Guest viewing is limited

Journey started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Janet and welcome to BoneSmart. I have been doing fine so far in my recovery. I set up a bedroom in my living room and made a bed out of my sofa. I put bed risers under the sofa to make it easier to get up and down from. I have pillows that support my leg from the hip to the foot. The hardest thing for me was getting my operated leg up on the couch. I used one of my little ones jump rope to help me lift my leg. I put the rope under the ball of my foot and use my arms to lift my leg up and down. by the end of the second week I was able to lift my leg by itself. I live alone adn was able to get around the house by myself. I could get to the bathroom, make meals and take care of my dogs so with your hubby's help you should do fine.

I think practicing how you have your house set up is a great idea. I set my house up and thoght it was ready for me when I came home. Once I got home I realized my setup was not working so I had to have my friend come over with one of the grandbabies and rearrange the room. Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery come back anytime you need to talk
 
Mary, I'm sure the best laid plans will all have to be reworked once home. I at least have my bedroom on the first floor.

I'm trying to get my profile picture up. Hopefully it shows up now.


Guess not...
 
Becky, I appreciate your remarks and I understand them. My first paragraph was addressing Jacky's back now prior to surgery and I was not clear in my remarks. :DOH:

My second paragraph talked about recovery. Believe me, with the long and difficult recovery I had, I know about how to elevate a knee in recovery. Recovery does not last forever, and you can go back to what gives you comfort eventually. :thumb:
 
Hi Mimi, so how is your knee a year out? Mentally, I'm expecting 1 1/2 years until the diddly little stuff is settled and done.
 
Janet, thanks for asking. I plan to post tomorrow when it is a year! My knee is fantastic!:dancy: The 'diddly' stuff is gone.

My first 6 months were far from "normal" and I had a rough time. My pain was never controlled and that was a major problem along with an infection and quads that did not work. However, I made it through and getting the TKR was the best decision I could have made for me. I have my life back and can play with my three grandkids under the age of 3. So I don't have to miss out on anything now:yahoo:
 
Janet, I'm with you with the thought of a more long term recovery period as well. I figure if I think short term say, 6 months to a year and it turns out longer then that I'll just be disappointed, and that would be setting myself for some not so nice feelings.
So I'm going into this project with an open, realistic mind set this way I can just focus on going nice and easy so I don't do something foolish and set myself back. I can push myself to the limit sometimes, that's why I waited so long to make this decision and get my knees done. My OS said "you waited 12 years after your arthroscopic surgery in your left knee to get this done?" I said yes, but my right knee paid the price! So this time Jacky is NOT going to be foolish!
A 11/2 is not a bad goal to have, after all it is 2 knees that are going to need a lot of love and care!:wubroses:
 
Mimi, that's great news! I'll look for your post tomorrow!

Jacky, we'll both do fine this way, I think. I guess I'm basing it on that it did take 1 1/2 years for my arthroscoped knee to be free of surgical side effects. Stuff gets messed with in there!
 
Janet and Jackie, You both have such a positive, realistic outlook on your surgery. It will stand you in good stead and make the whole process much easier for you.

Unrealistic expectations have caused a lot of TKRers to be so miserable during the first 6 weeks which tend to be the toughest for most of us, to be overly aggressive with PT which really causes more problems for them, and to be totally impatient with everything which does them no good at all.

Just be sure you get good pain control from the beginning; it will make a world of difference. Also do what is necessary to avoid serious constipation which can almost be worse than after surgery pain. And then plan to rest, elevate (toes above nose), and ice constantly during the first 4 to 6 weeks. Also very gentle streching and bending. Lots of TV (good and bad) it takes a while to be able to concentrate enough to read a book or work crossword puzzles, etc.

Will be following your recoveries when you each reach the "other side". Judy
 
I had another experience that I'm calling on as well. A few years ago, I fell and caught my hand under my body, so that as I fell forward on the ground, my hand got rolled backward under me with my full weight. Leaving out the details, I could not close my hand and my pinky would only bend at the top joint. The doctors and PT could not get that finger to bend. The hand surgeon I consulted suggested putting me in the hospital and working it for a week under anesthesia. My PT, bless him, said not to do it, suggesting that that was just money to them. He said what I needed was to give it six months, and in fact that I didn't need him either. Just keep doing what I was doing, gently working it, and give it TIME. Sure enough, in six months I could make a fist. Lesson learned. (this was in Germany)
 
As a side story, speaking of Germany, the summer that I had my Arthroscopic knee surgery, I was living in Germany, and my husband was working in Switzerland, so had an apartment there. We commuted. Anyway, I had my surgery done in Germany, at - the Frankfurt Airport (Terminal 1)!! And then I went to Zurich to recuperate, and had the stitches out - at the Train station!! It seemed incredibly ironic since I was such a frequent traveler! In addition, I found a PT in Zurich that spoke English and was just one tram stop away, so happily went to her. But her office turned out to be in a 100 year old building with no elevator. I had to go up, with crutches, 51 steps! Every time. (that was when I still had one good leg.). (probably contributed to the demise of that knee as well.). Anyway, those are My Adventures In Orthopedics to date! Lol!
 
You just can't stop having fun, can you Janet!!! And now you're asking for more (lol).

Great stories by the way.
 
Janet, you're going to be my recovery buddy and I can't wait! Good luck to you my dear! You're a trooper!:friends:
 
Fun indeed! Lol! Jacky, it is great to have a buddy through this! I wish I could say that I couldn't wait, but I feel like there is so much preparation to do, and decisions yet to make. I'll see the surgeon again next Wednesday and then hopefully get a more exact picture of what we'll be doing.
 
This is how I know it's time to do this. I went to lunch with my daughter and grandkids today, and they were going to a fun play center afterwards. Daniel, the 2 year old said, "Grandma, can you go with us?" Yes. "Can you Not sit because your knee hurts? Is your knee hurting?" :( He wants a fun Grandma, not a sitting Grandma! I went, I sat. I need to get this done.
 
Yes Janet, that is a sign for most of us! We will win this battle and see a brighter future!:yes 4:
 
I'm anxious for the next two days. Tomorrow I get a hyalgon injection so I may start managing better in the coming weeks. Wednesday I see the surgeon, in earnest this time, rather than feeling him out. I'll get new x-rays and find out what he really thinks we should (and can) do. :scratch:
 
Well, I met with my surgeon today, and I thought I was going to have a panic attack in the waiting room! I left much calmer than when I went in. I'm still on the book for BTKR on June 4. We talked about why I was a good candidate and who wouldn't be. He said one knee might be suitable for a partial, but won't know until he gets in there. But prior to that I need to consider if the TKR is a better long term decision than a PKR. Still decisions to make. All ligaments are left intact and none are cut. 4 inch incision down the middle. About 1 hour for a TKR, about 1 1/2 hours for the BTKR. He's been doing knee and hip surgery for 36 years and does 350 knees a year. Everything feels right about this. :flowerysmile:
 
Great news!:yay: Wow, he does a lot of knees and quickly, which means he is very comfortable and competent in his ability. My OS said approximately 3 hours including preparation and closing, and I thought that was pretty impressive for one surgeon to do. Good for you, you are going forward to a fuller life!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom