THR JoeKnows Recovery

Everything went pretty well, even though I drafted Lamar Miller about two minutes before he tore his ACL. The drive was fine, I forced myself to stop and stretch even though I didn't want to. I feel like it's improving quickly, I've been walking around without the cane a bit, but limping so I'll stay on it.

Itching and bruising are annoying, but expected. I wish I could stretch more aggressively, but I know that should wait until it's healed more. I'd also love to go sit in a jacuzzi, but that's gonna be a while.

My chiropractor friend told me he had a client for a while with a severely frayed wire, so he thought it was good I decided to take it out. Of course he then drunkenly patted me right on the incision, which was less than helpful.
 
Last edited:
Glad you made the trip and return unscathed...for the most part:)
Everything went pretty well, even though I drafted Lamar Miller about two minutes before he tore his ACL
Og my stars...:nah:

My chiropractor friend told me he had a client for a while with a severely frayed wire, so he thought it was good I decided to take it out. Of course he then drunkenly patted me right on the incision, which was less than helpful.
:oyvey:
Bet any time the babes want to bump about, that is an unwitting target.
No one ever steps on your foot until you have a stubbed toe, right?
Once again, be patient:beg:
Don't want any hiccups with this.
Hope today is a good day. :)
 
Glad to read you survived the long drive to and from the draft, @JoeKnows, although bummer about the Miller draft. My husband occasionally does a draft with friends and he's had terrible luck with his selections. The only time he did well was when he got a friend to pick for him, and he ended up in second place, a $100 win as I recall. Good to know you are resisting the urge to aggressively stretch and yes, although a jacuzzi soak is in your future, good to avoid now. You sound like things are going well and that you are--gasp--being sensible about this recovery--here's hoping it's a speedy one!
 
Good Morning,
Bummer on Miller, that's too bad.
Look at you stopping and stretching even though you didn't want to. Go Joe!
I'm sure that's why the drive was bearable. I'll bet it was good to get together with old friends especially after the events of the past week. I'm asssuming that old familiar pain is gone since you didn't mention it. Mission accomplished, now for complete healing. You've got this :yes:
Have a great Monday and week!
 
Luckily I wasn't banking on Miller anyway... not like a couple years ago where 4/5 of my first picks were injured by week 3.

My quad really started bugging me last night and today. Just SO stiff, and the bruising is ramping up (I assume the two are probably related). I put on real shoes this morning for the first time, that was a process. I'm glad I didn't let myself get too optimistic about @BionicButt 's blog entry discussing the lack of muscle disturbance, haha... my surgeon definitely had to push some stuff around.

@Layla it's hard to say about the groin pain, since even before the wire removal it would only flare up every few weeks... but you're correct, I haven't gotten more than minor twinges that could easily be explained by the whole "someone cut into your hip and pulled a wire out from around your femur" thing, haha.

A friend of mine who's recovering from a torn Achilles gave me the name of a PT he really likes - maybe this time I'll go that route. After the replacement, my surgeon's position was that he didn't feel strongly either way about PT in my case, but despite my forays into the over-doing-it-club, I still ended up losing a lot of muscle.

I really, really do not want to be back at work right now, so I may post other rambling thoughts throughout the day, haha.
 
Hi Joe!

I've been out in the woods, but holding you in healing Light and thinking of you along the way. I'm so happy that you have that thing out and it sounds like you are feeling a difference already! I can't believe you had a cyst around it, but then, I can. I imagine the body would try to put something around it to protect itself... I'm grateful to hear that my blog gave you strength and hope along the way. I wanted something like that for myself when I had it done. It was so scary to think about going under the knife again. Since they had to remove the cyst, it sounds like it was more complicated than my removal and may have caused more disturbance to your soft tissues that will take some time to heal. I hope that goes well and is soon better. I am glad there are better cabling systems available and I hope all our surgeons will use these better options in the future after seeing what we have gone through! Keep taking good care of you and be patient and kind with yourself :)
 
Thanks! I'm entertaining myself by trying to figure out the cyst based on medical journals I don't understand, instead of reaching out to my very friendly and accessible medical team... Which I'm sure it's a totally logical approach. I'm hoping it's actually confirmation that the wire was the problem - happy to put up with pain now rather than getting bursitis in my groin on a regular basis, haha.

I'm at the frustrating part of recovery, where everything is improving but it feels too slow. Feels like probably week 4-5 after the replacement. At least the itching is going down.

But now a cold is starting to work it's way through my house... Because of course that would happen now instead of waiting a couple weeks.

Overall, all is well, and thank you all for the support.
 
Head cold plus hip recovery? Ugh, and definitely NOT FAIR! But just another sign that you need to slow down (and yes, that is frustrating, I'm sure) and take it easy. Glad itching has eased up--small improvements still count! With that pesky wire out and cyst removed, I know things will be getting better sooner than you realize. Exercise that patience muscle! Hope today is going well, @JoeKnows
 
Hi Joe,
I hope you reach out to your surgeon's care team and find out more to share with us. We all learn from these situations. BionicButts theory sounds like a likely possibility for sure. With this recovery being easier than your THR, you should be back in biz in no time. Sorry to hear about the cold going through the house. Hopefully some fresh air and Vitamin D from the warm Cali sun will have you all well soon. Hang tight and enjoy the long holiday weekend!
@JoeKnows
 
Oh I'll definitely update on what went down after my post op (I think 9/5 or 9/6). I'm curious too, and hopefully the info is helpful for someone searching for this weirdly particular situation in the future.

My wife informs me that they're shaking almond trees right now, so it may well just be allergies. I know I used to die every year when they shook almonds, but I've had allergy shots for a year or so. Let's hope it's just that...
 
@JoeKnows My first MRI showed large cyst in neck of femur OS told me it formed due to weak bone didn’t seem to be concerned in regards to being benign etc. He only stated that if I took a fall I could fracture the femur.I hope all goes well for you with your appointment and you get your questions answered.
 
Hey Joe - glad to hear that the wire is GONE. Sorry that it was more complicated than they had thought. Interestingly, my incision from both the cerclage placement and removal was way bigger than I thought it was going to be. When they removed it, they brought in a plastic surgeon to fix it up (I had a rather large divet from the dihiscence that developed 3 weeks after the placement). I really hope this is the fix for that pain you had been having. Word of caution though, give that incision time to HEAL. That soft tissue has been aggravated and now disturbed so it does take time (my last surgery to remove it was 12/14/18 and I STILL have a lot of tenderness and am unable to sleep on that side to this day).

REST up, take it easy and let it all heal - you'll be better off for it in the long run! Did you see the wire they removed? They were supposed to save mine for me but I forgot to ask for it and never got it.
 
Unfortunately I didn't think to ask about seeing the wire. The doc told me that my groin pain could have been the wire, could have been from the pressure from the cyst the wire caused, or could be something totally unrelated to the wire - we'll see if I get a recurrence of that pain over the next couple of months, but so far so good.

Just got back from my post-op, everything looks good. He took the bandage off, which immediately helped with the itching (there's still some kind of a "net" over the incision, but he didn't have to use steri-strips or anything). He said I can exercise as long as it doesn't hurt, so I'll start by getting back on my stationary bike at first and ease into it.

Stairs are still a problem, but that's not surprising. I can sort of sleep on my left side, though not directly on the incision. It's getting easier every day to put my socks on. I'm walking without limping (mostly), though I'm careful to make sure I don't pivot with my weight on my left leg. Getting into my truck isn't a problem anymore, though I'm still cautious about it. Basically this seems like a condensed, faster version of the replacement recovery, haha.
 
Awesome news, Joe. It sounds like the procedure was a success!
All you've stated sound like improvements. Please take it slow on the stationary bike, as you mentioned you will. You seem to be on your way and I'd hate to see you sitting out because you were too ambitious.
Wonderful update....enjoy the rest of the week!
@JoeKnows
 
Alrighty my impatient hippy pal. Still a recovery from a surgical procedure in progress.
Hope you are chilled:ice:
Healing vibes, @JoeKnows :tada:
 
@Mojo333 Well... I walked like 45 minutes around downtown LA this morning, but I promise I'll chill tonight (after back to school night anyway).

I'm not good at chilling apparently. To be fair, I didn't want to walk so much, especially in 90 something heat wearing a wool suit... But my sense of direction betrayed me and I couldn't find where I parked my truck, haha.

All is good, except stairs still suck.
 
Oh my stars ...sounds like a country song...

Lost my way
In downtown LA
Stepping it up in wool
Like some hippy fool

Three chord harmony only and at least you have a truck.:heehee:
 
If this forum allowed cursing, I would be typing different words - the groin pain seems to have returned.

I know it could very well be the same soft tissue just recovering from the removal still, but it's definitely the same pain. Started this afternoon. The only trigger I can think of is being seated for an unusually long period of time (hey, we got the client though!). Icing now, and took some Naproxen I had left over. It's hard not to think this second surgery was pointless, but I suppose if this isn't just coincidental pain in the same soft tissue, at least I'll know it wasn't the wire.

I'm jumping the gun, and of course I'll ask the surgeon, but I'm open to suggestion on next steps in case this does not resolve with ice and sleep... PT maybe, though that would be tough schedule-wise.

I'm just bummed because it was going so well - I just started to be able to walk up stairs without leaning on the rail. My range of motion isn't impeded by this at least, but... Ugh. I'll just visualize that "what I think recovery should be" versus "actual recovery" line graph, haha - maybe one of the regulars can post it for anyone reading who doesn't know what I'm talking about.
 
Joe, I'm sorry. I sense your frustration and hope you are "jumping the gun" as you stated and that some icing and rest will ease the pain. It's only been three and a half weeks since the wire was removed and I'm sure all that was disturbed beneath the surface during the procedure is very sensitive. I'd ice it up and rest as much as you're able over the weekend and if it doesn't seem to be resolving...I'd contact the surgeon for some input. Wishing you the best. Here's the little post it note drawing referenced -


[Bonesmart.org] JoeKnows Recovery

@JoeKnows
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom