Guest viewing is limited

Journey started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Vivian. We have a King size bed, so I think there will be room for both of us safely. I did think that I would send him to the guest room (upstairs) so I wouldn't worry about keeping him from sleeping, but then again, He'd never hear me if I needed help during the night.

It's so helpful to read posts from those, like yourself, that are going through it now. Actually, it's great to read how people are doing at different stages after surgery.
 
I'm feeling more committed to the idea that this is the right time for me to have this surgery, and that I have found the best surgeon and hospital for me. I feel more equipped with understanding and ready to have another visit with the OS. When I chatted with the surgical consultant on my first visit, I told her I had so much anxiety about this, and she suggested that my GP might give me a little something to help me get through (to) surgery, but I told her that all the anxiety is in making the decision. Once I pull the plug on the decision, I can move forward. I know it wasn't better, but was it easier when our MD's made all the decisions for us and we weren't expected to question it?
 
Hi Janet and welcome to Bonesmart! You are obviously so ready for this surgery but still have those worries that we all had prior to the op. If you have any questions ask away and we shall try to help and guide you.

I didn't have a recliner but considered buying one - glad I didn't bother as my armchair and stool did the job just fine. I used pillows to get the height on the stool. In the first two weeks I spent a lot of time in bed during the day with my leg elevated with a bed wedge. I would make my way downstairs in the late afternoon and use the armchair and stool. I think it's quite good to mix it up a bit.

It certainly sounds as if you have some good company during your surgery with the other ladies having TKR's - welcome to you all :thumb:
 
Thanks Jo. Once I'm in the house (condo) everything I need is on one floor. I am a liitle more concerned than I would be otherwise because I am leaning towards getting them both done at the same time. While it is really appealing to go through all of this just one time, the logistics get more complicated! But you are right, I'm so ready to have this done and over with now. I have a couple months to get prepared.
 
I laid awake not sleeping last night, thinking about not sleeping after surgery. :sleep:
 
Jacky, have you tried using a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side, and under both knees when sleeping on your back? That helped me alot before and after surgery.

My back improved greatly once my knee healed. During recovery, I went through bad back days until the knee was stable. Then it all came together and my back feels great now. Getting a new mattress a few months ago helped it all along too.:yes 4:

Mimi, the nurse at the pre-op class said and EMPHASIZED that after surgery the pillow is to be under our calf - not under the knee -- so that the leg will be straight and more stable -- or something like that. The doctors in our area apparently will yell at the nurses if they find a pillow under our knees, then the nurses will yell at us. I'm thinking my doctor would FIRST yell at me. So it may depend on the doctor and hospital as to what they want you to do.

I tend to sleep sometimes on my back and sometimes on my right side. The extra pillows for support around my leg will come in handy too.

Glad that your back and knee are doing better. :yay:
 
Hi, Janet. Welcome to the group. As you said, making the decision and finding out more information (and positive suggestions and tips) makes it better. This is a wonderful group to help us through every part of the process.

My hubby and I have a double recliner which I used for the first few nights after my arthroscopic surgery on my right knee back in 2005 -- surgery to basically clean things and repair a tear. This time after my RTKR we'll "move" to the guest bedroom which has 2 twin beds. That way he'll be more likely to hear me if I need help. The bed in our room is wonderful, but it's a platform bed with double sets of drawers underneath -- on both sides. Liam is tall enough that it's no problem for him, but I have a wooden step-stool which I use to get on the bed -- like those that were commonly used in times past with very high beds and step stools. I won't be using our double bed for awhile -- not until I'm much more stable (standing and walking). I've practiced how I'll get on and off the bed, but that will be for later.

Meanwhile you're doing great reading everything and absorbing information and suggestions, etc.
 
Becky, I think practicing is smart. I keep finding myself practicing, trying out different furniture. Actually, I have a leg imobilizing brace from my arthroscopic. I should put that on and try getting in and out, on and off. My bed is just under my... cheeks. I can sit on it, but barely. I usually climb on knee first and then roll in. Accessibility takes on new significance, doesn't it?

Have a wonderful Easter Sunday!
 
Janet,

Sounds like your bed is of a similar height (compared to our height) as mine. Mine is slightly below my waist. So there's no way that I can get on it comfortably without the wooden step stool. Maybe you can find one for your bed. It's easier than climbing on knee first - I imagine. Getting off is no problem though. It's just a matter of sliding off with the good leg reaching the floor first. Hope that you have a wonderful Easter Sunday too.
 
I think I'm having them both done at the same time, hence no good leg. But by the time I slide off the bed, I'm almost standing up, so maybe not so bad.
 
Yea Janet, I also have a high bed and it gets higher all the time since I think I'm shrinking! In the last couple years I've lost 2inches in height and gained 20 pounds! I don't know if there's a ratio there or if it's just me!:scratch: Everything I've read about knee replacement says a lot of people feel taller after they get replacements so I'm hope my buns will be the right height to get my ars into bed!:wink1: Hopefully by the time I get home I'll be able to kick start myself with a small stool. After I leave the hospital I have opted to go to a rehab facility for about a week. I'm not crazy about the idea, however I think it will be beneficial for myself and my husband. I'm looking forward to it all being over as I'm sure you are too!:yahoo:
 
I do have Builder Bob and Dora stepstools for the grandkids here. I can use them! I also am hoping to go to a rehab facility for a week or two. The insurance is more likely to approve it with two knees, but I think I would pay for it out of pocket if I had to. Can you choose your own or do you have to go to one they refer you to? I hate to miss so much of the spring and summer, but it would be even more depressing to do it in the winter, all cooped up and dealing with coats and boots. I have a beautiful garden to look at from my bedroom in the summer.
 
It is okay to have a pillow under your knee as long as the whole rest of your leg is also supported with pillows or a foam wedge. It's that you don't want a pillow JUST under the knee area and nowhere else.

I found it extremely uncomfortable to put pillows under my calf only in the first month or two after surgery. That forced my healing and tender knee into a more straight position that hurt after a few minutes.
 
I believe you can pick the facility you want. I've got one in mind that's really close to my house and I plan to visit it in a short while to check it out. You are certainly right about not having it done in the winter, to blahh! How soothing the garden will be when you get home!:wubroses:
 
Jacky, I have a couple that I want to check out as well. Neither are very close, being maybe 20 minutes away, but are much nicer than the rest. My husband goes out there to golf all the time, so I guess he can go out there for me. :flowerysmile:

Jamie, I can just imagine how uncomfortable that would be. I can't do that now, have to have the support under my knees as well. When I had arthroscopic surgery, my doctor told me to go ahead and use a pillow under my knee if it meant I could sleep, because I needed sleep. The PT said I hyper-extend a little anyway, but I wouldn't risk doing that after TKR with all that healing going on.
 
I made an appointment with my likely surgeon for next week, a call back interview for the job of doing my knees, if you will. This time I'll get his xrays done (took my own from Sept. last time) and a more detailed list of questions, thanks to BoneSmart.
 
Here's a question, and I'll put it out on it's own thread if need be. I have heard that cortisone injections in the weeks prior to surgery are not a good idea as it can slow healing down. No problem. But I can start a new series of Hyalgon injections next week and would finish about a month before surgery. On the one hand it seems pointless, but I want to go ahead with them in order to help me manage the weeks of preparation leading up to surgery. Is there a reason not to do so? I'll check with my doctor, but I know regarding cortisone injections, one doctor told someone not to have it within three months of surgery, and another doctor that told some one to go ahead and have it for the pain relief while waiting for the surgery. So are there differing points of view regarding Hyalgon that I should consider?
 
Janet, I don't have a clue as to the answer to your question, but I will tag Josephine 'cause I'm sure she can help you. @Josephine:

Take care. Judy
 
As you have found, varying opinions.

The problem with having any injections close to surgery is the danger of infection - but then how close is 'close'?

With cortisone it is as you say, a possibility that it will interfere with the process of healing.

Hyaluronidase - no idea, sorry.
 
I've never had a problem with the injections in the four years I've been getting them, but then I guess one never does until one does. I'll ask the OS, thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom