi Holly @lavender nice to hear from you. Check out the Internet celebrex.com where I found a coupon good for the rest of this year. With insurance it only cost me $4.00 instead of $70.00. You just print it and give to your pharmacist!
 
Hi @Jozilla Hope you are feeling good and thanks for the advice. Just noticing it is only for the states wish we had this plan her would be really nice to have this offer. Maybe it is still on a patent and hoping it will go down sometime so expensive but so good for this pain. Thanks so much again and wishing you the best. Holly
 
Hi @lavender - oops I thought you were in the states! I always use my iPhone for bonesmart and it doesn't give location details! Just read about your date and am excited for you!
 
Hi @Jozilla Thanks for the idea though wish we had it in Canada to but nice you offered the suggestion and thanks the coupon is such a great savings. I am so excited to have the surgery date and now planning what needs to be done before still have more then two months but lots to get ready before. Just so ready and happy it is not far away. It must feel nice to have your surgery all over with and hope you have lots of pain free days and get lots of rest and you will feel like brand new before you know it. Had a feeling news might come this week and now just have to wait. Hope you get some nice calm sleep tonight and thanks again Holly
 
@lavender I have about 3 weeks of Celebrex here that is useless to me. Wish it wasn't illegal to send it on to you. It controlled all my arthritic pain so much better than Aleve does, which is what I'm taking now.
 
Hi @Jozilla hope you are waking from a restful sleep today and and that you are relaxing pain free. Can't believe how fast this past few weeks have gone by and you are walking so great for such a short period of time recovering. Weather today is supposed to go up much warmer but mornings are still cool decided that I should change into my pants yesterday as it is down in the single digits for temperature but today think might be safe the sun is showing itself. Hope your pt person is treating you gently and your leg is not being pushed. @gr82cu2 I am sorry you can't use Celebrex it seems to help so much and thanks for thinking of me with what you still have left of Celebrex very appreciated but with our insurance plan the cost is much lower now just eats up the plan maximum quick.

I thought the Celebrex was causing me to feel funny just before my surgery so decided that it might not be good to take it anymore plus the cost. A couple of months before surgery but thinking it was another pill that my doctor had prescribed Janumet to help with my sugar levels. That is a very expensive prescription to and costed close to 400.00 for three months stopped it and doctor gave me something else and then no more feeling sick. They gave me Celebrex in the hospital so when I came home asked my family doctor to issue me a refill so think that helped to just takes a while to start to work again.
I will not let my Celebrex run out again really understand now how much it helps . Hope you are fine and wishing you a wonderful day
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom