THR JoeKnows Recovery

I agree with lovesstars on the timing. It seems around day ten or eleven my husband felt secure in leaving me longer and he did. I think his first long outing was to golf which probably took him away from home for about 5 hrs. I believe it was after that we both realized I could handle a week day alone while he was at work. I think we were both ready. Me to be solely independent and have some quiet time. Hubs anxious to get back into his normal routine. Not sure when you're targeting your return to work but a Phased Return is advised. Sounds like you'll have the ability to ease back in. Here's an article as a rough guideline if you haven't read it already -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/
Hope you have a nice day, Joe.
@JoeKnows
 
@Layla I'm not sure what my plan is for work either, haha. I know I'm covered through September at least. Now that I'm just using Tylenol during the day, I think I'll see how my home office chair feels tomorrow. I know there's some research and writing stuff in my inbox that can easily be done from the recliner. For physically going back... I dunno, whenever I feel comfortable (or too stir crazy to stay home anymore). Phasing in won't be a problem, I don't have any trials scheduled for a couple months.

I've caught myself forgetting to use the cane a couple times. For instance, I just laid... layed... lied... I just got into bed, and forgot to turn the fan on, so I got back out and walked across the room before I realized I didn't have my cane. Of course it's with a major Trendelenburg gait, and yes I'm going to use the cane until that stops, but encouraging that my body felt good enough to let me forget about it.

Can't wait to see what my incision looks like on Thursday...
 
It's currently 3 am. I've been awake since 2, which isn't unusual for me even before surgery. Decided to take a Norco and read for a bit, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about a bagel sandwich. I've lost nearly 8 pounds in the last couple weeks, so by God, I'm going to get one in a few hours (or whenever I wake up again). Nice to have a goal for the day, haha.
 
Cabin fever is the worst!
Unfortunately somewhat necessary.
Hopefully you can get some fresh air though. I had to sit on the porch when no-one was home as I was strictly forbidden to navigate the steps with no handrails when home alone.
I would pace up and down on my walker like a caged animal:umm:
All worth it, promise!
Bagel sandwich...never thought I was so impressionable but apparently the power of suggestion had gotten to me this morning.
May have to leave for work early!:)
Hope you behave today...will be checking back later!
Some cruising along back of sofa or countertops without aids gave me better idea if muscles were still reeling from all the trauma.
Have a Good Day:friends:
 
@JoeKnows And your wifey will think you are a genius if you have breakfast handled for the entire fam- bonus hubby points!:idea:
 
So how do you like your bagel sandwich, Joe? Just curious....

One thing to consider about work, I believe Mojo brought this up originally but it can pertain to many.
Be READY to go back, when you do go back. Once people see, or assume, you're back, they begin to act like you're back and expect that "you are back."

The scar unveiling is interesting. I was anxious to see mine, but a little frightened also. You want the reassurance it looks as it should, or even better :yes: Only one day until the big reveal!

Hope you have a good day. A comfy nap is in order after your early morning awakenings. :yawn: :sleep:
@JoeKnows
 
So how do you like your bagel sandwich, Joe? Just curious....

Normally a fried egg, ham, and cheddar on an everything bagel (with whatever hot sauce is nearby)... But I actually called an audible and got cream cheese and lox (one of the few things I would not add hot sauce to). Everything I dreamed of, haha.
 
Haha! Pretty much the same here. I like egg, either ham or bacon and cheddar on an everything bagel.
You have to have the chipotle sauce and I don't even mind some red onion and red pepper when I splurge on one of these. Happens once in a blue moon on a Saturday morning. After this convo, Saturday may be the day!! Sometimes normal conversation feels good sans Hip talk.

Hope you have a good day, Joe!
@JoeKnows
 
As much as I'd rather think about sandwiches, my lower back is driving me nuts this morning. I'd love to use this topical NSAID I have from a car accident a while ago (called a Flector patch), but I'll stick to a long hot shower (maybe even a relaxing shower beer this afternoon) and icy hot until I talk to the doc tomorrow. I just wish I could bring my knee up to my chest to stretch it out... Sigh.
 
@Toddlermom good idea for the weekend - during the week we don't have a lot of time for breakfast. Well, I do, but wifey wakes up fairly late and the girls eat at daycare. I made dinner last night, so I'm sure I can manage some "sorry daddy's been useless for a couple weeks" pancakes this weekend, haha.
 
It's a serial posting kind of day for me.

Haven't had a nap today, which is surprising given my lack of sleep last night. Got too restless and went downtown - yes, I drove again, mods please don't beat me up. Needed to get fingerprinted for my state bar (for non-US readers, it's the entity that controls the license to practice law), since California apparently lost everyone's fingerprints we gave when we passed the "moral character examination." How I passed that in the first place I'll never know...

Anyway, ended up having lunch with 2/3 of my partners. Surprisingly comfortable the whole time, and it was nice to catch up. A lot has been going on in my absence. I feel like getting out actually gave me more energy this time instead of being draining, although I decided to come home and ice instead of doing the last errand I intended. I'll be heading out again tomorrow for the post op (I'm driving myself again and you can't stop me... I'm full weight bearing, it's my non-pedal leg, and my truck is an automatic, so there).

I have my smaller kiddo solo tonight. Wife is taking the larger one to a church thing, and our support system (wife's dad and his wife) are out of town. Really I just need to feed her and get her in the crib, which shouldn't be a problem. Definitely skipping the bath, not sure how I'd manage that. She's usually very good about just walking herself back to her room - she even holds my non-cane hand, which melts my icy heart - so all I need to do is change a diaper and toss... I mean gently place her in bed. I've mastered the one-arm / lifeguard rescue style pickup, and luckily she's not in the 99th percentile for every measurement like her sister was at this age.
 
Aaw...good daddy points cause "some people" to disregard infractions.:yes:
You are doing very well Joe and with little ones about also..
Guessing you are very careful about getting in and out of the car.
I just worry for you as its been only two weeks and that ff thing which we won't mention.
Just be mindful and absolutely no falling!:nah:
Did I mention that is against the rules?
Hope your night is peaceful!:ok:
 
I won't beat you up on the driving if you're off the heavy narcotics. Tending to the one yr old makes me nervous, only because if there was some type of accident within the home and you had to tend to her quickly, you could hurt yourself in these very early days. At age one they toddle around like little weebles, you never know if / when they'll fall and hurt themselves. I'm sending up a prayer all goes well :prayer:

It's nice you got out and had lunch with partners. It's uplifting to feel part of the world again.

- she even holds my non-cane hand, which melts my icy heart
I guarantee this melts the heart of every woman who reads it. So sweet, Joe.

I hope you have a special night with your littlest sweetheart!
@JoeKnows
 
Phew! Baby down, dad followed shortly behind. Most of the 1.5 hours or so was spent eating fruit snacks and going through a kids pop up Bible she likes. Nothing crazy, though I forgot how low the rocker in the nursery is (basically had to roll myself over the armrest to get out, much to her confusion).

Any suggestions on post op questions? Appointment is tomorrow at 10:30 (PST, so 1:30 eastern, and I think 6:30 pm in England). So far, I'm planning to ask:

1. How's the incision? Is my leg falling off?

2. What's the story with the femur fracture?

3. Did you reaaaally notice the fracture before you put the stem in?

4. I know I shouldn't compare my recovery to others, but please compare my recovery to others and tell me if I'm winning.

5. Can I drive yet? (If the answer is no, I will repeat this question until he changes it to yes).

6. Seriously though, you sure you didn't cause that fracture? I'm not even mad, let's just be honest.

7. Should I have some tramadol on hand in case I have a setback? Please? That stuff works great for me. What do you mean "drug seeking behavior?"

8. When can I expect whatever muscle is supposed to pull my knee up in a marching motion to stop being a quitter?

9. When can I play golf? Can I chip and putt if there's no pain at least?

10. Hey our kids are going to be in the same class next year, can we be friends and maybe you invite me to the country club I'm pretty sure you belong to?

11. I know you caused that fracture, why do you keep telling me you didn't? Who are you calling? Why does an orthopedic practice even need security?

Okay maybe I'll modify those a little bit, but let me know if there's something I'm missing.
 
I just wish I could bring my knee up to my chest to stretch it out.
Be very careful with this one Joe. It's a dislocation waiting to happen with a new hip. Perhaps add this to your list of questions at your post op. I was not allowed to do this for 6 weeks post op LTHR and I didn't even attempt it until that time post RTHR.

Also ask if you can medicate for your lower back. Is this a chronic problem or something that has developed post THR? It's not unusual for backs to flare post op. Heat sometimes helps.
 
Question:
3. Did you reaaaally notice the fracture before you put the stem in?
Answer: Are you reaaaally a lawyer?
Yes, it was there previously!

10. Hey our kids are going to be in the same class next year, can we be friends and maybe you invite me to the country club I'm pretty sure you belong to?

"Yes, and sure...any time"

Hope he finds everything healing perfectly.
You can Post follow up Xrays here if you get them...and you'd like to.
 
Listen @JoeKnows — at my pre-op with the OS, during what he called his “doom and gloom talk” — like “ok, here is where I give you the Doom and Gloom talk”...he told me that there was a chance that he would fracture my femur during the surgery. He said “I promise you that me delivering the news that your femur has fractured will be the most painful part of that situation”...and that it would require being on crutches for an additional eight weeks. But I have to say that at that point I thought I would be walking without a cane at the end of the first week post-op.

(Says the woman who is still using a walker in week four — but hey, I drove a little bit yesterday and walked UP my block UP a hill — so I am a rockstar nevertheless...even though my body was so tired I couldn’t put myself to bed last night).

Just know that the fracture happens. But you are already DOING SO WELL!!!!! In my humble opinion if you don’t heal well from this then it will plague you for decades. GIVE YOURSELF A GIFT — AN OPPORTUNITY TO HEAL — but with many more bagel sandwiches.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom