THR Journal THR #2 10/6/15, 1st in 2006

hippywoman

Country
United States United States
I am a 65 year young country woman who has survived what could easily be called an interesting year. Of course interesting really means dramatic with highs and lows and joys and surprises. I won't go into them all here but the background to OPERATION DAY and then RECOVERY i bet affected all of us.

We rarely come into surgery as well rested and fully at peace and satisfied with our bodies and our lives. Yes?

We may have tried and wanted to eat, sleep well and manage everything perfectly prior to surgery, but that darn old hip pain impaired many aspects of our lives.

Tues Oct 6th 2015 was my Yippy Hippy day. I was ready to have that ongoing left hip pain disappear.

This was going to be my second hip replacement. Dr Duwelius did my right hip in May, 2006. I thought I was well versed in hip surgery and recovery because I was a veteran of a successful surgery.

Hmmm, well let me tell ya.

You know that saying about labor and delivery pain gets forgotten over time?

Well, I think that is partly true about after hip surgery. Getting that darn leg out of bed the first time? Ouch.

The toilet seat got so low while I was in surgery! Ouch .

Sure I want to get lots of fluids but, oh yeah, then you have to pee and use that darn low toilet. Ouch again.

and then there is the fact my body is ten years older that the first surgery. Ouch ouch and ouch

A week later I am doing the roller coaster ride of less aches and pains but more energy ebbs. I am interested in reading how others are doing "after."

And I will share a little of my dual journey as an active country woman of 65

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Welcome, @hippywoman! Congratulations on getting that second hip replaced and now you are on your way to a fully recovered, pain free life. Wonderful!
You've found a great place to share your journey. I look forward to hearing your experiences because I just had my first THR but need my other one done in the near future. Your wisdom will be appreciated.
And man, do I hear you about the low toilets! Yeesh!

Take care, and again: welcome. :flwrysmile:

I'm impressed that you're already posting, @hippywoman. Have you considered getting one of those raised toilet seats with the bars. That's what I had, and it was so comfortable! I ordered mine from Amazon.com. I'm glad you made it through your surgery. It seems like after the first two weeks, most people feel much better.

I agree with you as far as it's probably harder when you are older. I just had both of my hips done at age 50. I'm glad I didn't wait. I feel like it was easier for me to bounce back quickly.

I hope your recovery goes well, and that you have some help.

Just had my left hip replaced on October 5, right one was replaced in March. 2 surgeries within 6 months. For me, there wasn't much of a choice, the left one had to be done and that was that! I knew what I was in for, but I also knew that once I was over the first few weeks, I would be so happy not to have that awful arthritis pain anymore. The alternative (eventual wheelchair bound) was not something I could even entertain.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Wow what a treat to get three comments from folks who understand! It's almost 2am and it is hard to sleep for the first time post op. I am not used to back sleeping ...OK better try. I am less effective at emotional management when I am tired..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm impressed that you're already posting, @hippywoman. Have you considered getting one of those raised toilet seats with the bars. That's what I had, and it was so comfortable! I ordered mine from Amazon.com. I'm glad you made it through your surgery. It seems like after the first two weeks, most people feel much better.

I agree with you as far as it's probably harder when you are older. I just had both of my hips done at age 50. I'm glad I didn't wait. I feel like it was easier for me to bounce back quickly.

I hope your recovery goes well, and that you have some help.
I got a seat with rails that sits over the toilet yesterday. That was a blessing

Oh, I'm so glad. I just loved that toilet seat. It was such a relief to sit down and feel comfortable and safe! Hope you are feeling better. I've had a lot of emotions come up since the surgery, too.

IMG_20151014_105030122.jpg

DAY 9 Today I awoke to autumn and a blue sky brilliant in the morning sun. I walked out on the deck with few aches. I used the walker, just in case, but I did not need to lean on it. I could have used a cane but with two active shitzus I rather like my protective shield right now.

The doggies ran in the sun and I actually had a smile on my face and inside of me.

Yesterday? The week anniversary of surgery was a whole different world. The sky was as blue but so was I. I felt emotional, weary, discouraged, alien. I wondered who I was.

A few days before I had a weird dream that lingered into awakening. I wondered whose leg was attached to me. It did not feel like mine. I woke not sure what to do about the LEG that now had taken hold of me.

Yesterday that sense of being pieced together with alien parts came back. I was close to tears throughout the day though the physical discomfort was lessening.

My career and training was in the trauma side of social work, primarily with child abuse victims and their families. I have given multiple workshops, supervised staff and written much on dealing with trauma so I am skilled in addressing loss and PTSD.

Yesterday those skills I have sucked! You know that concept of emotional reasoning that when you feel bad the world can look bad? Or when you feel discouraged the world can look hopeless?

Well I was doing emotional reasoning all over the place. I felt exhausted so I had flash thoughts of being helpless for ages. I did not feel like the old me so I had flash thoughts about losing my former myself and my former life.

It is not that I was anxious or worried as that would have way taken way too much effort. I just felt blue and the fleeting thoughts my mind created just fed that sense of loss.

Luckily my hubby Ray also has great skills dealing with PTSD and loss. He was a therapist and national lecturer on PTSD for 30 years. He listened and asked gentle questions, offering ideas about what might be occurring. They were things I knew. I just needed the time to cry and be reminded I wasn't hopelessly, forever doomed. (smile)

I spent the day watching movies, resting, walking, crying and waiting for the new sunrise to hopefully feel life was okay. The sun rose and life is okay.

Phew!

It made me think about all the people in my life who have made it through tough times. I used to draw bowling pin people in their honor. I think I will start again, drawing some of you. You inspire me. You are definitely not letting life bowl you over!

ai2.wp.com_creatingthelandofafter.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_09_more13031.jpg

@hippywoman I have been through this journey twice. And yes, it is sometimes a real roller coaster of emotions. I am sorry you are having to go through this but glad you have the support you need. Let the emotions flow - unfortunately it's all a part of this recovery.

I'll leave your official recovery articles here for you to refer back to. Sounds like you need to read the Post Op Blues article. It's real but this too shall pass!
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@Jaycey Thanks for the link to the articles. and your encouragement. I like to read up on ways to help myself... and know I am delightfully normal

Well you put into words what I have felt with both a prosthetic knee and now a hip; " pieced together by alien parts ".
It is a terrible feeling and only by consciously challenging the thought and rationally concluding that the foreign parts are the best alternative can we ever accept them. It's s battle that has to be fought ovef and over, as I'm sure you know too well.
Thanks for your sincerity and ability to put into words our innermost feelings.
Wishing you s speedy recovery.

aimages.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_14_b0b99d882f1ab3b6f45cf3586fc355f3.jpg

My healing companions. munchkin, buddy and the ice pack. Buddy and Munchkin are great as long as they are not running around on the floor.I feel cuddled.

Help! How do you put on these compression stockings by yourself? Last hip the stockings were not as tight and easier to put on. These white things are some sicko's idea of a joke. My hubby has to help me put them on with a baggie over the foot, powder etc. I can't figure out how I can do it by myself which I will need to do. What are your tricks?

@hippywoman - short answer, you don't put them on yourself. There is no way in the world any hippie can put TEDs on without help. They are much too tight and trying this yourself will break every restriction you have.

My suggestion is to wear them with the help of your husband until your appointment for suture removal. Then ask the nurse/doc about them. If you have already had your sutures removed, call your family doc or your surgeon's office. Most of us ditched them as soon as we could. If you are any blood thinning medication and moving around regularly during the day you may not need the darn things!

My first post op appt is six weeks out as I have butterfly sutures that dissolve. I am glad to hear I am not uncoordinated.

@Hippywomen you put my thoughts into words, it does get better, the sun shines, and we are happy!

@hippywoman - short answer, you don't put them on yourself. There is no way in the world any hippie can put TEDs on without help. They are much too tight and trying this yourself will break every restriction you have.

My suggestion is to wear them with the help of your husband until your appointment for suture removal. Then ask the nurse/doc about them. If you have already had your sutures removed, call your family doc or your surgeon's office. Most of us ditched them as soon as we could. If you are any blood thinning medication and moving around regularly during the day you may not need the darn things!
Thanks @Jaycey Given that my stitches are butterflies that dissolve so my first follow up appt is not for 5 weeks, just wondering how long most folks wear them. Seems like fols have more appts than my doc makes. Of course I am five hr drive to where I had surgery so follow ups are less frequent for me than others I suspect.

DAY 10 I think the creature called RECOVERY has a weird sense of humor. She sure likes to play tricks on me.

Yesterday was an "I can do this day" with only a few Tylenol, good rests, fluids, walking and peace. I even had some moments of zero pain. Zero pain . . . Wow!

Then the trickster RECOVERY decided I needed a reminder of how important she was. Starting at 5:00 PM a headache took residence across my forehead. Nothing worked. More water, Tylenol and even a migraine combo pill but the headache kept growing.

It persisted all night making sleep patchy. I pulled out my tele/computer/camera/clock thingy and scanned your posts and the articles to see what might be going on.

Could it be that I was not taking diluadid any more like I did the first few days? Maybe. This I could last out by staying hydrated. If it persisted I learned I could check with my doc in the morning about titrating down the dosage. I just did not want to take them again, but I would see.

Could it be neck pain from sleeping on my back which I never do? Possibly. Massaging my neck as suggested helped. I found my shoulders were tight so I did some slow deep breathing and made myself relax my shoulders.

I can hardly wait until I can comfortably and confidently sleep on my side like I have for 65 years!

Could it be a blood clot or potential stroke? I read about that too but I had no other symptoms. Thanks for listing those and reminding me to check with my doctor, not self diagnosis.

Could it be a brain tumor or flu coming on? Ok I was getting a little dramatic. Breathe Breathe.

This morning the headache was less so I am taking it easy, drinking and eating well. Of course constipation is backing( RECOVERY playing her tricks) but I know what to do.

So all in all yesterday was a great day and a mildly uncomfortable night. Today is okay and I am not pushing myself to be perfect patient. Just eating well, drinking lots of fluids, icing, watching movies and walking etc. Emotions are okay. (phew)

Thanks for your help last night even though you were asleep and I was reading your old posts. You got me through.

I AM SO GLAD I HAD HIP SURGERY.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member