• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Revision TKR Jo's revision arthroplasty

OP
OP
Josephine

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well, things aren't so good, I'm afraid. My knee is very good though the incision site is almost totally healed. But I still get heat though no swelling in the knee. It's 9 weeks out and though I'm no longer taking pain meds - apart from the occasional paracetamol, usually at night - I still have to be careful with walking and going out shopping and such. That generally is okay but when I get home, my knee aches like the very devil! The one thing that bothers me more than anything is a pain in my lower shin and ankle. I mentioned this to the surgeon at my 6 week check-up and he admitted it was 'probably' his fault because he'd 'given my lower leg a pretty good hammering during the 4½ surgery because the tibial stem was very difficult to get in! That was nice to know!

It's now been another 4 weeks since and my shin is still inflamed and painful and when I get into bed, the extra heat makes it necessary to take a small dose of oramorph. I have another appointment with him on 25th and intend to talk to him about it then.

I'm seeing him then because when I went previously, everyone kept commenting that I was as 'white as a sheet' so he wanted some bloods done. So he wants to discuss the results with me. But my GP already got them so she told me they're all clear! Still no idea why I was so pale though, except I wasn't eating at all!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi Jo.
Hate to know you have had alot of struggles and you aren't feeling like things are bouncing back as quickly as you'd like.
Please do remind yourself to eat for nutrition, if not for hunger.
Pretend you are one of your patients. :) :-) (:
Liver and onions? Good to plump up your blood.
Sending good mojo your way!

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
Sounds like you have a strong tibia bone. Sorry you have not been eating well and you have pain from the hammering. I hope the pain will decrease and your appetite will increase, with time. Sometimes a new entree helps pique my appetite.

Debru4

graduate
Country
Your expertise has been missed here on the forum! I'm glad you have been taking your own advise and putting your recovery first by not returning to your job on the forum before you're ready. I'm so sorry to hear you have had some setbacks, and hope that you will soon find yourself feeling stronger, and feeling less pain. Good luck with your upcoming appointments, and your recovery.

Baxty

Country
Have you tried prescription topical Voltaren gel for your shin/ankle? Best wishes for your recovery.

marieltha

graduate
Country
Hammering? Ouch.
Hope you get relief soon.
Snuggle with those cats.

Lindylee

graduate
Country
Sorry to hear you're struggling. It sounds as if I'm trying to tell my grandmother to suck eggs and you may have tried it anyway, but I wonder if your tip to wrap the leg in clingfilm might help? On a different forum someone found that massaging her leg with castor oil at night before wrapping in clingfilm really helped with inflammation and night pain.

sistersinhim

Country
it was 'probably' his fault because he'd 'given my lower leg a pretty good hammering during the 4½ surgery because the tibial stem was very difficult to get in!
I gritted my teeth when I read this. No wonder your shin and ankle are hurting! But, you already know you are very early in your recovery. Going shopping at 2 months is really rough on a baby knee. Can you have the things you need delivered?

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
Ouch.. ouch.. ouch... not liking the sound of those long stems Jo .....hoping time will see those
pains in your shin & ankle go away...
We are all wishing you well ... having just had a TKR if a revision is ever mentioned I will run for the hills... :no-fin:

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Ow, your poor leg! Good to see you around Josephine! :wave:

4quilts

Country
@Josephine There aren't enough words to express how grateful I am to you. I read and re-read your advice to others during my darkest hours. You were my sunshine. I am so sorry you are going through this journey. You are in my prayers.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm so sorry you're having a bit of a rough go of things, Jo. You are missed here, but I am glad you're taking the time you need to fully recover before resuming your duties. I totally understand the long stems and the pain they can cause; my very best good wishes and prayers for the bone remodeling needed to stop that pain are speeding your way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carreg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom