THR JoeKnows Recovery

Now at home with ice, probably going to bed in the near future.

I was instructed to wear the compression stockings for 4 weeks - which I find odd since I didn't have them after the replacement. I don't find them particularly uncomfortable though, so it's ok.

It's probably psychological, but I'd swear I can feel the fact that the wire is gone - the incision area hurts a bit, but it seems like I can move in certain ways that would have been uncomfortable before. Of course, it's also 12 hours after surgery and it's been a long day, so I could just be making that up, haha.

Will report back soon. This far, i feel like the incision is going to be my limiting factor on recovery.
 
Hi Joe,
Good to hear you're finally resting comfortably at home. What a nightmare at the hospital with all the confusion you dealt with. Possibly you are feeling relief already from the missing wire. Kim (NanaKP) mentioned she could feel it immediately. Haven't looked back at Rhonda's (BionicB) thread but possibly she noticed the same?
At any rate the nasty thing is out and hopefully it's the beginning of pain free living for you.
Hope you sleep well tonight.
@JoeKnows
 
No longer wearing a wire, chilled at home,... and already trying to move about in ways to discern whether it still hurts 'like that'
Can you just lie still for a FEW days before we have to start worrying for you!:heehee:
Glad to hear you have this behind you.:ok:
Healing vibes coming your way!:yes:
 
@Mojo333 :rotfl:

You know I have to see what the limits are...

Swelling is up this morning, no surprise. Pills, coffee, and ice are the first order of the day. I feel generally good. Putting weight on the leg first thing hurts, but it's limited to my outer thigh (not like the groin pain when it was acting up). The question is, did that change come from the removal, or just because it isn't acting up right now? Stay tuned to find out!

It's a bummer the surgeon felt like he needed to reopen the whole incision to get the stubborn wire out, but of course I wouldn't have wanted him to do less than he needed to. I forgot how annoying it is to have a big healing incision right there, haha. But the pain isn't too bad, don't need oxycodone or anything like that, just 50mg tramadol (and I took Tylenol this morning to get a jump start, but I doubt I'll have to go max dose).

I certainly feel like I could work, run errands, etc., but I won't (at least not today). I don't have that trauma-induced exhaustion I remember from the big surgery, so that's cool.

I'm going to put together a bunch of questions for the doc, since I only talked to him while the anesthesia cocktail was still making my brain swirly. Where was this cyst he apparently took out? How big was it? What were they testing for when he says it was benign, infection or the big C? Why was the wire stuck in there, the x-rays didn't show any bone growing over it that I recall? Does he reaaaaally want me to wear these stockings, because I probably won't do that? How many gallons of iodine did they use, since my entire body was basically orange when I took a shower?

Probably easier for me just to get the op report and not bug the doc before the post-op, I still can't believe his (and probably all Ortho surgeons) schedule.

That's all the rambling I have for this morning.
 
I certainly feel like I could work, run errands, etc., but I won't (at least not today)

I Yi Yi :doh: Forgot about how hard it is trying to get you to behave.

Consider calling your surgeon's office and leaving a message for the PA to call you back to answer questions since you barely recall the surgeon's post op visit due to the anesthesia.
I'm guessing you wouldn't be the first to do so if you didn't have another pair of ears there to absorb it all.
Never hurts to have the surgery report for your personal records though either.

Good to hear you're still minus the groin pain. Great sign! :yes!:
Have a good one :)
@JoeKnows
 
Even better than calling, they use an online system and a physicians physician dedicated to answering questions - he responded in about ten minutes. He would have to check with the doc on the cyst questions, but confirmed my doctor does NOT require the stockings (which is good, since it's 100+ degrees here and wearing a suit to work is bad enough).

Anyway I'm going to go hang some wallpaper in the laundry room now (kidding @Layla and @Mojo333 !)
 
LOL I am still laughing at hanging wallpaper that’s some funny stuff ..I have enjoyed your thread so happy the surgery is over for you
Joe
 
Where was this cyst he apparently took out? How big was it? What were they testing for when he says it was benign, infection or the big C?
Benign being the "operative" word. Great to know.:ok:

Does he reaaaaally want me to wear these stockings, because I probably won't do that?
I lost mine in the laundry.

How many gallons of iodine did they use, since my entire body was basically orange when I
Oh my stars...Oompaloompa Joe!

Please chill and let that soft tissue heal:beg:
Great excuse for a short sabbatical
:ice:
No more surgery for you:fingersx:
 
Day 1 post-wire-removal: I forgot how important stool softeners are, and that my skin doesn't like the bandage my surgeon uses. Other than that, just muscles that feel like somebody pushed them out of the way.
 
Hi, @JoeKnows Good to read you're doing well post-procedure. No fun having a big hurking incision scar to deal with again, but you know it should heal over quickly. I had a horrible reaction to the glue strip bandage they used on my second hip replacement, major blistering and misery. I hope when you say that you "skin doesn't like the bandage my surgeon uses" that is just in general and you won't have a bad reaction. And so recovery begins again. Nice you don't have to wear those compression stockings, they are a pain. Take it easy, and save wall papering for down the road. Today is day 2 of wire removal, and I hope you're doing well.
 
Good Morning Joe,
Hopefully you had a good night's sleep. Like you, I too had a reaction to the bandage
placed in the OR. When it was removed the next day my skin was flaming red! It didn't hurt or blister but I'm sure that was due to the Exparel injected into my incision before closing. I'm curious to whether you're still noticing the difference with the wire gone. Hopefully so. Nothing worse than having your original recovery marred by a complication. Fingers crossed this was the ticket and you'll finally be on your way.
Hope today is a good one!
@JoeKnows
 
@Barbaraj - I didn't have that bad of a reaction to the bandage, just some redness (which made me freak out thinking about an infection after the big surgery). I only thought of it because I noticed I have all kinds of weird marks on my skin right now, haha. The weirdest is a bruise-looking area on my rib cage, but it doesn't hurt... not sure what that's from, but I'm sure just the necessarily rough handling when they were pushing my 200+ pound body around in the OR, haha.

@Layla - I did not get very good sleep last night... I think the Tramadol actually keeps me up instead of knocking me out, might try to go just Tylenol tonight. On the bright side, I haven't noticed any groin pain, so hopefully the wire was the cause of my trouble.

I decided to go into the office today (but I can ice here, and I have a standing desk so I can stretch out while still being productive). I'll probably take off around lunch, turn on golf, and get a nap in... just couldn't stay at home anymore.
 
:doh:back to work...
Well, today is Friday.
Hope your weekend is restful and healing.
 
Hmmmm...your comment about a bruise on your chest got me thinking, @JoeKnows After both hip surgeries, I had two small scabs on my stomach, as if someone had stuck in sharp pinchers for some reason. It had to be associated with the surgery, as I didn't have them beforehand, but I forgot to ask about them at the first check up following surgery both times. Oh, well. Sounds like you're doing well, cautiously optimistic that the wire removal will, once and for all, allow you to return to "real life" before all this hip nonsense descended. Glad you got into the office for awhile (totally get that cabin fever issue at home) but also glad you weren't going to stay long and had happy plans for an afternoon of golf watching (the most soporific form of TV watching ever) so you could get in a well deserved nap. Happy Friday!
 
I hope you slept better last night, or snuck in a nap. Wonderful that you're not feeling the groin pain. I hope the same goes for today. I'm glad it's the weekend because I'm hoping you'll take it easy and allow yourself at least a couple days rest. You've earned it, Joe.
Have a good one!
@JoeKnows
 
Well, I've gotten a couple twinges of the groin pain we're hoping this gets rid of, but nothing serious. I guess it would make sense for the soft tissue to be a little annoyed anyway, if the wire was rubbing against it before. Overall, this afternoon has been good, though I can tell when the Tylenol wears off still. Primary pain is still just the incision. Bruising is starting to come out, trying to stretch and move around. I'm super tired, but I think that can be attributed to fantasy football drafting more than the surgery, haha.

Speaking of which, I'm determined to drive 3 hours to a draft tomorrow (league is over a decade old, and this draft is basically the one time every year my college friends get together). Since sitting in my truck is pretty uncomfortable, I'm going to leave early and stop every 30 minutes to walk around.
 
Good grief, @JoeKnows I simply can't fathom wanting to drive three hours days after your procedure for any sort of event. But it is good you feel passionately about this, not just the actual draft but presumably getting together with college friends for some catching up and bonding for an annual get-together. I get it. Still wouldn't drive three hours for it but would Skype myself in instead. Take it easy on the drive to and from the gathering--sounds like sensible plan, if you must go, to stop regularly to get out and walk around.
 
I'd have to agree with you in that there will be some angry tissue beneath the surface at only four days post op.

You're a brave one attempting a three hour truck ride with that gash in your leg.
Hopefully meds will help and possibly a gel pack roadie along with some stop-n-stretch breaks.
I understand wanting to see your college buddies for the annual fantasy draft and hope it's all manageable.
Let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed for you. :fingersx:
@JoeKnows
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom