THR JoeKnows Recovery

Ha! You all thought you got rid of me, but it's not so easy...

@Barbaraj No PT. Depending how I feel later this month, I might do some. Doubt it though.

I've been feeling good lately - it bands on both sides act up, but stretching helps now that I'm capable of stretching that way. I've noticed a lot of little things, like putting my pants on easier, tying shoes easier, etc. I'm definitely walking mostly normally. It's funny to run into random people like employees of my normal gas station and have them notice.

The reason I say I might do PT is because I do still have some strength issues with stairs and getting up from chairs. Not that I can't, just still doesn't feel right.

Hope everyone's doing well!
 
Good to hear all is going well with you!
Hope the weekend is restful and things continue to improve.:yahoo:
 
Well, @JoeKnows, you know your body best and what might help it feel better, stronger and more flexible. At my first PT appointment yesterday it was both encouraging and discouraging--encouraging because I was told my strength on my right, operated side was pretty good; discouraged because my left side was much weaker and needs work. But, I had great results with PT prior to hip replacement surgery so I'm a believer. My goal is to toughen up that left side so that I can stave off a second surgery for as long as possible. The therapist seemed to think this was a realistic goal for me. Have two pretty easy exercises to start, and will go back weekly, with exercises added each week, I'm guessing. If I am faithful about doing these daily, and continue to lengthen my time the gym, without adding resistance, I should also be doing what I need to do to help with cardiac health. But, what works for me might not work for you. Still, you sound as if you have really come long way since your surgery and I hope, overall, you are encouraged and happy with your progress to date. Have a great Saturday!
 
Thanks for the update, Joe. Nice to hear from you.
It's good to read you're doing well. I hope PT can help in strengthening your leg so navigating stairs and chairs becomes second nature to you a once again.
Please stay in touch and have a great week!
@JoeKnows
 
@JoeKnows good to know that you are getting on ok. It's funny what you said about other people noticing how you walk. I said the same thing on another post recently. We don't always realise ourselves that we are improving and it takes so one else to bring it to our attention.
Onwards and upwards
 
Oh man... Took my older daughter to Disney on Ice tonight (little one is sick). We sat ringside. I made three or four trips up and down the stairs - definitely need to start doing some kind of exercise. Where I live basically everything's flat, so I just haven't had many occasions to walk stairs... I'm sure if it had always been part of my daily living it would be fine, but as it is my new anatomy isn't used to it I guess.

On the bright side, I've definitely noticed my recovery time has gotten shorter for those muscles. If I'd done this a few weeks ago (not that I would ever do anything against the recovery guidelines of this board...) I would probably be laid up right now, and tomorrow. But I feel fine, it just got tough on the last trip up the stairs and then went away when I rested a bit.

I should probably post a scar pic - I feel like mine is very bright red (not infection red, just a lot of contrast with my white thigh). I've seen a lot of scars at 8 weeks that look very good - not that it bothers me, but I'll post it when I get time so future searchers see there's a wide range at this point.

Aaaanyway, I logged on thinking I'd check out all the other threads, but between the weekend, the fact I'm fighting a cold, and the insanity of work (which hasn't slowed down as hoped), I'm beat. Goodnight
 
Disney on Ice!
Daddy on Ice!:ice:

I made three or four trips up and down the stairs - definitely need to start doing some kind of exercise.
I do know what you mean...but this does seem antithetical:giggle:

Rest up...you are only at two months out...and you can start strengthening some of this Slowly!

Hope today is a good day!:ok:
 
My scar is very red, too, and I feel like it has gotten wider in the past several weeks. I wonder if its location (anterior approach) and how it flexes and stretches has anything to do with that. Looks like a sturdy weld up close. Ah well, wasn't going to be entering any bikini competitions anyway.

My stair climbing sounds like it's going a bit better than yours, but stairs have been a part of my daily activities from day one (thanks, past me who bought a 1922 urban house). I'm now confronting my muscle weakness as I'm getting back into bicycling to work. I'm definitely a slowpoke right now.
 
I'll bet your daughter enjoyed Disney on Ice. Sounds like fun.
That's a whole lot of up and down steps.
Hopefully your cold eases soon and your week is a good one!
@JoeKnows
 
@JoeKnows I hear you on the stairs. We have a suite downstairs and go through that to our basement storage, but I haven't had to do that much. I went to the RMT the other day and took the stairs, as the elevator was taking forever and I was running late.....my body had a few choice words for me later that day!! "Don't push it" were the polite ones!! :heehee:
 
:wave:Back to life and still on your recovery journey...Thanksgiving gives we Americans a much needed time away from work.
Hope you are doing well and have a Good Thanksgiving, @JoeKnows :cheers:
 
Hey everybody! I'm doing well as three months approaches. I found out yesterday that even more difficult than stairs is climbing a ladder leading with the left leg... I couldn't do it without a large push from my right leg, basically jumping. I still got the lights up, climbing the ladder one right-legged step at a time. I used to be able to climb onto the roof without a ladder, but the necessary flexibility for that is definitely gone, haha. I also stopped after finishing the eaves... My yard involves pushing about 100 little plastic stakes into the ground, for which I'll be enlisting my 4 year old - I can crouch without a problem, but have to use mostly my right leg to get back up, and doing that repeatedly would lead to a bad night. As it is, I'm already a bit sore (not "I need medicine" sore, just "huh, it's a little more difficult to lift my knee up today" sore).

I still haven't tried to swing a golf club - if I finish the lights this morning maybe I'll give that a shot in the afternoon.

I keep saying I need to start working out the left leg intentionally... In fact I should go ride my stationary bike right now... Okay maybe after coffee.
 
Hi :wave:
Glad to read you're doing well, Joe. You're brave to tackle a ladder, have to admit that made me nervous thinking about you teetering on a ladder. Ice any sore areas today. I'm sure it will help.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and have a great day with the liddles getting all the holiday decor up. Stay in touch when you're able. It's nice to hear of your progress :)
@JoeKnows
 
Woo, hoo, @JoeKnows! Christmas lights! You do know there are services you can hire for that, don't you? My husband swears this is the last year he's putting up these dang lights (but seem to remember he said this last year, too). Anyway, be careful on that ladder--I worry about my husband and he's got two perfectly healthy hips! But sounds like things are going well for you, which is great--three months will turn into six and then a year and then--gasp--someday you'll say to yourself, "oh, yeah--I did have hip surgery, now when was that?" Great report!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary! @JoeKnows
I hope you're doing well and all is good with your new hip.
Crazy busy time of year but we'd love to hear how you're doing, if you have time.
Have you golfed yet? Hope you find the time.
Only 19 days till Christmas. Where does the time go?!
Warmest wishes for a happy holiday season and a great 2019!
:merry christmas:
 
Yes @JoeKnows
We hope all is well with you and wishing you and your adorable babes a Merry Christmas!
:santa sleigh:
 
Good morning all! Just thought I'd check in since my last update was a couple months ago.

There have certainly been some weird aches and pains still, but they come and go. I've had groin pain off and on, mostly when first getting up from bed or sitting in a chair. When I brought it up with the doc, he didn't see anything on the x-rays that would cause it, since the cup is flush. Stretching and activity made it go away after a week or so.

A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting at my desk and went to put my left foot up on the chair across from me - not sure what I did differently from normal, but as I was lifting my foot I felt a severe burning-type of pain around what I'd call my sit bone - the pain was bad enough that I got nauseous, but it went away after a couple minutes. A day after that, my front hip flexor (the one that gave me trouble earlier in the recover) was super tight. That seems to have worked itself out now though.

So overall, nothing I'm concerned about, and there's not really much I can't do. Stairs aren't a problem anymore as the left side is getting stronger. I'm still conscious of pivoting on my left foot, but that's probably just a habit more than anything now. Really the biggest ongoing complaint is that after sitting in a car for a couple of hours, it takes a minute for the hip to loosen up - a bit annoying, but then I remember I could hardly walk before the surgery!

The tl;dr version (that's "too long; didn't read" for those not familiar) is that I'm very happy with my results, despite occasional pains that pop up.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
 
Nice to hear from you, Joe.
Can't believe it's over five months already since your surgery.
The pain you described sounds quite severe especially enough to cause you to be nauseous.
I guess since it's been a couple weeks and all is well, it's a good sign. If it happens again though, to that degree, I think I'd run it by the surgeon, his PA, or even a Nurse of his.
Sounds like you're doing well otherwise. Thanks for updating, it was nice to hear from you.
I hope you and Mrs Joe have a nice Valentines Day with the two little princesses. Stay in touch.
@JoeKnows
 
@JoeKnows good to hear from an other five monther.
Yeah I get weird pains out of nowhere still, but I remember that happened on my first one. But the nausea... never got that bad. Sounds like time has passed since the pain - @Layla offers good advice as always... check it out with the surgeon if it comes back.
Did you have posterior approach?
 
:wave: Good to hear an update.
I had alot of come and go issues as I got back to work and life fairly quickly. Alot of the same things you describe. :yes: Lots of improvement to come...and do try to baby yourself when your hip says you need to.
Onward friend:egypdance:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom