TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on being done with surgery! Happy :ice:
 
I can't seem to stay on top of the pain. But, I did just get over three hours sleep. Not sure if I'll be leaving the hospital today ot Thursday.

I'll write more later. I feel a drug induced nap coming on.


TKR - August 31, 2015
 
When I was in the hospital and the drugs kicked in, IT.WAS.GOOD. A few times I found myself wake up with half chewed food in my mouth, then I would just continue chewing like there was no break. I don't know how addicts do it. It would felt like I was knocked out for 45 minutes and only 3 actually went by. Yay for good drugs when we're in pain.
 
I can only imagine it's different for addicts. In our case, the medication is serving a medical purpose.
 
I had a large change in meds last night. Tramadol is going to have to be enough. All of the stronger narcotic type pain relievers weren't being tolerated. I was so stoned that I was seeing walls move, couldn't speak in coherent sentences, or eat more than a couple of bites of anything. Some of the other drugs are still in my system but I'm starting to feel more like myself and finally getting the hang of using the walker.

I can't wait to go home today.


TKR - August 31, 2015
 
Yesterday, my flexion was at 90! Not bad for two days out.


PKR - August 31, 2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good news about your flexion. Please don't worry if it drops back for a while - that's quite normal and is caused by swelling.

I hope the Tramadol works to keep the pain at bay. Did you know that you can combine it with Tylenol (Acetaminophen)? I can't find it right now, but @Josephine has a chart that suggests a schedule to combine them.

Now that you're post op, i'm going to give you our recommended recovery reading list:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on.
 
@Joyfull61,
[Bonesmart.org] Joyfull61's Recovery Thread
you are now an
[Bonesmart.org] Joyfull61's Recovery Thread
!

When you have the time and your mind is clear :heehee:, would you please change your signature to indicate a PKR rather than a TKR? Thanks!
 
Welcome to recovery!!! You're doing great so far. I've changed your signature to reflect the PKR instead of a full TKR.
 
I mostly work from home and am hoping to be able to work during my third week post op. Am I nuts and totally unrealistic?
I was able to work from home the second week, I am lucky I am an IT guy, and it really didn't matter where I sat behind the computer. Only requirement was that I be off narcotic pain killers, but I had total constipation with percocet so I quit cold turkey (don't do that!) the saturday before. Driving to work after 2 weeks. YMMV!
 
You may find that working from home as early as that is difficult.
You'll probably still have the brain fog that affects most of us, and makes clear thinking difficult.
It's not easy to find a position where you can work on a computer and still rest, ice and elevate your leg adn you'll find your leg gets rather stiff if you sit for too long in one position.

You can aim for 3 weeks, but try to keep your options open to rest for longer than that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think it totally depends on you, and how you are recovering! I wouldn't go back too soon, though, and 3 weeks may be a little too soon. But that's only my opinion, and I work from home also, and I am at 6 weeks post op, and I tried this last week to answer phone, and make appts, while others are doing the physical work, it took it's toll! Plus I only worked 3 hours, tops! I was thankful I could get back in my chair and elevate, and ice!! :ice:
 
Today was the day for my first outpatient PT. Everything looked good all I did was a few heel slides and some walking so she could check my movement. After she measured my ROM, I spent the rest of the time with ice while we chatted about my goals. That was easy enough!

I came home and got my nest made in bed for the next few hours. That's when near disaster struck. Somehow, I twisted my surgical knee while saving myself from a fall. Not sure how or why it happened, but I think it set me back a couple of days. I haven't noticed any extra swelling, just soreness like I had the day after surgery. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any harm, but I'm going to take it easier that I'd planned. I was going to walk to the end of the driveway and back, but I'll save that for another day.






TKR - August 31, 2015
 
It's very sensible to plan to rest a lot after you twisted your knee. With lots of rest, ice. elevation and taking your pain meds on time, hopefully the knee will settle down.
 
Tramadol is going to have to be enough.
Tramadol is an excellent pain med for a knee. We use it almost exclusively in the UK. BUT you need to take Tylenol with it as it enhances the effect. Here's the chart I created fro me first knee which strangely didn't work for my second so I just stick with 100mg Tramadol and 1,000mg paracetamol (Tylenol) every 6hrs which worked much better but sometimes I had to grit my teeth for the last 40 minutes before the next dose.
Yesterday, my flexion was at 90! Not bad for two days out.
Very good for two days out! In fact that's mostly what the docs like to see before discharge. Not that it stays there because after a couple of days, when the reactive swelling sets in, you'll find it can regress. If it does, the answer is to rest it more rather than work it more!
while we chatted about my goals
Word of warning here - NO goals.Your knee doesn't set them and neither should you! Just be ultra patient and let things happen as and when they will. Your knee will progress further much more quickly if you do.
Somehow, I twisted my surgical knee while saving myself from a fall. Not sure how or why it happened, but I think it set me back a couple of days. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any harm, but I'm going to take it easier that I'd planned.
And then some more! As I said before, don't set goals.
I was going to walk to the end of the driveway and back, but I'll save that for another day.
It rather depends how long your drive is! But you should follow the routine as stated here Activity progression for TKRs which is among the articles Celle left you. I trust you have read the rest of them?
 
Five days out and I've gone from thinking the recovery is no big deal to thinking I'll never get through it.

Until late yesterday there was very little swelling and I barely needed a walker to get around. Then it happened. I was getting back in bed and slipped. In the process of trying not to fall, I twisted my knee. So much for an easy weekend. The swelling and tightness is now horrible. The doctor thinks I aggravated the soft tissue but isn't too concerned that I caused serious damage since I can still put weight on the leg and the pain hasn't changed. I can't believe I did that.

Now I'm doing nothing but icing, elevating, and resting. No walking except to go to the bathroom. This time yesterday, I was zipping around the back porch with very little effort. Of course, that could be another reason for the swelling.

I'm thinking it's time for a nap.


TKR - August 31, 2015
 
I refreshed and saw your reply from earlier @Josephine. Thanks so much!

I'm feeling much better mentally after resting all day. The swelling has lessened a little. I'm only getting up when necessary and will keep it that way.


TKR - August 31, 2015
 
Word of warning here - NO goals.Your knee doesn't set them and neither should you! Just be ultra patient and let things happen as and when they will. Your knee will progress further much more quickly if you do.
If you set goals, you are setting yourself up for failure and frustration.

If you set a goal, say, to be at a certain ROM by a certain date----what if you are not? There is very little you can control during recovery---except for the times that you rest, ice, and elevate, as the knee or the knees are in charge---and it is their schedule,.

As for ultimate goals, such as, "I want to ride a bike again" or "I want to be able to sleep through the night without pain"---you will certainly attain those goals, but again, it will be on your knee or your knee's schedule as to when you are fully recovered.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom