THR JoeKnows Recovery

I was going to take the wife to sushi, but she's apparently shopping for more fall decor... I don't know if these are national stores, but she's going to both Home Goods and Hobby Lobby, so I might see her by midnight

My femur fractured during surgery, although it
Really doesn’t make a difference because of all the waivers we sign pre-op. Had a 3 week check up yesterday and saw the fracture ( it takes a while to heal) and was told I could go full weight bearing AND must use 2 crutches or walker always, for 3 more weeks. I’ll take it. I can drive and return to work in 3 weeks. So I think that is good progress. No PT until after next set of X-rays.
He said the fracture happened when the planing machine slipped a bit. Who knew there are drills, saws, planers, contortion devices ,etc. involved.....thank goodness for anesthesia!

@Atkinson8 that's why I was so confused when my wife said there was a fracture - I could bear weight just fine and had no extra restrictions. Turns out it was just a tiny fracture in what I think is the trochanter of the femur, and it isn't really taking much of the strain from my weight or the implant.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good prognosis, all things considered. It's definitely crazy how this surgery is to building furniture - I have similar tools in my garage!

Oh man... After going out to lunch (couldn't tskr the house anymore) I attempted to go for a walk - didn't make it very far before I realized it was too hot and walking around the house is probably enough right now. Then I came back to my wife trying to yank out 16d nails in studs that were holding up a heavy decorative window she wanted to replace with a fall thing, while on a ladder. I convinced her to just bend them down with pliers and cover them until fall is over and I can do it haha. Luckily she didn't put a hole in the wall with the hammer (it takes me a big pry bar and something to use as a fulcrum to pull those out, they're in an awkward spot).

THEN she told me her dad, who was a licensed contractor for years, is going to be home in a few hours... she's as stubborn as I am.

Hi Joe.
Sounds like you are holding your own with this recovery business and minding your Ps & Qs.:curtsey:
Hope your birthday weekend is sweet.
I saw the best recipe for Red Wine-Stewed Prunes with mascarpone cheese on the side. SIGN ME UP FOR THAT.
:loll:
Sorry lovesstars. Things I can't imagine saying ...strange what changes during recovery...but I do hate prunes!:eeeuw:

Oh yeah, I sure do know HomeGoods and Hobby Lobby. HomeGoods is my home away from home happy place!
Sushi would have been cheaper than her trip to HomeGoods and Hobby Lobby, I'll bet.
Woman on a mission with home decor'.....lookout, nothing is getting in her way :heehee:

Hope you've recovered from the activity of yesterday. It's a new day, Joe. Make it a good one. :ok:
@JoeKnows

Maybe he's taking the day off @Alitm :yes:
He's running out of material, I'll bet :wink:
Using some child psychology on him.....he'll never catch on. :heehee:

Hi Joe :wave:

@Mojo333 Well, the one thing you probably wouldn't fully approve of is that I'm posting this from my office... I told my partner that I could cover a deposition by phone today, since he's unavailable. At least it's by phone and I don't have to drive the two hours up to Fresno. It should also be fairly short, I'm thinking 1.5 - 2 hours (although opposing counsel is rather long winded).

I'm treating this as a dry run to see how I do in the office while nobody's here. So far, I think I may need to order one of those desktop riser thingies so I can stand and work if I so desire, but at least my office chair is relatively comfortable and has a little lip on the side so it holds ice packs against my hip well. I think I'll start doing work this week, but primarily from home (even though it's much less efficient to work on my tiny laptop than it is with my two giant monitors and ergonomic keyboard at the office).

@Layla - Considering I'm picking up a borderline unreasonably expensive recliner in a couple days (well, my friends are picking it up, I'm not doing it personally of course), I don't ask what she spends at these stores!

@Alitm - Not much entertaining material to post unfortunately. Last night we revisited the, uh, mutual spousal expression of frustration with recovery, let's call it, so I was in a bit of a bad mood last night. We mostly resolved it, though there's still the bit of an argument hangover this morning.

One semi-funny thing is that, when I turned the light on early this morning for a bathroom trip, there was a small house spider on the wall near my head. I instinctively smashed it with my hand, which woke up my four year old - she came in and asked what the noise was, but I didn't want to mention spiders to a four year old in the middle of the night so I told her I knocked over my water bottle... I don't think she believed me, but she went back to bed, haha.

As for the hip itself, more incremental improvement. The incision itself is a little uncomfortable now, but no big deal. I feel like I can lift the knee toward my body a tiny bit further, to the point where I don't have to use my hand to get the leg into bed (though it takes some conscious effort), and I don't need to be as cautious getting the leg out of bed. The muscle toward the top of my incision is still inflamed (I think its the gluteus medius) and feels a bit like there's a hot dog under the skin, haha. With the curve of my incision, it kind of starts at an angle at the top and behind the incision, and then runs parallel to the bottom half of the incision, so I think this is a muscle he had to cut instead of pushing it aside, so it's understandable. I also have some lingering groin pain that started with a sneeze of all things, but that only acts up if I try to lift my knee too far (which I try not to do).

@JoeKnows you chose the optimum path for return to bed re: water bottle spill vs. spider thumping!

I think we all go through "mutual spousal expression of frustration with recovery" periods. My husband said to me this morning, "I can't believe that nurse at the joint class told us that most people are back-to-normal at six weeks"! Although I do expect to see incremental changes each week, my reply was, "Yes I will be speaking to the OS about that misleading comment when I see him on Tuesday. It really is unfair to the folks that don't have the benefit of forums such as BoneSmart". Lots of undertones going on there :heehee: Hubs has been amazing this last week, and I think he was surprised by how tough it was, all the way around, for all concerned!

I was amazed at the ROM in doing a isolated heel slide this AM (I have done nothing but walk and wiggle and paddle my feet for circulation ...OS orders for the first ten days). In a reclined position, I was able to bend my knee op side knee up as far as my non op knee, without breaking the 90 degree caution. I almost fell out of the recliner with surprise!

Good that you had a trial run at the office without anyone there. I do believe that once you are there with everyone else, the expectation, despite what one says, is that you are "there"! That's is also my thought on doing laundry too soon!!! :snork: Get whatever you need to be comfortable at the office. It will make a huge difference I'm sure.

Enjoy your recliner. I have found my recliner and ice machine to be worth their weight in gold this past week!

More icing on that "hot dog" muscle perhaps? Give that strained, sneeze-related groin muscle a bit more time and I bet it will be sorted soon.

Hopefully your weekend improves :SUNsmile:

:banghead:
Good post op. Great news!
I'm assuming OS thought it was okay you drove to your appt :driver:
Drink shower beers and swoop toddlers off the ground while in golfers reach...
We still need to keep a close eye on you :skep: You crazy character! :heehee:
@JoeKnows

And don't forget the "rolling over the arm of the low rocking chair" to get out of it....OMG- that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! :blackcloud:
We should all take bets on whether @JoeKnows will make it to 3 months without dislocating his new hip!! :rotfl:

@Small1014 - Hahaha happily I don't have to do my rolling exit - only ever did that in my pre-op practice. I've managed to gently and carefully get myself in and out with arm strength since the surgery.

I'll gladly take the over on that bet, and I'll cover anyone taking the under! Haha.

Edit: Plus my fancy recliner that arrives Tuesday: (a) doesn't rock; and (b) is a few inches higher.

@JoeKnows, you should create a program ... maybe sell it to couples ... using the expression "mutual spousal expression of frustration with recovery." Classic!!!!!!!! ... did you borrow that one from someone or coin that on your own?

Phew! Baby down, dad followed shortly behind. Most of the 1.5 hours or so was spent eating fruit snacks and going through a kids pop up Bible she likes. Nothing crazy, though I forgot how low the rocker in the nursery is (basically had to roll myself over the armrest to get out, much to her confusion).

OK , @JoeKnows .... i know the Norco can make you a little forgetful! Sso just as a reminder , the quote above is where you revealed the "rolling out of the rocking chair" info..... which was POST surgery!

But hoepefully you'll use that new recliner for bedtime stories in the future, and then we can all relax!

@Small1014 Ooooh that. That's the only time I've sat in that rocker, and won't be doing it again! Didn't realize how low it was until I was already in it, and I certainly wasn't going to lean forward past 90 degrees. I'm off the Norco - the only excuse I have is that I'm listening to a witness over the phone and through an interpreter, which is a bit distracting.

@Going4fun - That's my original expression as far as I know... I'm a master of euphemisms.

Starting to get pretty uncomfortable at my desk, but I'm chained here until this call is over... glad I brought multiple ice packs.

Regarding the whole bathtub thing... there are two things according to my GP (she used to an emerge doc). She said, part of it is dislocation risk... the OS office recommends a tube transfer for that. The second is the wound... not just ensuring it has healed, but that no internal stitches are sticking out (sometimes referred to as splitting a stitch). If you have a split stich, they need to be trimmed and healed over. My GP gave me the all clear at 4 weeks, but I still waited for clearance from my OS this week... and even still, will wait an extra week just to be on the safe side, as it is a hot tub I will be using.

Cheers

Sounds like you are over doing it my friend! Be careful - it all adds up to a setback. Far too early to be trying to sit anywhere for that length of time!

@Jaycey - I admit I'd rather not be here... at least we're past the main testimony so now I can pace around on speakerphone. When I agreed to cover this, I expected it to take about an hour, and we're pushing 3 hours now unfortunately.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back