Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Journey started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet2012

big-cheese
Hi, I'm new here and have been reading, reading, reading! I have a tentative surgical date of June 4, 2012, but I am still in the decision stage. Which doctor and hospital is the biggest decision, and then to do one at a time or go full out with a BTKA. I'll be reading and posting as I go along, but I wanted to say hello and THANK YOU for this sight! I've been working my way through the library...

Ditzzeechick

senior
Hello & Welcome Janet!

We're a mixed bag of nuts here. I had my right knee replaced on 2/20/12 and my left knee replaced on 2/27/12. Our friend Roy, he'll be here soon I suspect had his done at the same time. There are some others who had their knees replaced 1-3 months apart. Read, read, read...take your time...we're all in recovery so we're not going anywhere, anytime FAST!!! :rolleyespink:

Lori

senior
Hey!!! Mine is scheduled for the same day! I have been reading everything I can about knees & the replacement journey. I used to live in MI in evart & my favorite team are the Red Wings! Glad you found us here & there are so many people that have such encouraging words, smart ideas & understanding on this forum. I have gained so much by reading & having my questions answered. Welcome & keep in touch! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Janet2012

Janet2012

big-cheese
Bev, I think I've been following your posts from "the other side" already. The experiences of those already there are of keen interest! Thanks!

Lori, looks like we'll be surgical buddies on June 4th! If the date holds... We went to Lakeland and watched a couple of spring training games so I'll be interested in watching the Tigers this year. Seems I'll have lots of time to be a spectator from my lounge chair this summer. I don't particularly like to watch hockey, but I do love our Red Wings!

Jacky48

big-cheese
Country
United States United States
Hi Janet,

I too am having my BTKA June 1st and I can't wait!:thumb: As a matter of fact I made up my mind to do both knees at the same time before I even found my OS in a new area, we just moved last August and I did a lot of research before I selected my OS. When I saw him for the first time he said that I was "young enough" to do both at the same time.:thumb: I did give him a BIG thumbs up! And of course I fell in love with him instantly since he said I was young enough to do BTKA, especially when I feel like 90 yrs old with these knees. No walks on the beach, no walks in my new 55+ neighborhood with trails etc. and simply no enjoyment in vacationing with my husband! Actually I AM holding us both back in our retirement. SO, I thought enough IS enough. I'm not fooling myself I know there will be pain through the recovery, I've read enough about that, but the key word here is RECOVERY!:yahoo: Also, I definately have constant pain now and I'm not recovering. So just a little something to give you to think about. Also I based my decision on the thought that I will experience the recovery pain, the heavy medication and all the triumphs at one time. Then I can move on with the rest of my life knee pain free!:yay:
Good luck in your decision making and I wish you well!
Best regards,
Jacky

Ditzzeechick

senior
Boy, Jacky, can i relate to your story. Those broken knees really do hinder your life. Any decision is a good decision as long as it is your decision. I can't wait for June either, every day is a better day. I am hopeful that June will have me able to do a little dance. Good luck, ladies,

Mimi

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Jacky, you have a great attitude. I think that when we face the decision of BTKR it is life changing. You will do well no matter what recovery brings to you with your positive attitude.:yes 4:

I am close to one year in recovery (RTKR) and life is so good for me now. I had a difficult recovery, but my knee is straight, pain free, and does everything that my old knee could not do.:dancy:

Good luck and keep posting.

OP
OP
Janet2012

Janet2012

big-cheese
Jacky, my story and thinking sounds much the same. I'm not in pain all the time though, only when I stand or walk! My second knee went shortly after my husbands early retirement three years ago, so I know what you are feeling about hindering enjoyment of retirement. He's doing a fair amount of consulting work, etc., otherwise I'm sure he would be going stir crazy. He's been infinately understanding and never complains though.

Jacky48

big-cheese
Country
Yea Janet it looks like we got a hold of two great guys! My husband doesn't complain either, but we had such great hopes and plans for retirement and these darn knees are not allowing us to move forward. We'll be married 47 yrs this year and we still feel like it's yesterday! That's why I say, enough is enough as we're not getting any younger even though we do feel very young in our minds I want my knees to comply with my out look in life.
Pain when standing and walking is my main issue also, however waking up in the middle of the night when knees are not positioned right does not make for a good nights sleep.:sigh:

OP
OP
Janet2012

Janet2012

big-cheese
Before arthroscopic surgery 4 years ago, I couldn't lie in bed at all without ending up in tears, but mercifully now I sleep well. I wonder how long it will be before we get a good night sleep after surgery? I cannot sleep on my back! I'm mostly a stomach sleeper, and I doubt that will be happening for some time. It's temporary, it's all temporary...

Jacky48

big-cheese
Country
My back is out of wack too, but I'm thinking it's because of the way I walk/stand with these bad knees. And I know we need to lay on our back for a while after surgery, whether we do one or both knees that's why I want to do them both and get it over with. When I lay on my back, favorite position, and I try to get up in the morning I need to hold on to the night side table for several minute for my back and legs to adjust to the pressure before I can start walking. Now for me that's enough to make my decision to have both done at once. I don't look forward to laying on my back cause I know what I in for, however, I do look for to the happy drugs they give you to deal with it:th_heehee:, which I don't have now. Yes we must remember Temporary!:yes 4:

JoyWest

I am joining you ladies in June! I had my LTKR in 2010, so I am one leg up on some of you!:th_heehee: I am really excited to get my other bionic knee so that I can continue having fun!! Life is too precious to sit it out on the couch. I am glad to have some good folks to chat with while we are all up and sleepless...but don't worry, that too shall pass!
Joy

sheryl7

graduate
Country
Janet keep on reading the library , very informative.
i envy you , wish i had a date set in June, or late June, got to go on vacation beginning of June.
There are lots on here who have elected to have a btkr done, with their drs consent.
I am am not sure what I would do if an OS would offer me a btkr, part of me would want to get done, so one putting you out, and one being on heavy drugs, one recovery. But its the initial beginning of recovery that scares me, no good leg to rely on. Oh well i will cross that bridge when i get there, hopefully someday.
I wish you luck in your decision, im sure whatever way you got will be fine for you:thumb:

OP
OP
Janet2012

Janet2012

big-cheese
Hi Joy, it's encouraging that you are looking forward to a second TKR with excitement rather than dread! That speaks to the big payoff to come!

Sheryl, I was probably where you are last year. I wouldn't consider it last year because I had my son's wedding coming in November, and it was a destination wedding, so involving travel. I didn't want to risk the unknown before then, but now I have to face it head on.

Now I can think of nothing else. My knee, and now knees, have been the constant in all my decisions for five years. It's hard to imagine that there could be a time that I don't think about them. Or maybe with replacements it's never really in the background, even when the pain is gone? It would be glorious to not think about them!

Mimi

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Jacky, have you tried using a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side, and under both knees when sleeping on your back? That helped me alot before and after surgery.

My back improved greatly once my knee healed. During recovery, I went through bad back days until the knee was stable. Then it all came together and my back feels great now. Getting a new mattress a few months ago helped it all along too.:yes 4:

Jacky48

big-cheese
Country
Mimi, yes I do use king size pillow which goes the whole length of my leg from the knee down. This does help some, and we just got a new mattress, memory foam, so that does help some as well. Thanks for bringing it up, it might help others to know these tricks.
Janet, what ever you decide you'll know it's right for you. There's no right or wrong here, You're in charge of your own destiny!:biggrin:

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Janet. Looks like you are getting lots of helpful advice and support already. :thumb:

Jacky, have you tried using a pillow ...... under both knees when sleeping on your back?
Not a good idea actually. Mimi. It needs to be either the whole length of the leg or not at all.

Check here to see what I mean Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain

OP
OP
Janet2012

Janet2012

big-cheese
Yes, I'm so happy I found this sight!

So speaking of sleep, here's a question. Just in the short time I've been reading posts, a recliner has been mentioned so often it seems to be a basic piece of equipment. I don't have one (without sitting on the basement sectional - can't move that upstairs!), so what is a reclinerless person to do? I do have a chair and foot stool that I have done plenty of napping in, but I have to pull the stool (hassock?) over against the chair so it supports under my knees. And then get my legs up and over the sides. And with my long legs, it sits lower than it would for someone with shorter legs. I could put chair risers under the legs of the chair, but with BTKR, or even TKR, will I be able to pull my leg up on top of the footstool, especially by myself, in those first days or weeks home? My bed matress is fairly tall and firm, but it sounds like that's not a place I'll be able to get comfortable for a while.

Here's another question. When I had arthroscopic surgery, which was done in Germany, my doctor gave me a brace that went from thigh to calf and kept my leg straight and supported, for sleeping the first few nights. Helped with turning over or moving around in bed. It did help and I only needed it a few nights. Is this something that is useful here?

Mimi

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Jo, I was not talking about recovery from TKR, and should have made that clear. Thanks for the clarification. I realize that I said after surgery and for me that is now, after the initial recovery. That slight elevation of a pillow enables me to sleep on my back.

viver45

Welcome Janet!

You've found the right place to find your answers and help calm your fears and concerns.

My doctor didn't want to do both of mine at the same time, so hopefully later this year we will do my left knee. I had my right knee done on March 19, 2012 so I'm still early on the recovery, but the pain is so different and I know it won't be here forever.

Keep reading the articles and posted. I survived without a recliner (I have two in the house), but slept in our guest room and did just fine (my husband wasn't happy about that in the beginning, but also said he would not want to throw his leg over mine during the night!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom