THR JoeKnows Recovery

Well, the pain is back. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. l just started to get the groin pain/Trendelenburg gait at (yet another) kids' birthday party this afternoon. Came home and iced, now applying heat since that's seemed to help before.

Definitely gonna call the surgeon and get the wire out. Hopefully that's it, though my wire doesn't look anywhere near as nasty as others who have posted similar stories.

Of course I'm going to Oregon to help watch my nephew while my brother recovers from an ankle fusion on Tuesday... I'll reluctantly bring the cane with me I guess.
 
I'm sorry to read this, Joe.
Please stay in touch and let us know what your surgeon advises.
Safe travels to Oregon on Tuesday. You're a trooper, going to care for your brother / nephew in the midst of your own pain.
Wishing you comfort.
@JoeKnows
 
:sad:
I, too, am sorry you are still having to deal with this.
Let us know when they get this scheduled and please do baby that hip. I know you will be glad to be rid of this pain and get back to your life.
 
So what, exactly, were you doing at the children's party?
 
@Josephine - Nothing physically demanding - mostly eating tacos and sweating in the 103 degree heat. I've certainly engaged in more strenuous activities in the past few months without any issue. (EDIT: to clarify the "mostly" in that sentence, the most physically intensive thing I did was walk quickly when my two year old appeared to be preparing to jump out of a bounce house).

So far today, I've had no pain. I'm at a loss as to what triggers this (if there even is a specific trigger).
 
Well that might be life as you remembered it at this party but I'll warrant you were a lot more active than usual, yes?
 
@Josephine - honestly, no, this was a calm weekend as compared to months before. Since I tapered off posting here, I've done far more without anything worse than a sore muscle (e.g., reorganized my garage, moved furniture, planted trees, fixed sprinklers, etc). This weekend I mostly just worked (office job) and went to this party where I primarily sat.

This did, however, get kicked off with an active weekend toward the beginning of June, specifically swimming with my overconfident preschooler - it's just weird that it seems to come and go at random since then. Any advice is appreciated.
 
That's how our bodies work. Come and go, better and worse. That's life!
 
Hi Joe,

Just caught up with your thread and was wondering if the cortisone shot is still working? I hope so. Yes, keep us posted on if you decide to remove the cable. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

I'm enjoying a summer of normal activity, including hiking, for the first time in two years. It's wonderful!
 
@BionicButt Pretty much still working, though it definitely still comes and goes. I'm definitely trying to get the wire taken out, but apparently my surgeons office is having staffing problems and I can't get through to anyone. I've realized I need to be cautious standing up from a squatting position, and if I do trigger something rest is the key. Oddly, ice seems to make it worse, but heat works.
 
:bawl:Oh no, Joe! Sorry to hear about your recent problems. Just happened to be online looking around after my SECOND THR- left side this time, and noticed your post. Mine was a pretty standard posterior replacement, like last time, almost exactly a year later. Agree with you that cortisone is amazing... it's just too bad it's not permanent! HOpe you're able to get the cable removal scheduled quickly- keep us posted! :flwrysmile:
 
I am sorry you are having to have another procedure, Joe.

But @BionicButt and @prairienut (hey...they rhyme)
are examples of folks who are certainly glad they got this done and are back to their lives.
Will be thinking of you as you wait.:yes:
 
Hi Joe,
I'm sorry you have to go through this, but hopefully it brings you the relief you're seeking.
Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Have a great rest of the week!
@JoeKnows
 
Hi Joe,

I was catching up on your thread and realized I'd missed the last postings about your pain returning. I'm glad you have scheduled the cable removal. Please let us know how it goes. It was a miracle for me and I hope it will be for you as well.

I just got back from a camping/hiking trip. Last year on the same trip, I could hardly hike an easy mile. At that time, my cable was still in and it was my problem. This year I did a really challenging, straight up and down, 6-mile trail. (I thought it was 4 when we started and not that difficult.) My goal was to get back to 5 miles of moderate hiking, which I can easily do now. There is no pain and I feel my legs strong and balanced under me again.

I'll hold the vision for you that you will soon be walking and living your life pain free. The surgery is easy compared to a THR and recovery for me was very fast.

I'll be thinking of you on 8/20.
 
Hi @JoeKnows - sorry to read of your troubles. I do hope that having that pesky cerclage wire removed resolves your pain. The 'biting' pain that I had with mine went away immediately, it was the trauma of having that leg opened up 3 times in 6 months that kept me down. It's still really tender on that side and I experience "clicking, popping" with certain movements. I'm not sure if it will eventually go away completely or is just part of me now. I will cross my fingers that you have a great experience from having it out like @BionicButt did! (She inspires me!)

Just remember to ICE again after having that done and be kind to your hip because the soft tissue does get moved around trying to get that wire free (hope that isn't too graphic)!!

Kim
 
Good grief, @JoeKnows, you were on the forum when I had my first hip replacement and sad to see you back with a problem that will require a further procedure. I, of course, have zilch to offer with respect to this problem, but just wanted to say I'm sorry to read about the latest development but hope that the wire removal in August will bring immediate and permanent relief. Stupid hips!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom