Guest viewing is limited

Journey started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind games!! I mentioned to my OS that I was concerned about the upper body strength that will be needed right after surgery, so he's sending me to PT for four weeks before surgery. My first visit was today, and she was so surprised at my lower body strength (that I was strong). Full extension, flex of 120 on the bad knee, 130 on the better bad knee. (This with my own bend, no pushing). So I started feeling guilty even being there and thinking maybe I'm not in bad enough need of knee replacements!! I had to talk myself down after I left, and remind myself that this is good news, it means I'll have a better result after surgery, hopefully, than if I wait. I told myself if I waited until I was much more compromised, I will have waited too long to get the best results in a timely manner, without wasting away time. Still, I have this underlying feeling of being a bit phony being there and doing this!! :wacko:
 
Janet - I think you & I are identical knee partners! I'm feeling exactly the same way. Love your description of the 'better bad knee'! The difference is you are having both done though - I am having just the left. Looking forward (!?) to sharing the journey with you :friends:
 
Janet - I think you & I are identical knee partners! I'm feeling exactly the same way. Love your description of the 'better bad knee'! The difference is you are having both done though - I am having just the left. Looking forward (!?) to sharing the journey with you :friends:

If we're wrong, we'll be wrong together!
 
Janet, I don't know what pre op ROM has to do with the need for surgery. I think it has more to do with what is going on inside with the arthritis and worn out bone. :rolleyespink:

I have hyper-extension in both knees. My pre op flexion was 145 both knees.:dancy: As miserable as my knee was it had great flexion. I could touch my butt with my foot when I flexed it.:th_heehee: I still can with my non surgical knee, and it is not the "best knee". I am just now able to pick up my TKR and bend it well. It is no where near my butt . However it is closer than it was last year this time.:loll:
 
Mimi, you are right, of course. It only means I haven't let my knees become stiff with disease, or maybe it's just luck of the draw. I don't think I have particularly good flexion. Like I said, it's a mind game!
 
As for pre-op work, I do not think I will do it for my next knee. I did it all pre-op and had great strength. My PT guy said that I would sail through recovery! :what:Yea, sure, NOT!

I had strong quads pre-op and then post op they went to sleep for a long spring nap :cry: It takes so little time for muscles to lose their strength and more time to gain it all back. I had to work so hard to get that back, but the end result is a very good one and I am back in the race!:dancy:

I hope all you planning and hard work gives you a great result!:friends:
 
Having no expectations might be easier than having high expectations! I'm actually there for upper body strength to try to avoid problems with shoulder bursitis and wrist tendinitis. I have wimpy arms.
 
I visited the first post hospital in-patient rehab center today. I doubt I could ask for a nicer facility, but I felt very somber about it. It's becoming real in an in my face sort of way. Disconcerting. I have a couple more to visit, both of which are closer to home. Hear sceeching brakes... when she started talking about aggresive PT. She had to bring in reinforcements and ultimately, I think they should say aggressive schedule of PT.
 
Janet, I know what you mean about mind games! When I do the mind game thingy I feel like a squirrel in the middle of the road as a car approaches it, it's scurrying every which way and can't make up it's mind! Poor thing!:hate-shocked: I believe we'll be second guessing ourselves right up until they give us the loopy drugs!:rolleyespink:
 
Janet, I know what you mean about mind games! When I do the mind game thingy I feel like a squirrel in the middle of the road as a car approaches it, it's scurrying every which way and can't make up it's mind! Poor thing!:hate-shocked: I believe we'll be second guessing ourselves right up until they give us the loopy drugs!:rolleyespink:

Yes, that's it! Squirrels unite!
 
Mind games!! I mentioned to my OS that I was concerned about the upper body strength that will be needed right after surgery, so he's sending me to PT for four weeks before surgery.

This is a very wise idea---you will be hoisting yourself around a little bit and you will also be surprised how quickly---regardless of how hard you work them prior to surgery---that your hammies and quads will atrophy.

I was glad after my BTKR that I had the upper body strength to get myself around until my knees were capable of doing something.
 
I ran into something unexpected today. I called a second rehab that is highly recommended, very nice, and closer to home than the one I visited yesterday. Guess what? I'm not old enough to go there! The resident community has a min. age requirement of 62, but I couldn't believe their short term rehab facility has the same restriction! They won't let me go there.
 
Gosh, another advantage of getting really old!:hysterical: How lucky for me!:rolleyespink:
 
Oh! Another disadvantage of being young!:skeptical: Talk about not knowing what to expect next!:DOH:
 
Janet and Jacky, I felt the same way in the last weeks before the surgery -- particularly after going for the pre-op registration and then the pre-op class. It becomes a lot more "real" and "in your face" at that point. You'll both do fine though with gradual improvements (more and more) as time passes on the other side with PT and walking -- AND "rest, elevation, ice, and pain meds -- and de-stress". Our knees and bodies let us know when we need to rest, ice, etc. Even the small accomplishments on the other side are soooo wonderful when they happen. :thumb::friends:
 
Well, good for you Janet! If you went there in person they DEFINITELY would not have believed you from the way you look in your picture! ; )
A friend who had BTKR 2 years ago at age 53 was in a rehab place for a couple of weeks. She had PT twice a day for 1.5 hrs at a time. I don't think it was too strenuous, though, as I don't recall her complaining about that. The only snag was when she was discharged from PT, her insurance company considered her an 'outpatient' and so she had to go to a laboratory for her Coumadin blood draws. Since she had a BTKR, she always had to have someone drive her for those, and sometimes it was difficult.
Maybe you will be on the newer anticoagulant- Xeralto, which I think you don't need to be on as long as Coumadin and there are no INR checks.
Good Luck, Janet, it is coming up soon!
 
jancat, Great info! My OS uses Xeralto as a blood thinner, which does not need blood drawn periodically. That is a great thing because when you're layed up you certainly don't want to worry about the complication of having too much in your system causing other problems!
Janet we are on the good side of medical technology!:yay:
We're almost there!:thumb: Hang in there!:friends:
 
Jancat, Thanks re: the picture. The wedding photographer (my son's wedding in November) is a family friend and was very generous with her editing. I wouldn't want to meet in person anyone who only knows me from that picture! :loll:

I'll be using the injections. Two weeks and done, no blood draws. I've done it before and about flipped out at the idea, but when I realized I could just aim and close my eyes, it was okay, and if I hit a stretch mark, I couldn't even feel it!
 
Today was my pre surgery education class. It was a full class, but only one other BTKR. Part was taken up by the nurse, and part by the PT. I appreciated that he demonstrated some things specifically for us B's. The best part of it was that my husband was there and learned a lot, because I don't think he's spending time reading on Bonesmart. No, the best part was that the PT reinforced everything I've been spouting from here about doing gentle therapy and NOT trying to push it. :yes 4:
 
My hunting and gathering continues. After spending the last week doing a trial run with my chair and footstool with risers, pillows and cushions, I gave up. I realized if I was struggling this much now, and am uncomfortable to boot, how would I possibly manage with both knees done? So I went out today and found a comfortable power lift chair that raises my knees above my hips. It is such a relief to know this is coming! I also have cryo cuffs on the way.

This will be the busiest week. Last minute catch up. In addition to 3 PT sessions, the pre-op physical and surgeon visit, I have my GYN, mammogram, dermatologist and dentist. Oh, and a nail appointment. Six months crammed into a week!:rolleyespink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom