Guest viewing is limited

Journey started

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking my knees, my daughter and the 5 and 8 year old boys to our favorite beach town for a cool but sunny spring weekend tomorrow. The boys actually have a birthday party to go to in a nearby town, so it's an excuse. I had to make sure to find a place with no steps. I can't wait to go there again post recovery! Have a good weekend everyone!
 
Have fun, Janet!
You, your new knees, and the grandchildren will have a fantastic summer!
 
Back from a quick weekend. Really enjoyed being there and we are all are looking forward to being back there in August. I could hardly believe how painful my knees have gotten recently. Perhaps because it's been 6 months since I've been able to get cortisone shots. My knees are just at the end. I can't wait to get better.
 
Becky, I appreciate your remarks and I understand them. My first paragraph was addressing Jacky's back now prior to surgery and I was not clear in my remarks. :DOH:

My second paragraph talked about recovery. Believe me, with the long and difficult recovery I had, I know about how to elevate a knee in recovery. Recovery does not last forever, and you can go back to what gives you comfort eventually. :thumb:

Mimi,

Sorry -- I guess I missed the part about doing that for back pain. Something under the knees is DEFINITELY good for back pain.

Now that I'm on the other side, I'm finding it painful (and therefore difficult to sleep) if I don't have some kind of support under my knee too. I appreciated the comment about doing what you have to do to be able to get some rest. So I work on straightening it several times during the day.It's interesting how we have to adjust how we do things so that it works for us and we can rest too-- until further along in recovery. I guess I'm contradicting myself in my previous post. :blush:
 
Janet, looks like there's a good group of June buddies for support. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. I appreciate the recipe too, Mimi.
 
Thanks, we can all use thoughts and prayers! I'm sorry you are still in the early painful stage. I don't look forward to it.
 
Janet,

I AM sleeping better now. Taking the meds before going to bed and at 4 am definitely helps to get through the night with some good sleep. As they say, pain control is a good thing -- ice, meds (by the clock), and elevate -- oh, and don't stress. :thumb: Pleasant dreams. :sleep:
 
Becky, do be sure that if you put something behind your knee for support when lying down that you support the entire leg (like using a pillow lengthwise). If you just put it under the joint, you run the risk of developing a blood clot.
 
I had the second of three hyalgan injections yesterday, and was able to take a manufacturing plant tour without the typical bone on bone sharp pain I was having with every step. Such a relief! One more injection next week to glide me through to surgery!
 
Updating myself here. I got the pre-surgery packet with pre and post surgery appointments. They seem more sure of this than I do! :what: I'm still second guessing on who should do it. I did call another OS thinking maybe I should have gone ahead and met him, but he isn't taking consults until August now, with another 8-12 weeks for surgery. He's a highly recommended surgeon, but is the one that did not do MIS on an aquaintance. Is he rightly more cautious or less adept at that procedure? Is my guy, and the first OS I saw so experienced they have no hesitation in doing it, or are they doing a compromised job? My daughter knows someone who didn't like his office chatter, and that person knows of two people that weren't happy with him because one had to go see him in his office one week after surgery instead of one month, and another that wasn't happy with the surgery, but she doesn't know why. Is she one of the roughly 10 percent across the board that is unhappy with there surgery? Or was a poor job done? I feel like it's a gamble and the stakes are really high.:sigh:

Sorry, I was talking out loud to myself.
 
Updating myself here. I got the pre-surgery packet with pre and post surgery appointments. They seem more sure of this than I do! :what: I'm still second guessing on who should do it. I did call another OS thinking maybe I should have gone ahead and met him, but he isn't taking consults until August now, with another 8-12 weeks for surgery. He's a highly recommended surgeon, but is the one that did not do MIS on an aquaintance. Is he rightly more cautious or less adept at that procedure? Is my guy, and the first OS I saw so experienced they have no hesitation in doing it, or are they doing a compromised job? My daughter knows someone who didn't like his office chatter, and that person knows of two people that weren't happy with him because one had to go see him in his office one week after surgery instead of one month, and another that wasn't happy with the surgery, but she doesn't know why. Is she one of the roughly 10 percent across the board that is unhappy with there surgery? Or was a poor job done? I feel like it's a gamble and the stakes are really high.:sigh:
Sorry, I was talking out loud to myself.
Don't be sorry. It's a big thing and you want it done right. I think it's harder for you guys as you get more choice. We are supposed to over here but doesn't really work out unless you pay to go private

I wonder if you could ask the os if they have references from patients and what their satisfaction rate and revision rates are?

August plus 8-12 weeks is a long time when you're in pain. Difficult choices. Keep smiling!!:biggrin:
 
I wonder if you could ask the os if they have references from patients and what their satisfaction rate and revision rates are?

I personally know people who have been happy with the two I've seen, but only know the other by proffesional reputation. My dermatologist recommended him, but I already knew about him. The one I'm scheduled with said that he has had very few of his patients need a revision, that it's happened, but very few. He follows his patients long term. He does 350 knees a year. I was able to get a consultation with him within two weeks, but then 9 weeks to surgery. I've also read online reviews and everyone loved him. No one can be everything to everyone all the time, so I guess I just have to weigh what I think impacts my actual surgery. Thanks for listening!
 
Hi Janet,
I think that whichever surgeon that you ultimately choose, will be the right one. You have done your homework, and I admire the way you check your work!
Hi Becky.
How are you doing today?
 
Janet, with all the work you have put into your choice, I think you know what is best. :thumb:

I also think that everyone has some kind of love-hate relationship with their OS. In my case, when he stopped taking my insurance and that postponed my surgery for 3 years, I was a most unhappy patient. :gaah: I sought out another surgeon, and scheduled surgery, only having to postpone 2 weeks before surgery due to shingles.:hairpulling: That brought me right back to my original surgeon for my TKR.

When I got the infection after surgery, I did not blame my OS, as his protocal was flawless and his surgery was as good as it gets. People would say , "Oh your surgeon messed up." My reply was always, No he did a great job and I am the 1% that "stuff" happens to.:cry4:

I think you have to leave room in your "plan" for stuff to happen. Hopefully nothing will happen. This recovery is rarely perfectly smooth. You have done the work, relax and get ready for the ride of your life. Remember, at the end you will have a great, pain free, knee. Anything you have to go through to get there is worth it.:loveshower:
 
Janet, If your OS does 350 TKAs a year, that's a number I could be comfortable with. Do you like him? Will you be able to ask questions and get answers post-op? Do you have any hesitation at all about him? I considered 3 OS before my TKA. In the end, someone said to me that I should just go with Dr. Haas (who I wanted and did my surg. but I waited 3 months for initial consultation) and HSS (Hosp. for Spec. Surg. in NY) because if anything went wrong with the other doctors that I would always blame it on not having gone with my original choice. I spoke to a few pts that he did and they all were pleased (one was an ortho nurse from Yale Hosp.). As I am sure most of us do, I went through a very extensive list of OS to consider, so we don't have to do anything after TKA, right? It is a scary surgery and the first few weeks of recovery are tough but in the end we will be so glad we did our research and did the TKA! Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
 
My leg elevating wedge came today! I decided it was going to be hard enough to get situated without trying to get pillows piled up. One side has a depression for the calves to rest in, and it can be flipped over for a straight side. There is a wedge insert that can come out, but that would allow for a bend of the knees, so it will be left in. It strangely feels hot under my thighs though. Maybe that won't matter when I have ice wrapped around my knees. You wouldn't think a wedge could be so exciting! :loll:
 
Janet2012, I received my wedge today too, although I haven't tried it out yet. Sounds like we bought the same one. Hope it helps.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom