THR JoeKnows Recovery

Dang you’re making me jealous talking about going out having margaritas with friends and eating a big satisfying meal!! After taking one of these oxys, I can barely eat one piece of pizza and I’m too scared to drink more than one beer! Happy birthday and glad to hear you had a good day with minimal consequences!
 
Brief update because I'm exhausted and mildly intoxicated: I did a lot with the kids today. Had an @Toddlermom style dance party with the girls and generally tried to do more active dad stuff. My thought process, crass and inadvisable though it may be, was basically "eff my hip, it's my birthday and I'm doing what I want." Went out to dinner again.

I did have a lot of resting time watching football with the family, my sister, and my soon to be brother in law. Speaking of that, I'm now an ordained minister... They asked me to officiate and it turns out you can get ordained pretty quickly online by a "church" that California recognizes. Like 3 minutes.

On the physical note, none of the above gave me any trouble. I noticed for the first time that when I got out of my shower, I led with the operated leg without any pain (it's about a six inch lip). That's a major improvement in my mind.

I can guess what the consensus on here will be, but I'm considering a stationary bike with little or no resistance this week... We'll see.

Also, I decided to invite my surgeon to my youngest daughters birthday party. We're nearly the same age, our kids will be in the same grade, and we live in the same neighborhood. I'll let you guys know if he files for a restraining order.
 
Okay, a few hours ago I asked my doc if it was too early for a stationary bike via an app he uses. He just replied saying it's okay with light resistance - can't believe he replied at 9pm on a Sunday. I love my wife's insurance and this ortho practice (SCOI if anyone else is in southern CA).
 
I think just try the stationary with no resistance even at first..
Just listen to you body regarding whether it's too much too soon.
Hope all went well for birthday.
Glad your leg is getting stronger...

Onward and upward:egypdance:
 
Happy to hear you had a fun birthday. Shaking your booty and all. I'll bet the girls loved it!
I sure hope you're not paying for it today.

I agree with Mojo, I wouldn't use any resistance to begin with and I'd take it slow. Then wait and evaluate how you're feeling the next day. It's seems early to me at only 2 1/2 weeks post op, but what do I know, lol.
I hope you have a good day!
@JoeKnows
 
I noticed this morning that I no longer feel like my op leg is longer - I know it was mental / due to tight hip muscles, but now when I stand with my feel together and weight evenly distributed, I actually feel level.

I can also get into and out of the car without having to use my hands to assist my leg - I think I'm still using my abs a bit to help my hip flexor getting in, and it takes a bit of conscious effort, but definitely an improvement
 
@JoeKnows Dance on!!! (Or slightly wiggle or wobble to the beat because they are too little to know the difference :rotfl:). Just avoid twisting—-good Lordy! I am partial to simply waving my arms around. Kids were my PT for first 10 weeks.....cause they were just exhausting.

Glad you are figuring out your new logistics for the car. After hip #1, I found that there were several muscles that were completely disengaged and not moving properly, and other muscles that were OVER working. Keep on resting, that muscle work should start in earnest once all those surgical incisions have healed. So you have a few weeks. If you irritate the soft tissues, it takes longer to recover. (My IT band was problematic for a short period.). Take care!!!
 
I wandered back to this thread to see what kind of mischief @JoeKnows is up to. Quite a bit, I see!
But JoeKnows, it’s all good. Really.
You are like twenty years younger than me and if that means you are healing super fast — yay for you!!!!

Planning on bungee jumping this weekend, then?
 
Planning on bungee jumping this weekend, then?

No that's next weekend... this coming weekend is a mixed martial arts tournament. I haven't trained or anything, but I figure I'll probably be fine...

Haha actually I'm feeling this weekend a bit - still improvement as described above, but definitely being a bit more stationary today. I intended to feel out work a little bit (the people who would delegate to me are all out of the office most of the week, so it's a good time to go in and see if my staff remember who I am), but decided to delay that and just sit on my butt most of the day. Still might try out the stationary bike, if only to work off the ridiculous amount of cheese I ate yesterday. While there was cake, my wife literally put a candle in the wedge of blue cheese instead - she knows me well.
 
Great that you have recovered from your partying weekend and not only that, have discovered your legs are now the same length AND that you can do the stationary bike without resistance! What a great belated b'day present!!! Thats a YAY for you!!!:happydance::egypdance: :cheers:
 
@Alitm I'm not actually sure if I can do the stationary bike or not, haven't worked up the motivation to try yet, haha. Currently I'm doing some paperwork (more accurately computer work, I suppose) in bed. I've been sleeping in the guest bed in our kids' playroom the last couple weeks, because (a) the foam topper was cheaper in twin size, and our master bed is pretty firm, and (b) I snore when I'm on my back. Currently trying out the master bed now that I can sleep on my side with pillows between the legs, seems like it'll work... though I'm sure I'll be forced to use my anti-snoring mouthpiece thing, I'd much rather sleep in the same bed as my wife. Might try it tonight, we'll see.

Okay fine, I'll go wheel out the bike and see what happens. If you don't hear from me, just pray that I didn't fall off and lose the over/under bet on dislocation I made earlier in this thread! (Is that joke too dark? I've never been a great judge of what's appropriate and what's not...)
 
@JoeKnows I think most of us who are chatting get the humour in a big way!!! For @#$%^&* don't come off that bike! My post wasn't an invite to get into trouble!

Yes, I would much prefer to be back in bed with Hubby, but sleep tops it all right now. I think I'll get a cue from my lack of twinges in op leg that will signal time to try again. At the moment I feel very fortunate to have found something that works.

My hubby definitely snores on his back, although rarely there as he is a side guy too. If he were the one having the op, I would have to sleep somewhere else, due to the snoring! He gets the elbow too, under healthy conditions!
 
Oh @Alitm MY sleep is going to be the same regardless of location - the elbow doesn't even wake me up anymore, and the mouthpiece just leaves me with a sore jaw when I wake up... It's my wife who might not sleep, haha. Though I was a little happy to hear that she hasn't slept well with my absence.

Currently on the bike. Plenty stable and comfortable. Just testing it out, I have to turn it up to 4 out of 8 resistance before it get uncomfortable (I'm leaving it at 1, just wanted to check limits).

I can definitely see a big difference in the width of my quads though. I'd be disturbed, but I remember how small my father in laws calf got on his operated leg when he got his knee done, and he worked out fine.
 
Okay... 20 minutes on the lowest setting completed. Felt good - in fact I got odd the bike, folded it up and rolled it back to my office before I realized I wasn't holding my cane. I immediately feel like it woke up the muscle that's been ignoring commands - might be psychological but I feel like I can lift my knee easier. Gonna stretch in the shower, then ice. Unless I get hit with pain tonight or in the morning, I'll definitely continue this.
 
Okay, a few hours ago I asked my doc if it was too early for a stationary bike via an app he uses. He just replied saying it's okay with light resistance - can't believe he replied at 9pm on a Sunday. I love my wife's insurance and this ortho practice (SCOI if anyone else is in southern CA).
I'm in so cal @JoeKnows , what's SCOI? I'm guessing Southern California Orthopedic Insurance? But is there such a thing? I have great insurance now but am always curious what's out there.
 
Close, Southern California Orthopedic Institute (my surgeon's group). Looks like you're in LA so you probably had a lot of options, but up here in Kern County it's where anyone who has a choice seems to go. The staff and doctors are all awesome. My reference to insurance is just because if I were on an HMO I don't think I'd be able to go there. We're on a Blue Shield PPO through my wife's job (I declined my firm's insurance because hers is basically gold plated).

@1stSurgery
 
Great that it went well on the bike @JoeKnows! Sometimes it can be day 2 that bites you. Listen to your body. You are doing so well! Interesting about the muscle waking up. You will get your quads back. I had really strong in my general pelvic area, strong quads, transvers abdominus, gluts etc. from riding. I think one of the things that hastened my down hill slide was that my competition horse was injured for a year before we felt we could never get him back. Not riding and keeping those muscles in shape played a negative roll in the grand scheme of things.

Have you heard much about the elliptical for recovery? I've heard about the bike, and read somewhere about the elliptical. As a rider, I found the elliptical great for cross training as it works all of one's body. I guess I'll start on a bike and then move the elliptical WHEN THE TIME COMES! I'll have to ask my surgeon about that for the future...have to look down the road to that.
 
@Alitm I'd think the elliptical would be fine whenever your body can handle it, but as I've said before, always double check anything I say if it sounds like advice - unless it's about my job or food, I'm probably wrong.

I think my incision might be trying to spit a stitch - there's a tiny little black dot just off to the side of the incision itself. I've read you basically just leave it alone and keep it clean, so I'm not worried about it - just another weird thing bodies can do.

I can't decide if I'm more stiff or just the normal amount of stiff this morning after the bike yesterday. I did wake up around 2:30 am, which was 7.5 hours after the last Tylenol, and fell right back asleep without needing anything. Of course when I woke up at 4ish I changed my mind and took some, haha. But glad to stretch the time out.

Just remembered we're out of coffee. That is a problem. Luckily the gas station by my house had excellent coffee (interesting backstory too - it's locally roasted by a charity that employs foster youth to give them job experience). The relevance is that I'm thinking about walking there... But that's a bad idea, it's a couple miles round trip. My wife would not be happy to have to load up the girls and come pick me up, haha.

Oh! And I have a massage at 10:15. Super excited about that. I probably should have made sure she's comfortable working around the incision, but knowing her it'll be fine. Just thinking about a quad / IT band massage is making me feel better... I need to tell her to go easy though, she's half my size and strong enough to rip my leg off.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom