THR JoeKnows Recovery

@wonkyhipoy after the scare they gave the Rams, I'm gonna have to back off on trash talking them... I'd say good win, but if you didn't dominate the raiders after giving the Rams a run for it, I'd be very concerned, haha
 
Now @JoeKnows, no snarky comments about the Hawks. I just got back from an outing with a friend so don't know the final score, but assuming from your comments that the Hawks did defeat Oakland? Husband zipped off to the gym in my absence so he's not around to proclaim/cheer. After the UW Huskies frustrating loss to Oregon yesterday, it would be nice to hear the Hawks won--and assuming you're pleased too, @wonkyhipoy?

I am glad to read that you do take your cane when on outings involving uneven ground. I still find that challenging when I am out and about. Went to some restaurant with our friends yesterday, one of those oh-so-quaint little place with uneven pathways to enter and substandard lighting at night, and I was really glad I had my walking pole plus my husband's arm to cling to. I think hips do reasonably well, or at least mine seem to, when they are on flat, level surfaces. Those outdoor bumpy paths plus dreadful lighting, can be really dangerous.

Hope you got some great pumpkins at the pumpkin patch--are you or your wife the designated carvers?
 
Last edited:
Ah! life in America!! Football, Hawks, Huskies, Red Sox etc (but not football as we know it here..., and Pumpkins! Pouring with rain in the about to go to bed. Night!!
 
@Barbaraj They did win. I didn't bring my cane to the farm bureau event, but definitely should have - had to walk very carefully. And as to the pumpkin, we usually just give the girls a few knives and let them do their thing, is that not normal? Haha no, they help clean out the inside and I have the eldest draw the shape she wants with a marker, then I carve.

@SurreyGirl I enjoy real football too - just not as much as American football, and it takes a little more effort to follow over here. Wish we had some rain... Hopefully coming soon.
 
Oh, forgot the relevant part - we ended up spending a good part of the day at the park. Felt like I needed to move around a bit anyway. I feel like my muscles could use a little working out, but then again, I felt like that a week or two ago and it turned out to be a bad idea, haha.
 
Very funny, @JoeKnows, I am glad to hear that you were kidding about kids and knives! With no kids living here anymore (although they do drop in for feedings occasionally) I don't do Halloween décor anymore. I bought a glass pumpkin at a street fair last year, and it gets plopped on the dining room table as a centerpiece every year. Glad you got out and moved around at the park, and hope it wasn't too tiring (although often it's the day after that we say to ourselves, "sheesh, that was dumb...".
 
We actually don't do much Halloween specific decorating besides pumpkins - though we have several boxes of fall decor I have to dig out every year and hang a bunch of stuff. It does look good, but... So much storage space! Haha

I also just noticed my gardener put down winter rye seed already (the Bermuda lawn won't survive the Bakersfield winter temperatures, but this is a tad early). Which means I need to check my sprinklers and fix whatever isn't covering well, and there's always at least a couple sprinklers that need cleaning or replacing... I hate to pay someone for that, but no way I can dig and squat enough to do that. Hopefully my father in law is between projects, haha. Or maybe everything will actually be working properly, but that's very unlikely.
 
Hey, @JoeKnows, hope you're having a good day in central California--sunshine out? Of course, I just remembered you're back at work at least part-time to maybe full, so maybe your only glimpse of sunshine is through office windows. But, if it's really nice out there, leave early and then, if it's warm enough, plunk yourself down in a lounge chair outside, or if too cool, then a comfortable chair by a window. Of course if it's raining terribly, turn on sports (aren't there sports on TV 24 hours a day?!!) and chill out. Whatever, have a good one.
 
@Barbaraj - The weather is fantastic right now, highs in the low 80's but chilly in the mornings. Still hoping for rain, just to knock some allergens out of the air. I've been back full time for a couple weeks, but I do manage to leave early or (like today) run errands in the middle of the day, since I tend to get in around 6 a.m. Today I was taking care of some stuff for my almost two year old's birthday party this weekend, as well as some other random errands. Dropped off my truck for an oil change, walked back to the office (guessing about 500 yards or so). Then walked back to pick it up, ran to the bank, stopped at Costco for some party stuff, Bev Mo for some grown-up beverages for the party, dropped it off at my in-laws house, went to lunch, and now back at the office. Did that all without a cane and with what I think was a normal-ish gait, but now I'm icing at my desk, haha. Thanks for checking in.

Although it's almost all positive, I have been getting some stinging / burning type pain around the incision sometimes when I move - I'm guessing the nerves are just waking up a bit and getting mad at me, since it's not red or swollen or anything. But besides that and the surrounding muscles generally being out of shape, feeling good!
 
Although it's almost all positive, I have been getting some stinging / burning type pain around the incision sometimes when I move -

I had a fair amount of this for several months post op.
Normal as you become more active...was for me.
The zap or sting could catch me off guard...but would almost always be fleeting.
Hope today is a Good Day.
(You've dropped down to almost off The List...Joe)
Smart man!:ok:
 
@Mojo333 didn't I tell you I went out and played ice hockey the other day? Lol. I can't come off the list, I'd have to change my signature again
 
If you behave...you will be doing amazing things without pain.
I had a few crazy "hey, I almost messed this up moments" but overall I gave myself ample recovery time and put myself back on the trails!
 
Had one of those the other day - I was going with a female attorney to a meeting and we took her new car, which sits quite low to the ground. I've only had to get into my truck or an SUV since the surgery, and neglected to move the seat back first. Had a twinge of pain as I crammed my 6'1" 200 lb frame into car... gave myself a scare, but nothing lingering, thank goodness.
 
Ugh! ugh! ugh! Made me cringe.
I can just imagine the feeling of some of the movements and the resulting pain people describe.
Glad you're ok!
Hope you have a great day in sunny Cali, Joe :SUNsmile:
@JoeKnows
 
Well, it's a new day, @JoeKnows, so another opportunity to behave yourself today--or not. If it were me, I'd be bracing for the birthday party this weekend. With four kids, I've hosted my share of birthday parties for kids, and they've always been controlled (or not) pandemonium and that's pre-hip surgery! I hope your wife is going to be running the party, and you'll be in a chair somewhere so you can't be run into by excited little kids! Sorry to hear you've had some twinges in your groin area. I sometimes get those, too, but just think "oh, another sign things are getting back to normal" and I move along. A low seated car for a tall guy, though--that sounds really difficult. My car is not a sports car but it's certainly lower than an SUV, and I'm still getting into the passenger seat by turning my back to the seat, sitting down and then swiveling around. Yet another thing I'm looking forward to in the hopefully not too distant future: getting into a car without so much caution and disabled person deliberation. So many goals...
 
My car is a Mazda MX5 (Miata) and I haven't tried getting into it yet. When I do it will be with great care… Not worried about the driving position but could be "fun" getting in and out…
 
Bad, bad @MrDIY--you should NOT be encouraging that! We are all gonna stay safe and sane today, right? :angel:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom