Guest viewing is limited

TKR JJ65's RTKR Recovery Thread

Super, Super, JJ65! Good #s! You should be all set with your regular activities keeping you improving. Way to go! (I do understand your earlier thoughts about PT being something you looked forward to; I've had the same experience. But you really don't kneed it any more. Woo Hoo!)

As my flexion improves, and I do more things, I am experiencing some pain in the other knee, in my hips, etc. It's a sign that you are moving forward and using all your joints more. As @sistersinhim said, your TKR will continue to take on more of the work as it strengthens, and things should even out.
 
I actually got good news yesterday !!! My insurance did approve me for 6 more sessions. So, I talked and we are doing 1 PT appointment each week. This makes me feel better because I am nervous about going back to work and if I have any problems, I can ask at PT how to deal with the issue. I am a cashier so am nervous about the long hours of standing that my knee and leg will swell a lot and that will cause problems. Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend everyone..
 
Ok, have a new question... burning sensation at of the incision... Is it normal ? Anything to do to help with it? How many weeks will it last for? Any answers would be loved... thank you...
 
When do you know you are ok to start driving again? Does the doctor release you at a certain time?
As others have said, it might be good to check with your car insurance. My understanding is that it's good, maybe even essential, to have medical clearance to drive if you want insurance to cover you in an accident. I had my right knee done in June and the surgeon's assistant said that I was cleared to drive when I was off all daytime opiates and felt like I could hit the brake pedal hard in an emergency, so it was more about function than a specific number of weeks. I had adequate strength and good flexion in the right knee at 4 weeks so I started driving short distances at that point. The first couple of trips I had a friend with me who could take over if I felt the knee strength flagging but I was fine. I kept it local and generally trips under 20 minutes. At close to 6 weeks I had a medical appt 40 minutes away with highway and city driving and I got someone to drive me--just thought that might be asking too much of my knee.
 
Had my one time a week PT today and they had a student shadowing in there today. I was a little upset afterwards because the PTAs there do not push or pull on a persons knee. However this student went to measure my bend, and pushed a bit to get some more. :-( I thought about saying something, but did not. Looking back I should have said something.
 
However this student went to measure my bend, and pushed a bit to get some more. :-( I thought about saying something, but did not. Looking back I should have said something.
I agree that you should have said something. How else is the trainee going to learn? Next time, you'll speak up, I'm sure.
 
Figured I would update. Had an appointment with my OS today, I was 7 weeks out yesterday. Got the all clear to drive and the ok to go back to work. Am wondering if I need to include travel time in the suggested hours of work, or just time at work. I am a cashier so am standing a lot. I am planning on a phased in back at work thing, but it is an hour to and from work. I would like any input. He wants me to continue with PT until I get flexion of 125.
 
I think it will be hard for you to stand comfortably for an extended length of time. Can you have a stool nearby to sit on? I expect for the first week or two you will be exhausted on the drive home. If you can count your travel time you should consider it. I was still mighty tired working half to 3/4 time at my desk job at 7 weeks.
 
Had PT today, getting to a 120 is hard for me to do and knowing I won't get released until I get 125... has anyone ever gotten stuck at around this point? And extension is at 3 right now, and they want me at 0 and 3 is hard for me to get.
I am thinking about going back to work for 4 hours on Tuesday and Thursday to see what I can do and handle. I have to make it worth my time to drive to work and back and actually make some money to pay for the gas it will cost. Otherwise I would just do 3 hours I have an hour to drive down and an hour back so am going to see what will happen. I am going to talk with them tomorrow. See what can be worked out. Oh, I mentioned it to the PTA today about the fact that I didn't really like the student pushing on my knee last week.
 
Had PT today, getting to a 120 is hard for me to do and knowing I won't get released until I get 125... has anyone ever gotten stuck at around this point? And extension is at 3 right now, and they want me at 0 and 3 is hard for me to get.
@JJ65 - did you realise you can stop going to PT any time you like? It's your knee and your decision.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

It's still only about 2 and a half months since you had your TKR, and ROM (both flexion and extension) can continue to improve for a year, or much longer, after a knee replacement. In spite of what your PTs are saying, there is no deadline you have to meet, no "window of opportunity".
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Of course, your PTs are focussed on the ROM numbers, because an improvement in ROM numbers is something they can show to the insurance companies, to prove that their ministrations are effective.
However, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Don't get trapped into working harder, to try and increase ROM. It doesn't work that way.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
ROM: it's worth the wait for ROM
ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!

I highly recommend that once you start work again you stop going to PT. It sounds as if just getting to work and back will be plenty of exercise, never mind the work you'll actually do as well.

Many of us (me included) had very successful recoveries without going to PT at all. We just let the normal activities of our daily living be our PT.
 
@Celle thank you for the helpful info. I actually enjoy my PT and am planning on going back to college for a midlife career change and am looking into an online PTA program. My OS wants me to continue with the PT until I get to the 125. Sorry. Thank you again.
 
I'm with Celle. You can stop PT whenever you want, even if your OS doesn't want you to until you hit a certain number. You pay his salary, too, through your insurance, which you pay for! It is your knee, and your body. You have the final say so.

I also never took PT after any of my 11 knee surgeries. I know full function can be done without it! Here in the US it's all about the money.
 
Can someone give me any tips for a person who might have to kneel down for a job? I need to practice. Should I check with my OS first to make sure it is ok to kneel on my knee? How many weeks post op did you try to practice this? Is it too soon to try?
 
I'd check with your OS first, to make sure your implant will kneel. I really don't know one way or the other if all implants are created equal that way. My OS said I could kneel if I wanted to, but said that I should try it later in recovery because 1) swelling and therefore discomfort/aggravating my knee on that degree of bend, and 2) most people don't like it at all anyway, so later might be a more positive experience. He suggested only on soft surfaces... like a bed. Some people do eventually kneel on their TKRs.

Knee pads might help, but again, I would ask my OS before using them.
 
Yes, check with your surgeon first.

I can kneel, but I don't like the feeling, so I only do it when I really have to.

I started several months post-op by kneeling on the bed. Then I graduated to kneeling on a cushion or pillow on the floor, before trying to kneel on the carpet.

I can kneel on a hard surface, but it feels horrible, so I only do it in an emergency.

Having knee pads sounds like a good idea to me - anything to make the kneeling surface a bit softer.
 
Thank you, am waiting for a call back from the nurse to let me know ... it is job related... sadly.
 
Agreed on checking with your OS -- mine OK'd it but said it would taking getting used to and that I might need kneeling pads or a softer surface. I have been kneeling on one of the exercise machines at the gym, but I don't put my full weight on my new knee and the surface is padded. It felt really weird at first but I noticed this morning that it was feeling more normal. It does take quite a bit of practice as well as quad and glute strength to go up and down to one knee from a standing position so that is another consideration.
 
Gosh can't imagine even kneeing on this, but as everyone says we are all different with different speeds of recovery, don't do anything that will set you back that would be dreadful you had your knee replacement 5 days after me and I am no where near the thought of kneeling, just waiting for a "normal" day.
 
@Milosnanna I know, I am nervous about it. I did not get a phone call back from my OS office yesterday so I think I will call on Monday or stop by there on Monday to see what they say. I have some paperwork I need to run by their office anyway to get released to go back to work.
 
Ok, have a question, when did everyone start going up and down stairs alternating feet again? Does going up come faster than going down for most people? I have done 24 steps up twice within the the last week. I can tell it afterward too. Going down is hard for me, I still want to only step down with the operated leg and not the other leg for some reason. Any thoughts and ideas would be great. Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom