Guest viewing is limited

TKR JJ65's RTKR Recovery Thread

Not sure if anyone would know what is happening... my left knee has been bothering me when I am in a car driving and hit a bump it will send a pain signal that is like 8 - 10. Not sure what is going on. I have an appointment tomorrow.
 
Hmmm, you didn’t suffer a fall or other trauma to the knee?
 
Well, my job at the dang casino.... I have had to kneel to clean showers a couple of times... that is the only thing I can think of. ... but it is the knee without the replacement in it.... will see what the doctor says I have a 1pm appointment tomorrow.
 
Sometimes an arthritic knee just gives out. Given your job, that could happen. It's best to just see what the doctor says. Wishing you the best!
 
So got a note for no kneeling at work. Going to have to have the left replaced. Hoping to get my 90 days in first so then I can take my FMLA or whatever it is.... lol and use what PTO I have. So thinking in January sometime.
 
Want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in case I get busy and don't get in here before then again. Been busy with work and grandchildren. I am going to have the left knee done in April or May. Holding out a long as I can to save up money and hopefully get some income tax back. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
So does anyone have any experience with monovisc? I go in for an injection tomorrow afternoon at the office I go to. I am nervous about it all as this is a different OS than the one who did my TKR. This one told me my BMI has to be under 40 to have a replacement. Also told me to try a recumbent bike. I have been going to PT and they have been having me on a recumbent bike and it bothers my knee. This is the non bionic knee that is giving me fits. I can feel the bone rubbing against the bone...
 
If you're lucky, the monovisc injection could relieve your knee pain for a while, which could make you more comfortable while you're trying to lose weight for surgery.
 
Is the recumbent bike at 0 resistance? Sometimes even 0 resistance bothered my knee before TKR, but set with any resistance at all was painful.
 
So does anyone have any experience with monovisc?

I had Synvisc injections, which is the same substance but administered in a series of four injections instead of the one. The first series of injections gave me excellent relief for several months. The second for only a couple of months. The last series not at all, but there were periods of several months between the three attempts (over a period of two years).

Like Celle said, if the injection gives you really good relief you may find it easier to be active and therefore lose weight.
 
I have been going to PT and they have been having me on a recumbent bike and it bothers my knee.
Do you have a lot of arthritis under the kneecap? I wasn't able to ride a bike, even with resistance at lowest point, for several years prior to LTKR because of the arthritis under my kneecap. The left knee didn't hurt with walking until right at the end, just with biking (and using the clutch in my car or stepping on a shovel in the garden).
 
Thank you everyone for your insights :-) The bike was a 0 sometimes and the it would go to some resistance, it hurt more when the resistance would go up. I am hoping this works.
 
I had synvisc in one injection--I'm guessing that's monovisc. I had some decent relief for at least 6 months or more a couple of years before my first tkr. Though my rheumatologist says it works best when your knee isn't too far gone.
 
I get the Hyalgen injections. They kept my right knee going when I had all the problems with the left leg. I get a set of three injections every 6-8 months.
 
Well got the injection. I am glad he gave me a shot to numb the knee rather than just a spray on the skin. I still felt the injection a bit. I have my leg up. Not sure what I am spose to watch out for if there are signs or symptoms to be aware of. Anyone know?
 
I was supposed to take it easy for 24-48 hours, no excessive exercising. Also, it can take a month to begin to feel the affects of these types of shots.
 
My doc always told me to ice after i had an injection, I think for the pain relief. But since it was yesterday you may not need to. And take it easy for a couple of days.
 
Last edited:
Today was bad :-( knee is really hurting ... just took 1 Naproxen and 2 tylenol.... plus am icing.... I think I am going to try wearing my brace that I had for the other knee tomorrow to see if it helps at all. Am hoping it works but now am not sure it will or not. Does it usually take a few days to work? Or does it work right away?
Wow !!!
KarriB if it takes a month that will not be fun for me at all with how it is hurting now... I am almost regretting getting the dang thing...
 
Last edited:
You may not notice the (good) effects for a couple of weeks.
 
Back
Top Bottom