THR JoeKnows Recovery

Hi Joe,
Good to read test results are coming back normal. I hope you get answers soon.
You've been progressing nicely, hate to see you struggling.
Wishing answers for you and comfort as you wait.
@JoeKnows
 
Wow, @JoeKnows, you are doing great if you're walking normally without having to actually think about it. I am at the walking without an assistive device in the house, but I'm very conscious of keeping my balance, walking carefully and focusing on posture and gait. I guess walking without thinking about it is next up on the docket--that will be fun.
 
Regarding the man-part pain, symptoms are vastly improved this morning. I won't go into details, but based on the last 24 hours I'm now convinced it wasn't nerve pain associated with my altered gait, and probably had more to do with my vasectomy. If someone finds themselves with similar questions to mine, I'd be happy to talk about it via PM - but since I don't think it was the hip anymore, I don't feel the need to further sully my hip recovery thread with this issue, haha.
 
Oh, I wasn't comparing @JoeKnows! Just marveling at what might be in my future--walking without thinking which sounds hugely exciting. I am sure all of us, starting at the early stages of recovery, find it a drag to always be aware of and focusing on our walk! Even pre-surgery, when I would start to limp occasionally, especially when I was tired or the ache was worse, I seldom noticed the limp--it would take someone pointing it out to me and then I'd be conscious of my gait and consciously straighten up and try to walk limp-less. But now every day, every minute I'm up, I'm THINKING about my walk. I want to get to where you are, and just, well, walk easily without focusing on my walk!
 
@Barbaraj - You'll be there before you know it. Seems like having a new hip is like having a new kid... time drags soooo slowly when it's upset and you don't know exactly why, but then one day you realize it's suddenly so grown up! Haha.
 
Loved the kids analogy, @JoeKnows, very similar to my thoughts about my cranky hips pre-surgery, and likening them to dreadful teenagers the summer between high school and college--ready to kill 'em before they left--ooh, with young kids you have that to look forward to one day, lucky you! But "babying" my walk now is clearly the way to go and before I know it I will be all grown up and walking like an adult.
 
Got that right, @JoeKnows! Moderating greyhound consumption would be key to adult walking. But, dang it, they are so yummy!
 
@Barbaraj I agree completely. In fact - and this is slightly relevant since I will consider it a benchmark in recovery when I can do it again - some friends and I have hired a small limo to take us the 1.5 hours out to a very nice golf course toward the coast, and last time we had greyhounds flowing freely both ways. So my benchmarks are as follows:

1. Be able to walk without a limp;
2. Be able to clean the garage, do yardwork, etc. without returning to the ODIC;
3. Be able to play a full 18 holes without the ODIC;
4. Be able to play a full 18 holes after an inadvisable number of greyhounds without injuring myself.

If I can get to #4, I'll know I'm 100% back, haha.
 
Nice goals Joe.

My one and only that I set (i'm a simple man) was to play in an 18 hole tournament the day after Thanksgiving, even if i'm just using a 7 iron on every shot. We'll see what the doctor says.
 
Good grief, @JoeKnows, a fellow greyhound lover--who would have thought of such a momentous discovery on a hip replacement forum?!! Despite this, I still don't get the enthusiasm for golf (zzz…) but I agree with you that having a goal to re-engage in something you love is important for all of us on this forum. Yes, we'll all take differing amounts of time to reach that goal but having it out there on the horizon gives us hope and motivation.
 
Okay so back on topic - still no conclusion as to whether or not my male issues were in any way related, but that's gone and my hip is great.

Working full days isn't so bad. I get tired, but that may be because what I do can be oppressively boring. Physically, I was taking depositions all day yesterday with no problem - though I take frequent breaks anyway, so I did get to move around. Helped more than usual around the house.

Today I went to court for the second time since surgery, no problem (too lazy to look back and see if I said this already, but my hip didn't set off the detector the first time... It did this time, weird). Worked a full day, picked up the youngest and have been watching her solo. No issues with that. I even managed to vacuum my hvac intakes (really gotta change those filters...) And sweep the floors.

Only pain I have is a repeat of the very superficial trochanter area (like skin deep). Incision looks good and for some reason it's on both sides, so it's not triggering my infection paranoia. I wouldn't even say mild pain, I'd say "slight."

Gonna try giving the little one a bath pretty soon - that and tying my left shoe are the only thing normal things I haven't been able to do. Wifey should be home soon in case I have to audible out of that situation (and the kiddo will gladly sit and play in the bath without getting washed, haha).
 
Sounds like you're doing well, Joe.
I had jury duty in September and had to pass through a metal detector for the first time since surgery.
I mentioned I had a hip replacement and the officer who said sometimes the detectors go off, and sometimes they don't. It didn't when I passed through. Odd?

Have fun with the littlest little. You have to watch this video. It's so cute!
I love how this daddy loves his little girl and I love how sweet they are together. Your daughter will like it too.

 
@Layla That's awesome! We have a little microphone for the girls and they put on "shows" constantly. I tend to play my guitar and make up silly songs as I go, the eldest is starting to freestyle a bit too, haha.
 
Oh, and as it pertains to the smaller daughter - she prefers to play in the dirt, which is what we mostly did today (still not trying to sit down on the ground with her though, I pulled up a chair and used the cane as a very ineffective shovel).
 
Lil cuties....your girls. So fun when they're little!

My sister sent me that video yesterday a.m.
She said it would remind me of my granddaughter a few years back and it did.
Looks like my granddaughter did...who was a little ham and animated like that also.
It makes me laugh because you can tell the little girl doesn't really know the words, it's just a bunch of animated mouth action :rotfl:
 
Sounds like you're really doing well, @JoeKnows--that's great to read about! I can well imagine a full day of depositions would tire the strongest of men, and glad to hear you made it to court and got in okay despite the extra check for the hip. One wonders how reliable those metal detectors are if you pass one day and the next time the alarm goes off! And must be an excellent mood booster, even when you're tired, to come home to such adorable girls.
 
Hey Joe, I was reading your thread and saw that you had a greater trochanteric fracture as well. That pain that you are having in the superficial trochanteric area, is that from the hardware that they secured the fracture with? Are you able to go up stairs leading with the operated leg easily or can you feel the hardware? Just curious how you were dealing with that and if they had determined if the fracture was healed yet?
 
@NanaKP - I don't think that's the cause of the pain, but who knows. My IT band is tight right now, so I suspect that's the culprit. I wouldn't say I can walk up stairs leading with my left leg easily, but I can do it - just a little weak / uncomfortable (especially today, after probably doing a bit too much yesterday evening).

Come to think of it, we didn't talk about the fracture after the x-rays they took at my two week appointment. Frankly it didn't even occur to me. My surgeon didn't seem to think the fracture would be a problem since it's not in a position to bear weight, and the fit of the stem is very good, so it shouldn't be putting pressure on it either. I have my six-week appointment on 10/18, I'll try to remember to ask if they take new x-rays.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom