Guest viewing is limited

TKR JoJo's Musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Quasi ,
I read your post in HopeFaiths thread. @Josephine can help answer your questions and steer you in the right direction.
Sorry to hear you are having so many challenges with your knee.
Hello @hopefaith , @tiredwife , @Betsy-Knees-7-2014 , @kneeper , @marmora , @pumpkin!

I have lost my way on this forum for a while. Could not get on, had problems with signing on, password problems, etc. I just got on and it has taken me an hour and I have to get some sleep as I need to get up at 5:00 to go to work.
Some updates on knee: PT suggested last week I go back to surgeon as I have pain right below knee cap and he has been working so hard trying to help it to no avail, scar has started to burn, is red and mean looking, of course I have constant swelling due to working 9 to 10 hours a day. My other knee is in very bad shape, and it taked a crutch and my husband to help me get up and down stairs.
Went to church for first time today since surgery and loved seeing every one, then went to Walmart to pick up some stuff and could barely walk on either keg by the time I got hope. Still on pain meds 3 times a day. Also now have a horrendous rash on both legs, and behind my neck. The kensio tape was so helping me and in the last month I have had no difficulty with any rash, it was being changed in between visits to PT. Only used it twice on other knee, last time at least two weeks ago. All of a sudden this rash popped up, raised , red and bumpy, and of course itching . I am going to my internist tomorrow as the cortisone cream is doing nothing for it. My husband thinks it is nerves, and one of the doctors I work with said it can be caused by long term use of pain meds..I don't know. But my knee now looks like I just had surgery about two weeks ago. It has been a difficult month to say the least, and my energy level is so very low. I will have doctor take blood for possible anemia, since I am borderline on that anyway, I have missed you guys more than you know.
I am very depressed and miserable, and really am so tired of this recovery, it is taking way too long. We are supposed to be going to our cottage at the Outer Banks Sept 15th, and I have no desire to go or do anything , I am sure most of you have felt this way one time or another during your recovery. I am just so disappointed because I had been doing so much better. The pain has come back almost full course, along with the sharp jolts of pain going directly to my kneecap.
I must get some sleep, wanted you all to know that I miss you and think of you often. I am frustrated beyond belief with the new site and not being able to get on, along with my set back in healing. I pray you are all doing well and taking good care if yourselves, as I do care about all of you.
I have got to go take a pain pill and get some sleep. I
Love you guys! And boy have I missed y'all!
 
So sorry to read of all the issues you are having. I do hope you find some solutions soon. Please take care!
 
@Quasi I wanted to come over here too and say how sorry I am that you are going through all of this!!! Please let us know how you are doing. I think the site is working a lot better now. I am thinking and praying for you.
~hopefaith
 
I am frustrated beyond belief with the new site and not being able to get on
@Quasi we rolled back from the new site as so many people were having problems with it. So It's not just you. But we won't use the new site again until these bugs are fixed.
PT suggested last week I go back to surgeon as I have pain right below knee cap and he has been working so hard trying to help it to no avail, scar has started to burn, is red and mean looking, of course I have constant swelling due to working 9 to 10 hours a day.
Well I would respectfully suggest that he shouldn't have worked 'so hard' as the way to get these inflammatory issues to settle down is to leave them alone for a while! Plus your working so much would have been a great factor in it to begin with. Cause and effect my dear. If you are working 9-10 hours a day and still only 12 weeks out, this is your problem.
All of a sudden this rash popped up, raised , red and bumpy, and of course itching . I am going to my internist tomorrow as the cortisone cream is doing nothing for it. My husband thinks it is nerves, and one of the doctors I work with said it can be caused by long term use of pain meds..I don't know. But my knee now looks like I just had surgery about two weeks ago. Still on pain meds 3 times a day.
I don't know what to suggest about your rash. Dermatology is not a subject I am too familiar with but I do know there are numerous reasons for getting skin issues, some are environmental, some contact issues and others can be induced by something we've ingested from pills to prawns! And yes, rashes can also be caused by stress or 'nerves'. Sometimes one never finds a reason.

But the doctor who said it could be due to long term use of pain meds is barking up the wrong tree in my opinion. Three months is not a great deal of time to be taking what you are taking. I was on my full prescription of pain meds for 4 months! I think since you went back to work so early, this would be entirely to be expected.

I did ask you my famous questions in an earlier post but you never answered them, so her ethey are again ...

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] JoJo's Musings
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
@Quasi hope to hear what the doc. Said about your rash. And how are you knee wise also?
Miss you lots.
Love,
~~hopefaith
MaryJean
 
[Bonesmart.org] JoJo's Musings Hello @hopefaith, @kneeper, @Pumpkin,@tiredwife, @marmora, @Betsy-Knees-7-2014, @Daystar, @ironman60,@Jozilla :loveshwr:!!
Wow, time goes by so fast! I have missed all the caring thoughtful people on this forum. Finally am having some downtime and feeling like writing , so I shall get on with it! I am almost 5 months out and have not had one single day where I have not had swelling in at least one knee along with pain. I was looking back on my photos that I have taken of my "Knee Recovery" and there is not any difference between the August photo and today's . Had Rt knee drained for fluid and steroid shot two weeks. I have noticed that on the left side of knee you can see a raised area That looks like part of the prothesis which is causing pain.
The tendinitis of the Patella has turned into what feels like an implant that is too big. I can feel the metal with my finger on the left side of the patella and it sticks out so you can see a raised area. During the day swelling and pain level about 4, at night leg swollen from thigh to ankle! Scar stings and hurts even during the day, but much worse at night. Pain level about 7. Still on hydrocodone and Tylenol. SO... I have an appointment with another OS that I saw for years to re access my progress and to take X-rays. I am hoping and praying that what I am thinking will not be validated through the X-rays.


The positive news is that I am walking well, although I can not walk too long as still tire out so easily ( yeah working 10 hour days will do that, duh!). Also I am so exhausted at night that YEA! I am sleeping all night long! So grateful! But my strength is not there for me to walk for long distances or time, although I did walk on the hard sand at the beach a few weeks ago and loved it!


Just to feel the breeze and the sand between my toes made me feel totally content and thankful to be alive!

But, alas, back to the real world way too soon.

I will update after seeing my OS this coming Wednesday. I have read a few threads today and everyone seems to be doing rather well in the healing process. I am so glad! Nobody and I mean nobody understands what we go through with this operation but all of you "bone smarties". I've waited far too long to get back in touch with you all. And truly have never been part of a group of people who are so caring, loving, sympathetic and fun!

I will close with one of my favorite quotes!


[Bonesmart.org] JoJo's Musings


Praying for you all, blessings for a bright new future with a workable, pain free knee, and healed mind and spirit! Love, Jo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Quasi,
Glad to see your post, sorry you have to seek out a second opinion. My implant sticks out in the same place on the outside, our bodies can adjust to some overhang so it may be OK in the long run.
Love your Velveteen Rabbit qoute!
Don't be a stranger,
 
@Quasi

Loved the first picture !
You are right to be concerned about your knee and wise to go for a second opinion.

Thanks for the update and good to hear from you again,
Cathie
 
@marmora , Thank you for your input. I have had a lot going on in the last month, put Lord willing, things will slow down and I will be able to post more often. Will keep post updated on what OS finds this coming Wednesday. Hoping for a good report.

Jo
 
:wave: Good to see you, but sorry you're still having trouble. I hope you can find something out from this other OS.
 
Good evening ! @hopefaith, @kneeper , @pumpkin, @marmora,@Jozilla, @Daystar ...

Update on knee. Had a second opinion from an OS that I had seen previously . He X-rayed both knees, happy to report that he stated that my OS did an outstanding job on my replacement with the fit. Everything is as it should be except the area that has given me constant
"Pain and ""Agony" (reference to the "Hercules" movie, but so fitting!) the area below my knee cap and off to the left said is solid scar tissue. So tons of massage for me coming up in order to prevent having to have surgery! I sure hope I remember er to do this 3 times a day.
My life is a blur, I take a pain pill way after the area has been hurting for hours! Oh my goodness, I just saw my husband drive up to meet me at the OS office. He got there before me (I am NOT a morning person) and I starting laughing, telling him that when I never have been on time and that I'll probably miss my angel escort to heaven and will have to wait until God's next messenger comes to me. Wow, that would be a nightmare!

I digress, my right knee has bone spurs both on upper and lower bones, causing the pain and swelling along inner knee with an awful knock knee ! !He gave me Tramadol for the rt knee and told me to ice as often as I could. He also told me I can't drive more than an hour, so as of tomorrow I have to go the the other office 52 mikes away. Okay, Now I know The Lord is really up to something!

Please pray for my husband, he has a job interview in the morning (coincidence ?)

I sincerely hope that all is going well, or at least improving , with your knees and your individual emotional needs. The emotions are so much a part of all of this. Lifting you up to the One who holds you in The palm of His hand, I pray for each and every one of you.
Hugs!
Jo


[Bonesmart.org] JoJo's Musings
 
Hugs to you Jo @Quasi

Your second opinion OS visit seemed to give you some additional,answers as to what could be causing you such continued pain and the option of extensive massage vs surgery seems to be the way to go and hope that it works.

And hopefully, the shorter drive of 52 miles to work will help to ease the pain, as you have long working day once you get there.

This recovery is a hard and long road with many turns and ups & downs and as you say only those who have walked the walk truly understand.

Warm wishes for your husband's job interview today.

Take care and good to hear from you on the forum, please do drop in to let everyone know how you are getting on.

Cathie
 
@Quasi Sounds like you have been having some really tough times. I am glad that the xrays showed that the implants are fine, I hope the scar tissue will soon be taken care of. I am hoping your husbands interview went well. Take care of you!
 
Hello Jo @Quasi
Wishing you a comfortable and pleasant Autumnal Sunday and thinking of you.
Cathie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom