THR JoeKnows Recovery

Did you doctor mention it ever needing to come out? My hardware is really impeding my going up the stairs with that left leg so my OS has decided it will come out in December (approximately 5-6 weeks after my next hip replacement). I've been having xrays every time I go and the last time he couldn't tell if it had healed so I imagine a CT Scan may be ordered to make sure it's healed prior to taking that claw and wiring out. I was told that some people tolerate it just fine, others do not. After the fracture was "fixed", I had a different kind of pain (lower back, left butt cheek and groin). After reading about some of the onset of new pain, I wondered if that was a possibility. Could be something you mention at your next appointment.
 
@NanaKP - No, he didn't. I didn't ask, but I assume he would have mentioned that. My new pain was on my non-operative side, so I doubt it related to that, but I should certainly have more of a conversation with him next week.
 
Ohhhhh, sorry - I was thinking it was your surgical side for some reason!! All of these aches/pains that seem to come with this type of surgery has me scratching my head most days.

Oh and I definitely DID set off my first metal detector a couple of weeks ago . . . at the Sheriff's department of all places!!!! Several of the deputies just chuckled when I explained.
 
@NanaKP well I guess it depends on which pain we're talking about, haha. My scare about the man-pain was on the non-operative side. The skin-deep pain was on the operative side, but near the head of the trochanter, not where I think the wire was placed.

Who knows? Haha. I'm starting to just not question these little pains.
 
I'm now convinced it wasn't nerve pain associated with my altered gait, and probably had more to do with my vasectomy.
Um...Pertinent Information!
Sorry for the pain you suffered anyway...but if you get a zit...it might Not be hip related.

Just joshing you a bit.
You sound like you are Doing really well.
Hope you have a good weekend.
 
Hey I mentioned it in my original post about this on Sunday! It was nearly a year ago, so didn't think it would be that (neither did the urgent care doc).

But yeah, just about any pain makes my brain go: "Oh no! The surgery failed! You probably have to get your leg amputated, aaaaahhh!" My hip is probably the reason I accidentally cut my thumb while washing my knife the other day too, and the reason I have a leaking sprinkler pipe in the backyard, haha. After that first thought I remember that weird stuff happens with recovery and everything is 99.9% sure to be fine.
 
@Mojo333 - Yeah but there are so many words in that article, what am I supposed to do, READ it?! Kidding of course! The logical part of my brain understands it, but the emotional part of my brain still thinks I'm immune to everything (despite the number of random health issues that have cropped up over the last 3 years).
 
what am I supposed to do, READ it?
No, it's like the stuff you give people to sign or the signs I post at the charity I manage...
Know ain't nobody reading it, but it does give me something to point at when people complain.:giggle:
 
So today, after sleeping like **** all week (happened a lot pre-surgery anyway), I was reminded of a networking thing at 6:00. I reluctantly changed from the jeans I was wearing (no meetings today) into my backup suit and went. Decided to leave my cane in the truck to avoid having to explain the hip replacement to 254 different people - turns out it didn't matter, everyone asked about it anyway because this is a pretty insulated place considering it's like the 8th largest city in California, so word gets around. It was pretty nice to hear some positive input about my surgeon from some people connected with the medical field though.

Anyway, I was standing and walking all night. Very much looking forward to ice. I also didn't eat the appetizers since I had a late lunch and thought it was a dinner event - turns out there's no dinner, so I drove through somewhere on the way home (it won't take me long to undo the weight loss I had post surgery, haha).

Tomorrow morning might be rough. Don't feel the need to take any meds right now, but I bet my muscles will be angry.

Despite that, I still intend to go without my cane at another event on Saturday night... At least fewer people know me there, so I should actually be able to avoid telling my story over and over.

And even though i am presently annoyed, it really is great that I was able to do tonight - before surgery I almost certainly would have needed to sit down for a while during the event.

Edit: whoops, forgot about the profanity filter. Replace mess with the word of your choice, but I think you get the point
 
You're doing great, Joe! It is a wonderful feeling when you start realizing you can do things once again that had become difficult, or impossible. My thing was getting out of my vehicle. For the last couple months pre-op, I had to manually lift my leg out of the car. If I just let it dropped the pain was excruciating. I'd yelp like a dog. The first time I drove post op and was ready to get out of my car I was afraid. I slowly lowered my leg.....no pain!
I cried :bawl:not even kidding! Tears of joy and gratitude. I still say a Thank you, Jesus some days when I think of it as I'm getting out. It's remarkable that surgery took away that pain.
Just wait....It keeps getting better. :)
@JoeKnows
 
Don't set yourself back by not using that cane when needed, Pleeeeeasz.
Chronic issues that crop up CAN take longer to resolve than original recovery. This is the chart I referred to...and this is without overdoing it and never mind your fracture.
[Bonesmart.org] JoeKnows Recovery

Don't like to burst anyone's bubble, especially when they feel like they are just getting it blowed up...but as you can tell I am the resident worry wart.
Hope your weekend is Restful!
 
Sheesh, @Mojo333, the chart you posted is pretty sobering. Here we all thought we were swimming along and near the end! I am sure it's all true, but I also agree with @Layla that the small victories loom large when you're in recovery. You're doing great @JoeKnows! I'm hoping to go to a local park today (wide, flat and paved walking paths) for a little fresh air, sunshine and exercise today. Totally looking forward to that. Can't say that going to a work related meeting would thrill me much, but just getting out there and doing normal stuff, which is different for all of us, is so satisfying. Hope you're not too uncomfortable today, or if you are, you are relaxing and icing.
 
Thanks all. I'm a little surprised that I feel good today. Got a bit uncomfortable late last night, but nothing an ice pack couldn't handle. We were going to take the little ones to a pumpkin patch today, but I'm delaying that until tomorrow morning to be safe (and I'll use my cane for that, since the ground isn't super even).
 
Glad you're feeling well today @JoeKnows
Have fun with the kids at the Pumpkin Patch tomorrow!
Enjoy the weekend.....but not tooooo much :heehee:
 
I just had my 6 week apt. W/ fracture. It’s healing. So my os said to ditch the crutches and just walk. What! Ok, so by the end of the day I feel the hip, and the other bones; probably because I’ve been compensating forever. I use one crutch on crowded areas at work (returned yesterday) and free lance until I feel myself limping or leaning. Then, back to the crutch or cane, at least until I build a it more resilience. Look forward to a weekend of ice and elevation, o yes, and a”shower wine”. BTW: what’s a greyhound ( not the breed).?
 
Managed the pumpkin patch Saturday and the farm bureau event last night without much problem. Definitely a bit stiff today, and a slight ground pain has cropped up (I know, shocking!), so today will be football and ice instead of going out to yet another fall activity (a pick-it-yourself farm with a bunch of stuff for kiddos to do... My allergies are acting up anyway, haha).
 
Great you got out yesterday and enjoyed it, Joe.
I'll bet the girls had a lot of fun at the Pumpkin Patch. Not surprised you're stiff today.
Resting in your recliner with your ice pack should help and of course watching football will make it all better.
Have a good one!
@JoeKnows
 
I just had my 6 week apt. W/ fracture. It’s healing. So my os said to ditch the crutches and just walk. What! Ok, so by the end of the day I feel the hip, and the other bones; probably because I’ve been compensating forever. I use one crutch on crowded areas at work (returned yesterday) and free lance until I feel myself limping or leaning. Then, back to the crutch or cane, at least until I build a it more resilience. Look forward to a weekend of ice and elevation, o yes, and a”shower wine”. BTW: what’s a greyhound ( not the breed).?

I am 9+ weeks out and still carry a crutch, cane or pole with me. I can walk much further with it an this am able to build up my endurance. I started leaving it at home week 7, and wound up not having it when ended (and caused myself a set back as a red). So, I just carry it with me. When my hip muscles get tired, I use it for 5 to 10 steps, THR I am good again.

Managed the pumpkin patch Saturday and the farm bureau event last night without much problem. Definitely a bit stiff today, and a slight ground pain has cropped up (I know, shocking!), so today will be football and ice instead of going out to yet another fall activity (a pick-it-yourself farm with a bunch of stuff for kiddos to do... My allergies are acting up anyway, haha).

Taking my little one to the pumpkin patch today. Sooo much fun! We are also having something of a summer resurgence here in Vancouver... Sunny and warm (a rarity for October as it is usually cold and rainy). Was out all yesterday too, so will also be resting with football after the patch.

Go Hawks! (Sorry, couldn’t resist ).

Cheers
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom