THR Journal THR #2 10/6/15, 1st in 2006

Unfortunately this recovery can be a roller coaster! Just hang in tight and roll with it!
 
Darn headache came back same time as previous evening. I am suspecting it is a combination of reacting to no pain meds, and end of day tiredness. Still it is better than preop.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
SIDE vs BACK sleeping? Anyone side sleeping soon after surgery? I know about double pillows length between legs but is it risky?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Weight gain shocker. I gained 18 lbs the first three days after surgery compared to preop. Eek

Of course my leg looked like a tree trunk.

I figured it was mostly water weight designed to make me get up and pee five times a night. Good leg work out?
[Bonesmart.org] Journal THR #2 10/6/15,  1st in 2006
 
How soon have any of you gone to side sleeping after surgery? This back sleeping is super uncomfortable for me no matter how many pillows I use.

I am 11 days post op.
Thanks..as I write this at 4 am with little easy sleep.
 
@hippywoman. I so sympathize with you on this. I am 9 days post op, and I tell you what, this sleeping on my back is about to drive me insane. Although I'm recovering slow and steady, I think it would go a bit quicker if I had more sleep and was rested. My PT said I could do it with pillows, but I truly believe I wouldn't, as I flip around to both sides too often. Hopefully, we can return to our favorite keeping positions soon.
Good luck Hippywoman, hang in there.:flwrysmile:
 
@hippywoman You may notice that I moved your post about sleeping into your recovery thread. We like to keep all post op information on your recovery thread so we have a history and can better advise you.

If your OS said you need to sleep on your back I am afraid that's what you need to do. If you were not given that restriction you can sleep on your non-op side with a pillow between your legs (lengthwise). The pillow ensures that your op leg does not fall forward crossing your midline. There is a slight risk of dislocation if that side falls forward so be sure you use a pillow.
 
@hippywoman. I so sympathize with you on this. I am 9 days post op, and I tell you what, this sleeping on my back is about to drive me insane. Although I'm recovering slow and steady, I think it would go a bit quicker if I had more sleep and was rested. My PT said I could do it with pillows, but I truly believe I wouldn't, as I flip around to both sides too often. Hopefully, we can return to our favorite keeping positions soon.
Good luck Hippywoman, hang in there.:flwrysmile:
Mimi#51 I had tried for about ten minutes on my side with pillows but it caused me muscle aches etc and I think I was afraid I was going to hurt something. Discharge instructions did not prohibit it but I guess I am leary too.

It ended up a chopped up night of little sleep between having to go pee a zillion times, a mild headache and not getting comfortable.

The hip recovery is progressively upward but you are right about sleep lack!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The back sleeping thing is no fun, for sure. I think that finding the right balance of pillows for propping up your upper and lower body is key. @Nana757 has great info about how she arranged her 'sleeping nest' in her recovery thread.
Take care and be well, @hippywoman. :)
 
The back sleeping thing is no fun, for sure. I think that finding the right balance of pillows for propping up your upper and lower body is key. @Nana757 has great info about how she arranged her 'sleeping nest' in her recovery thread.
Take care and be well, @hippywoman. :)
Thanks I'll ck it out. Last night between getting up to the loo 7 times and no good sleep position I had couple of moments of $%&- this

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
It sounds to me like you might be undermedicating. The prescription drugs really helped me to sleep. If I understood correctly, you cut your meds way back and used Tylenol because you were feeling better. I really had trouble (especially at night,) if I didn't take the tramadol and percoset on schedule. I was able to gradually wean myself off of them, but it took a total of about three weeks. Everything gets worse at night, for some reason.

I can't remember if you had the anterior or posterior technique. I had the anterior, and I was able to put on the stockings the day after the surgery. The therapist taught me. I sat on the side of the bed, and placed my foot on the bed. (with my knee bent.) Anterior restrictions are different, though. Once I was walking around more, I stopped wearing the stockings.

Sorry to hear about your headache. It doesn't surprise me. This is a very traumatic event. We all process stress and fear differently. There's a pressure point between the thumb and index finger that can be very helpful to press for headaches. You could probably google it.

Your photo and drawing are fabulous! Glad you have your dogs to keep you company. Keep us posted...
 
Day 11. Dear diary, I went on a date with my hubby. He drove me to Safeway where I walked around and bought stuff. It was erotic to get out of the house for the first time.

[Bonesmart.org] Journal THR #2 10/6/15,  1st in 2006

Okay so we really didn't go on the Harley. This pic was from 4 years and 15 pounds ago. I haven't been riding behind my hubby for a year now. Maybe this summer?
But our safeway date still was a milestone.



 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! Thanks for your note. I think I did cut down quickly. I am over the hump though but would not recommend it. I had a posterior but will ask the doc about your method. I am prettey flexible usually so think that might work.

They like us to wear stockings 6 weeks which seems long. Last time I bought lighter weight ones after a few weeks and could get them on.
I'll ck out the pressure point. You have great ideas. Thanks.
 
The restrictions are different for the posterior technique. I wouldn't want you to dislocate that hip. With the anterior technique, they stretch the muscle, so it was safe to put on the stockings the way I described. I didn't wear the stockings very long. Once I was up and around regularly I nixed them. Now they are being used in the garden to stake my amarynth plants.

Hope you are headache free.
 
The restrictions are different for the posterior technique. I wouldn't want you to dislocate that hip. With the anterior technique, they stretch the muscle, so it was safe to put on the stockings the way I described. I didn't wear the stockings very long. Once I was up and around regularly I nixed them. Now they are being used in the garden to stake my amarynth plants.

Hope you are headache free.
That's hilarious. Staking your plant. Actually my doc uses an innovative posterior approach he and another doc research tested ..in their15 year.... where no muscles etc are cut so I have pretty good flexibility back. I can do some easy yoga poses if I was so motivated

Stockings are not so tight anymore now that the swelling is down and my leg is not like a tree trunk . smile

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
I sure knew how you were feeling, your thoughts were spot on to what I've felt, you made me laugh. About the great sexy stockings, was given the gift in rehab. When I first got there didn't have them, so I asked why to find out it was not ordered by my doctor but the rehab doctor. The nurse said she didn't really know why that they are usually meant for those who don't do much moving around and I was always walking. She said if I refused them they have to comply, so guess what, never wore them again....hope everything is going well.
 
Day 12. I have been up most of the day. I cleaned out the inside of my car, cleaned cupboards, wrote a story, worked a photo album...wow I felt good.

I remembered to ice and lay down after reading other posts about over doing it. Thanks for that advice.

I even walked freeform most of the day, using my cane when outside.

Those first four days are a blurr now... I can barely remember the pain and discomfort, the constipation and then the runs. Shudder.

[Bonesmart.org] Journal THR #2 10/6/15,  1st in 2006

This was me after surgery.....and before the spinal wore off.
Next smile unmedicated smile was three days I bet.

But now it isv good and no pain meds
To all of you starting out on the 19th...you will be amazed at what life can be like again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how u can do it, I get up in the morning feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck, have to take my motrin 800 drink coffee for an hour before I feel like going upstairs to get dressed. 8 weeks tomorrow, I don't sleep well bouncing between side and back, I really don't look forward to bedtime and put it off, take half zanax before. So it's great you feel so good, I probably would have cleaned cupboards before surgery, let me be truthful, wouldn't have done it then either lol nor my car, what a mess.....again tho I'm glad you are feeling wonderful. My days are a blurr too, no idea what they knocked me out with for surgery but it gave me amnesia I guess because I remember NOTHING from when I entered their doors and very little in both recovery up to entering rehab, weird, bits and pieces. Continue on, sounds wonderful for you.
 
Hi @hippywoman! I hope that I can bring some relief to your sleeping dilemma. If you go to page 13 of my thread, you will see a rather comical photo of me in my nest. And my posts on page 14, #261 and #271, describes what is under those covers. I think I counted a total of 7 or 8 pillows at one point, not counting the wedge. Shortly after the photo was taken, I took away that big, fluffy arm rest cushion, because it just started to get in the way. Now, bear in mind that I was using our guest room bed and it has a memory foam mattress on it. I chose to use this bedroom since it was not only closer to the bathroom I would be using, but enabled my hubby and me to get restful sleeps, without worrying about disturbing each other.
I was also a side sleeper and found this to be so comfortable, that I still use this method. I have, however, just recently tried sleeping on my side, with one pillow, lengthwise, over my right (non op) leg, which is bent. Then I put one pillow at the foot of the bed, for my op side foot to rest on, and then another between my legs, up close to my crotch. There are also a couple of pillows behind me, for back support. But, I actually find myself rolling back onto my back, now, since it is so comfortable for me. Yeah...I know....an enormous amount of pillows and if you have to share a bed...forget it...unless you have a king size bed!
But, bottom line is, it is a trial and error situation finding your sweet spot. I hope some of this benefits you and you can finally get the sleep you need. Best of luck to you!

I hope by now your headaches have eased up as well. It sounds like they were more along the lines of tension headaches. I'm sorry I took so long to answer your question about sleeping. Also, I figured out last night that if you have flannel pillow cases, they keep your legs from slipping off the pillows. I slept the entire night on my side and woke up in the same position. One other thing I realized...you don't have to keep your op leg straight...you can bend it at the knee, if that's more comfortable for you while on your side.
Sorry for the "book"...have a great day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how u can do it, I get up in the morning feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck, have to take my motrin 800 drink coffee for an hour before I feel like going upstairs to get dressed. 8 weeks tomorrow, I don't sleep well bouncing between side and back, I really don't look forward to bedtime and put it off, take half zanax before. So it's great you feel so good, I probably would have cleaned cupboards before surgery, let me be truthful, wouldn't have done it then either lol nor my car, what a mess.....again tho I'm glad you are feeling wonderful. My days are a blurr too, no idea what they knocked me out with for surgery but it gave me amnesia I guess because I remember NOTHING from when I entered their doors and very little in both recovery up to entering rehab, weird, bits and pieces. Continue on, sounds wonderful for you.
Oh @Laceylake hugs. I know about that fear of nighttime. I have that too.

I still toss and turn and get up to pee every hour and a half. Last night I did sort of side sleep for a bit.

Sleep deprivation traditionally zaps me emotionally and physically so the other night I decided not to fight it. I figured I would sleep if I could and when I wasn't I would read or breathe slowly. I go on Facebook to look at old photos of fun times.

. Part of what helped me the last two days was to get off all pain pills I think . I have never been able to take them without feeling drugged the next day.

I take the asprin, mobic and Tylenol as doc prescribed but no pain pills. They just wipe me out.

I know I am going to have days like you are having. It is inevitable. I did last time too.

For me the low times come from the feelings of loss and vulnerability that are triggered by my need for the surgery. My body had given out and it would again and that gives me flashes of vulnerability.

Right now I am energized by every improvement but I suspect as the recovery curve flattens out more I will have other energy and emotional challenges.

I have been reading other posts and remembering my first surgery and it seems that can happen for me again.

My oldest son the other day asked me how things were going. I talked on about sleep and walking, recovery stuff etc etc.

He then asked, " how's things going in the rest of your life?"

"Uh...." Rest of my life?

"Mom your life for a while now has been about getting ready surgery. Now that it's over you might thinking about other goals that excite you."

Darn my son is smart. It's true, my brain and talk are centered on hippy stuff. So now I am thinking about a trip or something new to do in a few months. The planning I think will help me.

What goes on in the rest of your life? Smile

Hugs again.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom