Guest viewing is limited

THR JoeKnows Recovery

Love the wife's comments, @JoeKnows! Your wife sounds like a no-nonsense hoot! But I get how exciting it is to be able to do things, even small movements that a few days prior you weren't able to manage. I was sitting on a bench this morning and showing my husband that I could lift my operated leg up maybe a foot or so. He just smiled and said, "great work, honey". He had much the same reaction when I proudly showed him a day or two ago that I'd figured out the back bend/legs swing up motion needed to get into bed. Small steps, but so critical!
 
Me: "Hey, look, I can do THIS now, and THIS, and..."
Wife: "You're going to hurt yourself, knock it off."
Yay, Mrs JoeKnows!
:happydance:
You're a smarter than the average bear guy - I believe, Joe.:umm:
Slow makes fast...:bored:
Hope the weekend is slow and healing!:) :-) (:
 
@JoeKnows With your IT band issues, did it bother your knee, or were your issues higher up? My knee started to hurt about two months pre-op. The biggest issue is where it attaches to the knee on the outside, but then I see it comes around the front of the knee...at least it appeared to in one of Josephine's posts of the the IT band and where it is etc. Post op I have tightness around the front of the knee, on the lower part of the knee, and a bit of swelling. I don't know if that is part of what was going on pre-op (which I presumed was an alignment issue as my pelvis was being pushed backwards and out from underneath me, so I was arching my lower back). Now that at least one hip is sorted, and the other hip surgery is coming up, I'm assuming the knee tightness and mild swelling (wasn't mild 3 days post-op!) is to do with the dislocation "procedure" :shocked:
 
Last edited:
@Alitm I felt it mostly mid thigh and on the outside, but definitely had some pain and tightness both outside and above the knee.

Unrelated to the hip, but I just sliced my thumb pretty good washing my fancy chefs knife (that I just sharpened). Not stitch worthy or anything, but these tacos better be worth it. At least I didn't do it immediately after the chilis
 
Enjoy those tacos @JoeKnows but take care of that cut too... One thing I've changed since THR is how quickly I treat nicks and cuts. I used to just let things go but now I clean right away, treat with spray and a band-aid... No point in testing the odds...
 
@dapplega For sure, I'm with you on that. I know the odds are very slim but I'm not taking chances. My second thought (the first was mostly profanities) was, "well, at least I did this while I was cleaning it and there was soap on both my hands and the blade." Glad it was my good knife too, my older knives might have made a less clean cut. I'll be getting butterfly bandages shortly, took a solid 5 minutes of pressure before the bleeding stopped even though it was a small cut... And of course it's right on the knuckle.
 
On another unrelated topic - and one I'd consider TMI if I didn't know how many people on here can identify with it - I'm happy to report that I'm now capable of using the toilet without the need for the raised seat. I consider this a huge accomplishment, I hate that thing, haha.
 
Thanks for the info re: IT and knee. I just keep icing. It comes and goes. I don't think anything will settle completely until after Nov 8, when left hip gets replaced. Until then it is a bit of :headbang: in terms of straighten myself out!

So sorry about your cut. Yikes! So painful on the finger! I hear you and @dapplega about being extra careful. I had a teeny tiny little abrasion that was probably from when they removed tape from surgical drape, in a rather tender groin/hip area, and my underwear kept rubbing on it. I freaked as it was the first week...I freaked at everything that week! Sent a picture to my OS and everything. He must have had serious rolly eyes! He came back with, "not worried, no polysporin"! Keep your finger butterflied and clean. All that bleeding probably had a great cleansing action.

Great news on ditching the raised toilet seat. I'll have a week and six day grace before I'll need it again after my six week check up with no 1 hip, so probably will be lazy and keep it. Mine is comfortable! Once I'm done with no 2 surgery and am beyond the six weeks, all the early days stuff will be expressed back to the Red Cross, with a nice donation of course :)
 
Hey Joe,
Happy (belated) One Month Anniversary! :happydance:
I missed the cut story above. I hope it's healing.
Have to say I agree that I look at and treat cuts totally different since THR.
One of those things we have to live with I guess.
Hope you're enjoying the weekend and have a great week to come! :)
@JoeKnows
 
Okay, here's a weird sitaution. I should warn you, dear readers, that this involves both bowel movements and a testicle.

The short version is: 1. Has anyone had psoas problems on the non-op side? And 2. Does anyone have experience with psoas problems causing issues with bowel movements / pain rediating to the genital area?

On Friday morning, I had some sudden pains in my testicle on the non-op side. Obviously I didn't think this could be related to the hip replacement, and chalked it up to random post vasectomy pains I've heard about from friends (mine was in 12/2017). My bowel movements have also been off schedule, but that happens sometimes, and I assumed the stomach pains I experienced were due to the "I just got hit in the testicles" feeling. Some back pain too, but I've pretty much had mild lower back pain since high school

No improvement Saturday morning - still ranged from totally fine to the radiating pain and nausea as if I just got hit. After scaring myself with Dr. Google, I decided to go get checked out at urgent care - main concern being bacterial epididymitis, since I read that can get into the bloodstream easily. No symptoms of infection, but I'm paranoid about it.

Urinalysis was normal, but the urgent Care doc gave me a shot of rocefin anyway (which hurts, by the way). Went for an ultrasound to rule out testicular torsion, no results yet (but it's not likely, and apparently the tech usually calls the doc right away, before the radiologist even reads it, if torsion is suspected. She (of course it was a she on duty at urgent care for this, haha) was leaning toward idiopathic epididymitis.

After some further googling, I found some indication that there are nerves running through the psoas into the genitals, and reference to digestive issues caused by psoas tightness... Hence my questions above. I'm strangely hoping this is related to the hip, because I really don't need another random medical issue popping up right now, haha. Trying the stretches for that, my right side it definitely tight compared to the operative left side, so this seems like a good explanation.

I know I'm venturing into the inadvisable world of self diagnosis, but it's Sunday so I can't exactly go to the doc who did the vasectomy today. Plus I wanted to document this in case some future hippie searches this forum for a similar problem...
 
Oh, those downtime hours on the weekend, @JoeKnows, when one is wont to worry about all sorts of things medically related, knowing that unless it's an emergency it is not going to get resolved. I did think I'd weigh in regarding the toilet riser, however, as I'm still thankfully using that and not sure when it's safe to ditch it. I was happy to offload the walker as quickly as I could, but I am nervous about using the toilet seat. I am tall and our toilet is low and ancient and I'd be very anxious about sitting down too quickly and jarring my hip. You are a month out, it would appear, from your surgery date so maybe, if you feel your thighs can support a slow and careful ascent and descent, it would make sense. As completely unattractive as mine is, I feel it provides security for me now--but I'm less than two weeks out. And, ouch, all those assorted pains sound pretty uncomfortable. Other than generalized aching in my hip/glutes/thigh, I am not having any of the sort of stuff you've related--but good luck. I think the icing, rest and being sensible are probably the best courses of action.
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj - I know I'm probably at the most dangerous time for dislocation, since I feel normal enough to get overconfident... Trying to be careful about that though.

I haven't been freaked out about most random pains, but this one I can't help worrying about for obvious reasons, haha.
 
@Barbaraj - I know I'm probably at the most dangerous time for dislocation, since I feel normal enough to get overconfident... Trying to be careful about that though....
.

This is exactly where I am. I feel normal enough. I don't want that 'overconfident' feeling to lead to a setback. Trying to get my expectations/activity aligned properly with the physical healing side, so the mental and physical can march along in tandem, if you get my drift. But the strange disconnect, as illustrated by that line graph that has been posted here and there on these forums: "You think you're here, but you are actually here", makes it tricky.
 
For sure. My biggest problem is sleeping - I've found myself kicking the pillows off the bed, and barely catching myself about to roll without them between my legs... Which is dangerous, since I used to sleep in basically the exactly wrong position (right side, left knee lifted up and across my midline). Hard to apply conscious restraint when I'm unconscious...
 
For sure. My biggest problem is sleeping - I've found myself kicking the pillows off the bed, and barely catching myself about to roll without them between my legs... Which is dangerous, since I used to sleep in basically the exactly wrong position (right side, left knee lifted up and across my midline). Hard to apply conscious restraint when I'm unconscious...

No feedback on the newfound pains - I haven't experienced that. My psoas is loosening up over here, and thankfully hasn't migrated over toward the midline! Hope you are able to get it sorted.

I like sleeping on my side, and often in the exact position you are mentioning - it became a habit a few years ago, as having my leg up like that seemed to relieve some of the pains I was having before surgery. And find that I like sleeping that was now post surgery too :)

You're probably a bit far along in recovery to want to purchase new items, but I found during my first THR that using a formed knee pillow helped when I was able to finally sleep on my side. It's shaped like an hourglass, sort of - the inward curves helping to keep it between your knees. Much less annoying than a bulky regular pillow. So I was able to sleep on my side, which was half of what I wanted - and the formed pillow kept the leg from crossing over.
 
I certainly don't blame you for being concerned and I do hope it's some odd plaint that is not idiopathic epididymitis.

Stop googling...it is scary...just did it on your behalf.
But do let us know what's going on.
Take a pill and rest tonight!
 
Ultrasound finally came back - normal. With normal urinalysis and normal ultrasound, my money is on an issue with the nerve from the iliopsoas, but I'm still going to follow up with a specialist. I'd also bet it resolves on its own before I can see him, of course.

Very frustrating since the operated hip is doing great... We'll see.
 
I sure hope it DOES fix before then.
I'm sorry...sounds painful!

:fingersx:
 
@JoeKnows Good news that various medical conditions are being ruled out. I certainly hope your pain is resolved before you see the specialist. It sounds really uncomfortable and hope you get some relief soon. Ice the less ah hem sensitive areas of pain perhaps? Ice is always my go to. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for your comfort :fingersx:
 
@Alitm I have definitely been icing. I think icing my right hip has had a positive effect, which would indicate nerve pain, but it's hard to tell because it comes and goes anyway.

Once this goes away, and assuming I avoid another new and exciting problem, I'll be quite happy... I frequently forget the cane now, and walking normally without it only requires a little conscious thought instead of constant focus.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom