THR JoeKnows Recovery

My car is a Mazda MX5 (Miata) and I haven't tried getting into it yet. When I do it will be with great care… Not worried about the driving position but could be "fun" getting in and out…

I think my main problem was that I didn't think about it - just tried to get in the same way I would to my truck, where the seat is significantly higher (it was an Audi A6). I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you're not reckless like I was, haha.

I’m rooting for ‘not’

Well, there IS going to be a petting zoo at the birthday party this weekend, and I've always wondered if I could ride a llama...
 
Brief update - I can give the youngest her bath now. Just can't sit on the ground cross-legged like I would before. Started to try without thinking, and... Definite no.
 
The pain I'm getting right now is the top area of the quad. Feels a little different from just muscle soreness, can't really describe it. Kind of like shin splints? Just noting it for posterity, considering my day sans cane I'm not really surprised. And it's not bad, just not making any sudden movements.

I do still have the pain around and below the incision as well, but really only when I rub it. So, I think I'll probably just stop doing that...

I don't think I mentioned it, but I slapped some waterproof bandages on about a week ago and took a hot bath - helped immensely. Can't wait for the incision to be totally healed.
 
Hi Joe,
The incision pain does last quite awhile. I guess discomfort would be a better word, right?
Did you check with your OS about a bath?
Not sure if those waterproof bandages are 100% effective. Maybe? :shrug:
My OS who was rather a stickler on most everything advised no baths, hot tubs, pools, lakes etc for 3 months post op.
Hope today is a good day!
@JoeKnows
 
Hi @JoeKnows Do you still have swelling around your incision? Sorry to hear about the pain at the top of the quad. Is it on the front back or front side, or all around like a band?

I've moved along quickly to walking sticks and am walking with nothing a lot in the house, and one outside now. I get a odd feeling at the top front of my quad when I push too hard. I also get a sore calf...around the area that has always bothered me when I step too close to the ODIC. I really believe it is where my leg was "handled" for the dislocation. I tend to ice that more than anything else.

Hope that the quad pain sorts itself out with a little time off it and with ice :-)

I know it is too early for me to consider, but I am curious about when to use heat vs. ice. I think I read on someone's post not to consider heat until after three months? However, the hot bath sounds lovely...but I'm a bit neurotic about the water and the incision issues at the moment.

P.S. I quite like the hiking pole vs. the cane for support...also makes me feel more like a recovering person, more positive, than using a cane...that is my own emotional issue LOL! However, I am happier to grab for the hiking pole vs. the cane, so use the pole more often. I stand up straighter on the pole as well! Weird!
 
Last edited:
@Alitm - I don't think I'd call it swelling, more like minor inflammation immediately around the incision. The quad pain is in the front. Better this morning, I think I just overworked it.

I'm sure the bath wouldn't have been recommended, since I still have some small scabbing on the incision... but it did stay dry (I had some gauze under the waterproof bandage, and when I took it off the gauze was still dry. Everything felt so much looser (in a good way).

My 6 week appointment is in 25 minutes, so I'll update when I get back from that.
 
Best of luck to you, Joe!
Will love to here all about it.
@JoeKnows
 
Well, gotta say a bath has no appeal for me, @JoeKnows, but I would love to be able to use a heating pad sometimes. I got real comfort from that pre-surgery but I've also heard heat isn't supposed to be what recovering hipsters need, it's ice. So, I start my day with an ice pack as I'm swilling my latte and browsing the newspaper, and then generally end my day with one as well. It is effective, but I miss the "comforting" warmth of a heating pad sometimes. Hope your 6 week check up goes well today, and you get a big "thumbs up" from your surgical team.
 
Doc says everything looks good. Cleared me for swimming, baths, whatever (I only use the bath because we don't have a hot tub, haha). Said I'm good to start stretching / strengthening within reason. He wasn't surprised by the random pains I've had, and said he'd that kind of thing is likely to crop up throughout the first year. Basically the theme was "everything's fine, you can do what you want as long as you're not too much of an idiot."
 
:yes!:Six weeks is a great milestone, @JoeKnows ... congrats! I too broke down and took a whirlpool bath shortly before hitting 6 weeks, and it felt soooo good. I'm now at 10 weeks, and still do have quite a bit of soreness in the joint when first getting up to walk, etc. But my ROM is really good- can pull my knee all the way up to my chest with no problem, and no excessive pain. It's nice to be able to put on shoes and socks without cringing in pain! :happydance:
 
@Small1014 I'm very much looking forward to that! In fact my shoe just came untied a while ago, and even though I'm allowed to bend that far now, it's quite difficult...
 
I say that good report calls for a celebratory wine bath, as opposed to a shower beer.
Cheers!
@JoeKnows
 
Good idea @Layla - depends on how late it is when we get home from my wife's bday dinner. In keeping with my theme of being an old man in a 33 year old body (hip replacement, high blood pressure, etc), I don't like to be awake after 9, haha
 
Haha! @MrDIY
Joe and I had an exchange a few weeks back when he mentioned he had a shower beer one night, on like Day Three of recovery. :no-fin: He's on the "Watch" list because of it, ha!
Huh? I asked....He said he has a beer in the shower on ocassion. After some thought I realized it's not much different than a woman in a bubble bath with a favorite candle and glass of wine. Joe said shower wine is okay too, just have to be more careful where you splash, lol.
Bourbon bath is a new one. I guess I need to get with the times :heehee:
 
Haha! @MrDIY
Joe and I had an exchange a few weeks back when he mentioned he had a shower beer one night, on like Day Three of recovery. :no-fin: He's on the "Watch" list because of it, ha!
Huh? I asked....He said he has a beer in the shower on ocassion. After some thought I realized it's not much different than a woman in a bubble bath with a favorite candle and glass of wine. Joe said shower wine is okay too, just have to be more careful where you splash, lol.
Bourbon bath is a new one. I guess I need to get with the times :heehee:

Shower beer huh? I’ll have to add that to tomorrow’s recovery plan. Thanks @JoeKnows !
:loll:
 
And I will be going for a bath bourbon... Though I think I'm out of bourbon right now. Totally worth a stop on the way home though
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom