Guest viewing is limited

TKR JoJo's Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
:yes!: Congratulations on sleeping through the night! A great milestone in the recovery road.
 
Than you @tiredwife! I am so glad that your husband is doing so well!
I am grateful to get back to work and know that I am not hurting my new knee! Although doing so makes my knee hurt (can't have it both ways!). But I've come a long way and know that soon all this will be behind me.
I am so thankful for my husband who has taken such wonderful care of me, and patiently !

I hope y'all get to see some fireworks to celebrate!
 
@Josephine, he wants to try dry needle therapy on my muscles (just like trigger point injections except no medication)'. I don't mind if it will help get rid of the knots in my thighs! Would like your expert opinion on this when you can grab a few moments!
As far as I know, it's a kind of acupuncture.
 
As far as I know, it's a kind of acupuncture.

I had it done to me. It uses acupuncture needles but they are inserted much deeper. In my case it was to loosen knots in my hamstring. It was momentary but quite painful but ultimately helped.
 
Thanks Phil for not jumping on the obvious bait there! (My knees are in the gutter)
 
@Quasi I did acupuncture. It helped, but after 3 treatments, I started freaking out about the needles. Dry needling is deeper and that scares me but have heard it can be effective.
I hope your day has been restful. Think of you often.
~hopefaith
 
The post above wouldn't let me put the word I wanted. It wasn't a cus word. Oh well. The needles scared me a lot!
 
@kneeper thank you for the encouragement regarding my 3 good nights of sleep! Although I am still up tonight, I will be back in my usual routine of working, so I know I'll have more of that wonderful sleep!

@hopefaith : If you were going to say that needles freak you out, that's ok! I have had trigger joint injections in my upper back for thoracic pain, and it did not bother me, except I broke out in hives because I was allergic to the medication. After taking a Benadryl the hives went away. I have also had facet joint injections I my lumbar area, dour at a time, and I was okay with those. Now I know this is different, because my whole knee and thigh area are in pain, so I may scream and beg him to stop! I just wanted to know if it will belp break up the knots I. My thigh! So if anybody is reading this and has has dry needle therapy done,please let know! Thanks much@

@Phil75070 - Did you have the dry needle therapy done? When you said it was painful, is it painful only for the time the needle is in your leg or after, also! I need to know if you think this will help the knots in my thighs. There are so many when I turn too sleep on that side of my body I can feel them and they hurt now,
Please let me know your recommendation ! Thank you!
 
From what I have heard, dry needling works for some people. Talk to your PT and find out how long he has been doing dry needling, more practice equals better results.
 
Did you have the dry needle therapy done? When you said it was painful, is it painful only for the time the needle is in your leg or after, also! I need to know if you think this will help the knots in my thighs. There are so many when I turn too sleep on that side of my body I can feel them and they hurt now,
Please let me know your recommendation !

It wasn't something I asked to be done, that was for sure. However, the knots that my PT felt were so bad, so tight that something needed to be done. The pain only lasted for the few seconds that the needle was inserted. There may be other remedies than the dry needle technique, such as deep tissue massage, etc.
 
@Quasi I have had dry needling done by one of the PT in the clinic I go to. I've had needling done on my shoulder and neck. The needle insertion wasn't painful, the pain comes from the muscle contraction which feels like a bad cramp. And there are sometimes it took my breath away but I have no regrets on ever having it done. It takes those knots away. It usually takes a couple of sessions for them to get that muscle knot to fully release. The first time I had it done on my shoulder it was pretty achy for several hours after. But a couple of Tylenol and ice (or maybe I used heat - you'll have to ask your PT) and I was fine. If I had knots in my quads I wouldn't hesitate for a minute in having my PT do dry needling on it. Granted, everyone's pain level is different. So what isn't painful for me may be painful for others. I've had muscle knots worked out by massage and needling and I would choose needling any day. I think it's a short term pain whereas when my massage therapist works on knots it feels so painful just because she has to keep working that spot over and over. Just make sure your PT has had training and is certified. Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it.
 
@midwest girl

Thank you so much for your reply and sharing your experience with me. I have had tons of needle injections including facet joint injections in my back without having tremendous pain, so I am more concerned to know whether the procedure itself would be helpful. After reading your testimony, I think it would be a yes from me! I have had back massages that never got the knots out, and I cannot effectively continue with my PT as far as gaining ROM and extension until I bring my pain level down, so thank you for your input! I have an appointment Monday, and I will let you know how it goes!

How are you doing! Are you up and moving around pain free yet? We had our surgery on same day!
Hope you are doing well.

Thank you again!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Phil75070
Thank you for your input. As I am back to work full time as of last week and my PT is only 2 blocks from where I work,I think I will go ahead and have this done so I can move ahead in my recovery. My PT was recommended by four of our patients that had been referred to this facility (I work in the neurology field ). So that says a lot!
I will keep you posted of the results ! Thank you again"
 
@pumpkin
Can you help me change title of my thread to "JoJo's Musings"

I didn't know how to do it, but I tried to no avail !!!!

:dubious: I know this is prob not your area of expertise by didn't know who else to ask. Just let me know who I need to contact and I will do so! Thanks!
Jo Anne
 
@Quasi I'm doing ok, thanks for asking. I'm up and moving around but not exactly pain free. I think I have more good days then bad though. Which is a good thing. Still not back to work yet. I will be sometime this month tho. Something I'm going to ask my PT about tomorrow. Sleep is still an issue. I'm just not getting a full restful night of sleep yet. That should be interesting when I start back to work! Hope you had a good holiday weekend!!
 
@midwest girl

I hate you have to go back to work! It has been one of the most stressful times of my life, these last three weeks working. But it wasn't until a week and a half ago that I went back full time that made such the difference so astounding! Getting up in the morning when I just went to sleep,getting dressed ,putting makeup on and blowdrying hair feels like I have already worked a whole day. The time passes so quickly I forget to ice, forget my pain meds and needless to say am happy that my husband is still driving me, as I pass out in the car on the way home!

As far as my holiday, you guessed it! I rested, iced and elevated and watched some movies.

Have to do about two hours of work tonight on computer , but I'll be up anyway :bored: !

I will be keeping you in my prayers!
JoAnne
 
What I would give for just one pain free 24 period! Someday!!!
 
@midwest girl

[Bonesmart.org] JoJo's Musings
[Bonesmart.org] JoJo's Musings


There will come a day when you most definitely will have a full pain free day. And we both shall have a night of heavenly sleep! I am quite sure of it !
Take care!
JoAnne
 
I changed the thread title for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom