TKR Jo has a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now there's a good idea.....where is that wine fairy?:cocktail::cocktail::cheers_wine:
 
Gosh, Jo, if I'd known that YOU were the wine fairy :cocktail: I'd have hopped a flight and flown right over to see you :hysterical:.

Thanks so much for your very nice comments on the Bone Smartie Club. Made me feel really good.:blush:
 
Hi, really good to read all these comments – so at last I know why I still limp a bit – it’s lack of wine! Have pretty well avoided it cos of all the painkillers but I’m out with friends on Monday so will see if it helps then. Of course if it doesn’t work I’ll get all the comments, so glad I’m not the only one –my friend says things like “it’s not good today is it” and I feel so cross - I want to say nor would she be after having her knee sawed and hammered - but of course I don’t!
 
Judy - I love being the wine fairy :th_heehee: and you are welcome - you will be such an asset :thumb:

Fiona's Mum - It's amazing what some people will say and I have thought of saying the same thing back :th_heehee: but as you say we don't ( maybe I will next time I get a comment). Treat yourself to a glass of wine on Monday :thumb:
 
Jo ~

Speaking from experience, I think it is important to maintain a regime of exercise. I say this, because I didn't! As you know, I had major life difficulties this past fall, and almost immediately after the first big hurdle, I stopped my exercises, and didn't have time to fit them in. So, I haven't really exercised since the end of September. I know that my ROM hasn't really increased much, and that I would have less pain and stiffness if I were able to continue exercising. I truly believe that it made a huge difference in my recovery.

So...I would try to continue the exercises you were sent home with for as long as possible. I really think you'll know when you can stop. Until that time, continuing the exercises will never hurt you, and can only be a benefit to your longterm health.
 
I don't know that wine actually relaxes the leg muscles all that much but it certainly makes me care about it less.:biggrin:

I dipped into the cooking wine last week because after such a long time, that's all I had around here. But today I went out and bought me a decent bottle of vino! So cheer!!

Dori
aka GrandyGirl
 
Hi KK
Thanks for your encouragement - it's always much appreciated. I have to admit that I have always been an exercise freak, so having a knee that now works again I am on the case big time :thumb: I am so delighted that I can exercise without pain and I can't wait to step up the pace. I am trying to structure a regime that fits into my life :thumb:

I hope you can get back on track with a routine that slots into your life - it could actually be very beneficial to you mentally at this difficult time. I find exercise is a brilliant stress buster!
 
I agree that regular exercise of some kind will help with continuous improvement. If I don't do something, I certainly can lose function.

I also love the discussion about wine, one of my favorite topics!!

Here are some fun quotes:

"Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy." - Alexander Fleming

"Beer is made by men, wine by God." - Martin Luther

"Wine is at the head of all medicines; where wine is lacking, drugs are necessary." - Babylonian Talmud

And a fun one for my friends in the UK: "I can certainly see you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and claret." - Basil Fawlty (John Cleese) :hysterical:
 
:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: so funny Barb :wink1: I very much agree with Alexander Fleming and don't you just love Basil :snork:

KK - that is a lovely photo of you.
 
Jo ~ Thank you! That's actually a picture from a concert where I was directing my choir. Arms up in the air and all!

I may have to do some investigation of the muscle relaxing qualities of wine!!! Mmm....

:cheers_wine:
 
Hi Jo! I have finally caught up with your recovery! I feel bad because I wasn't here to support you like you did me, but you sound great!! You are doing so incredible getting out with your beautiful puppy and all the outings with your hubby.

I know what you mean about people commenting on your limp or your progress, there just isn't any way they can without making you feel bad. It either feels like you are getting pity or are being compared unfavorably to someone else. My family can say something to me, but only if they say it the right way and I am in the right frame of mind - if you know what I mean! :wink1: As a general rule, I think it would be better if everyone just took do what we tell our expectant fathers to do - just agree with their wives and tell them they look pretty!

KK - that is a beautiful picture of you!
 
Hello Friends

I haven't posted for a week or so as I have been away on a short break with my husband and my new knee :biggrin:. We went to France (Brittany) and had a lovely time, a little wet on some days but we still really enjoyed it. We managed to eat seafood everyday and drink plenty of the wonderful wine. My knee behaved so well and I really can't believe the amount of walking I was doing. It was pleasure to be away on holiday and not worry about how far I might be walking or how far the car would be parked from the hotel. It was such a different experience being away and even my hubby kept commenting on how fab it was to be away without all the restrictions that would usually be on us due to my knee.

We were able to walk around the markets and meander around the cobbled streets without a worry and my knee was just fantastic. No swelling, no aches or pains, no icing and no pain killers. I felt somehow liberated with this new body - I'm sorry if I sound over dramatic but I really felt great :yahoo:. I didn't ever realise I could feel this great again and so soon after my op. I am still working on my gait and I feel I am actually making progress with this. My hubby informs me that I am walking really well and keeps telling me not to stress about it :rolleyespink:.

I now have 5 weeks to get an outfit and shoes for our sons wedding - the biggest challenge here for me are the shoes :skeptical: . I have been looking at shoes on-line and I'm dreading having to wear anything other than trainers or Birkenstocks <HELP>!!!!!! Panic has set in with me on this issue, so I shall keep you posted on how I do. At present I have two pairs on order :th_heehee: and possibly another pair will be ordered later tonight after a glass of wine (or two) :th_heehee: .

I hope everyone is well and all the new/old knees are behaving. I shall now spend the evening catching up with everyone.

Happy Sunday evening to you all.
 
Hi, Jo -

What an awesome report!! I'm so glad to hear that you had no problems at all on your holiday to Brittany and i heartily endorse the concept of lots of seafood and wine. Where did you go? Our cruise from London to Barcelona in September calls at St. Malo and Concarneau in Brittany and we're looking forward to seeing the area.

I hope you can resolve the shoe issue before the wedding. I'm still wearing my old shoes because I absolutely hate shoe shopping. My feet are extremely fussy so I can't order shoes on-line. Are you wearing a long dress? I don't wear heels at all and I like a ballet slipper flat under a long dress.
 
I hope you can resolve the shoe issue before the wedding. I'm still wearing my old shoes because I absolutely hate shoe shopping. My feet are extremely fussy so I can't order shoes on-line. Are you wearing a long dress? I don't wear heels at all and I like a ballet slipper flat under a long dress.

Zappos.com with free returns has changed my fussy feets lives! (Are we allowed to say that?)
 
:wow2::hapydancsmil::goodpost::hapydancsmil::wow2: ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY GRRRRREAT!!!!!

All that pain, discomfort, struggle, frustration, and hard work came together and ended in success! A toast to you and your knee:cheers_wine:---you both deserve it.

Aah, come on----getting a pair of shoes for the wedding can't possibly be as hard as all this was :wink1: and certainly not as much fun :th_heehee:

So happy you had such a great vacation!!
 
Hi Barb
We took the ferry to Roscoff and stayed there. The port is a little way out of the town and the town is so compact and pretty. We stay there often on our trips through France. I have a French road trip booked for July and we are staying in Concarneau for 3 nights at the end of our trip. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was lovely, with a beautiful beach - just stunning landscape. You will have a fabulous holiday - I'm so excited for you. You must let me know what you think of Brittany - I simply love it! My camera does overtime when I'm there.

Judy, wedding shoes are a nightmare for me :snork:, it's funny as I have shoes coming and no outfit as yet. That must be the wrong way around for most people :DOH: :snork: It's good to see the wine still appearing on my posts :wink1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom