THR JoeKnows Recovery

Oh I already have the post op x-ray (though it's a picture of a picture of the computer, haha). Let's see if I figured out how to embed it:

[Bonesmart.org] JoeKnows Recovery


@Jaycey Oh I definitely am NOT attempting that stretch! Just wish I could. As much as I like my doctor, I have no desire to see him in a professional capacity any more than necessary!

My back is preexisting. Minor disc problems, minor alignment problems. Long distance running for years (with terrible form) didn't help, not did a car accident a year or so ago. I definitely would have forgotten to ask about the Flector patch mentioned a few posts ago - added to my notes, thanks.
 
@lovesstars Oh I'm mostly kidding about the fracture - I just have an image of it happening during surgery and then the doc telling his team, "it was like that already! I swear!"

Really it must have been preexisting and minor - I've never been unable to bear weight on that leg. I'm sure it was a tiny crack that he noticed, and if he didn't notice and band it, I'd be in a lot more pain and have a much longer recovery.

Mmm... Might get another bagel sandwich this morning. Although I think I'll keep this whole healthy eating / drinking less thing up, I've gone from 207 to 198 in the last two weeks. Nah, another bagel won't kill me.
 
@Josephine has alot of experience with looking at Xrays.
They shot a paneling screw in one of mine also.
Common apparently.
I have mine framed...reminder of how I got to good again!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] JoeKnows Recovery
    rps20171022_092750.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 147
Damnit @lovesstars now I'm hungry! And I don't think the bagel place is open at 2:30 am, unfortunately... Haha. Guess I'll try to do some of that sleep I always hear so much about.
 
Hahahahaha @JoeKnows that’s perfect!! You made me laugh out loud! Keep ‘em coming! You go get your beauty sleep!
 
@Josephine has alot of experience with looking at Xrays.
They shot a paneling screw in one of mine also.
Common apparently.
I have mine framed...reminder of how I got to good again!

They call it a paneling screw? That's hilarious... I wonder if they use drywall screws too. Maybe they keep a Kreg jig on hand in case they need to pockethole a screw... Orthos really are carpenters.
 
Try to rest whenever possible. I was a serial napper floor first four months :yawn:
The angels on your avatar...oh my stars! What little doll babies.
 
The angels on your avatar...oh my stars! What little doll babies.

I have so many pictures... But I figured I probably shouldn't post their faces. Luckily they have a grandpa with a place on the California Central coast, that's where this pic is.

It was crazy hair day today for my eldest - mom put her hair in two little buns with cupcake liners around them, sprayed them pink, and put fake cherries in, haha. Good thing they get their cuteness from their mama.
 
Best of luck at your appt today.
Drive safely and fill us in afterward.
Will look forward to you post. Love your list of question in # 157 :heehee:
You're a funny one @JoeKnows
 
Alright, done with post op appointment, currently sitting at my allergists office so they can make sure I don't have a crazy reaction to the shots I've been getting every week for the last six months (better safe than sorry I guess).

Doc is generally pleased with everything, but said I could be doing better due to the lingering log leg. He offered PT now if I wanted to go "pedal to the metal," or wait and reevaluate at 6 weeks. I chose the latter, since it's consistently improving.

Incision looks good, just steri strips on the ends of the incision now. I'll get a picture when I clean up all the lingering adhesive and whatnot.

The fracture actually WAS intra-operative, but it's not the kind of femur fracture usually discussed here - just a tiny crack on the femoral neck. A picture is attached showing what I mean - unfortunately I forgot to get pics of the new xrays he took today, which were much more clear.

He put me at ease regarding the random pains I get, basically responding the way I imagine everyone on here would: "well, you're two weeks out and I did a lot work around your muscles, so.... Just wait."

Apparently he uses more or less his own kind of approach, a cross between mini posterior and direct superior. But when he caught the crack and decided to put the cable in he had to basically expand it to a traditional posterior (he said he could have just cut more bone, but it looked like it would heal well and provide more support if he left it). He seemed pretty proud of the fit he got with the stem.

What else... Reiterated the precautions, no swimming or bathing until six weeks, pillow between the legs sleeping, bla bla don't ruin his dislocation record.

I was pleased to hear that he will prescribe antibiotics before any dental procedure / cleaning for life - he said the medical community argues about it, but why not take a precaution against the potentially huge complication of infection? Same way I think about it.

I didn't even ask about work, since frankly I'm going to do what I'm comfortable with anyway, haha.

Overall we're both pleased. As long as I refrain from severe idiocy and keep doing what I'm doing, outlook for 6 week appointment is good.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] JoeKnows Recovery
    20180920_115430.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 156
They shot a paneling screw in one of mine also.
@Mojo333 That's not the way to phrase it! These screws being used has nothing at all to do with the patient. It's just the design of the device that calls for it.
Apparently he uses more or less his own kind of approach
They all do, Joe. Never seen two surgeons make the same incision - not once!
I was pleased to hear that he will prescribe antibiotics before any dental procedure / cleaning for life - he said the medical community argues about it, but why not take a precaution against the potentially huge complication of infection? Same way I think about it.
I don't agree. Using antibiotics for unproven situations like this is how we came to have MRSA. Probably the single most devastatingly dangerous bug ever. And it all came about by injudicious use of antibiotics until now we have practically no effective ones left to use. Think of sepsis - a fatal infection - point made!
 
Good post op. Great news!
I'm assuming OS thought it was okay you drove to your appt :driver:
Drink shower beers and swoop toddlers off the ground while in golfers reach...
We still need to keep a close eye on you :skep: You crazy character! :heehee:
@JoeKnows
 
Last edited:
@Josephine I suppose you're the other part of the medical community he was referring to - I do understand both sides, and I hate when doctor's (specifically our pediatrician) prescribes antibiotics for every little thing. His rationale seemed to be that a prosthesis makes it a special case, not like he'd recommend it otherwise. Reasonable minds certainly can and do disagree, but on this I'm going with my doc.

@Layla It was one shower beer! And even with one good hip I'm agile like a cat. But the word of BS mods has stuck in my head and I'm being cautious (mostly). He actually asked when I first drove, and I briefly considered hedging my response... But I told him honestly it was 4-5 days post op and he scribbled a little note in his chart. Probably "at risk for idiocy."

Got the incision pic - couldn't get all the adhesive and/or dead skin off and didn't want to scrub, but it's the best I could do.

Hmm, doesn't want to insert... Stand by.
 
Incision looks really good and clean!

What worked for me with that adhesive was to slather a bunch of body wash on the area (with a clean hand)
as soon as I got in the shower. I'd turn that side away from the shower head and let the soap work as a solvent of sorts as I washed my hair. I even lightly scratched some of it that was furthest away from the incision and it would come off.

I like to kid you about the shower beer because I've never heard it mentioned before. I guess it's no different than a woman soaking in a bubble filled bath with a candle burning and a glass of vino. Never tried it. Feared the combo of warm water and Wine would put me to sleep, I'd slide under and wake up choking, lol.

Have a good one and behave yourself.
@JoeKnows
 
Hey let's not discriminate, I happen to enjoy bath wine as much as shower beer - no bubbles though, I have to retain some degree of traditional masculinity... @Layla

Also - that waterproof dressing I had on was apparently the source of a significant amount of irritation. Feels muuuuch better now.
 
His rationale seemed to be that a prosthesis makes it a special case, not like he'd recommend it otherwise. Reasonable minds certainly can and do disagree, but on this I'm going with my doc.
But Joe, there is no evidence that peri-prosthetic infections arise from oral flora. I'm basing my thoughts, not only on the declaration of the various august bodies in the US and the UK (as cited in here Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures) but on the findings of one Gerhard Male who developed a machine that can identify the DNA of bacteria and after some years using it, he has yet to find a bug from the mouth in a PPI! In fact, he has identified lots of totally new bugs, never before seen! But like lots of these things, the medical fraternity is slow to take it up!

I'm not trying to make a quarrel here, Joe. But it's my job to make sure both sides of the coin are shown to members and guests alike. Hope you can understand that.

Blessings
Jo
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom