TKR JJ65's RTKR Recovery Thread

I don't know why, but I have not had much trouble so far with all of this, everyone has been amazed at my knee as, I have had very little to no swelling, I was allowed to walk without a cane or walker inside my house and on level ground outside my house at just short of 2 weeks after the surgery. I actually love PT as it helps me to limber up the leg and makes it more flexible for me. Only part I hate is icing at the end to get some more straightness out of my knee, as they put ice on top for like 10 mins. Although yesterday they also put an ice pack underneath which helped a bit. I hate the thought of going back to work eventually, because I really don't enjoy my job. However, in a way I am also kind of wanting to go back as soon as I can, at least part time... Did any of you hit a point where you feel like crying? I am just kind of depressed and feel like I need to get out of the house. Is that normal? I actually have been thinking about going back to college again in my 50's and getting a PTA degree. Wild huh? But I figure out that I have been through some things that patients will be going through and can relate. Hope everyone is doing really well. Blessings All.
 
Oh, am not itching as much as I was the other day, maybe a couple of good showers washed of some left over residue from the waterproof bandage.
 
You're at a point in recovery where many experience post op blues. Being housebound so much, dependent on others and on medication can affect your emotions. Almost everyone hits this wall at some point. Do you have a friend nearby you can visit (and still keep your leg up) or can visit you? My bff is just a few blocks away and when I was feeling down she'd pick me up, take me to her house where we'd watch a movie or play a board game. I was still elevating/icing in her recliner, but it helped to get out of the house.

Some of our other members have mentioned that it helps them to dress or hair and make up helps combat the blues also. I'll leave a link on the blues below.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, I went through the crying stage - as @KarriB says it is quite common and normal in TKR recovery. As you are able to do more, and get out of the house, hopefully you will feel better. I have a few vivid moments of my past 13 weeks of recovery and one is from about week 3 or 4, I was sitting on the shower chair in the living room doing heel slides much too aggressively with tears just streaming down my face. My spouse got me to realize that I probably needed a different plan and fortunately I found Bone Smart a few days later. Hang in there and celebrate the small victory of less itching :flwrysmile:
 
I live in a rural town, but we do, have a paved street outside my house. Called PT and asked if it was ok to wander a block down the street and back. Got the ok as long as it is level ground. As soon as I got the ok. I took my dog on a long leash and went for the walk. This is without a cane or walker. The fresh air felt so good, and even if it is hot outside it was so good to get out. My dog enjoyed it too. It was a slow walk I must admit that I am not setting any speed records. Am thinking about asking my sister and brother in law for the use of their exercise bike pretty soon.
 
Just be careful that wherever you walk you can get back home. It's wise to set your phone alarm for half the time you plan on walking and turn around at that point to head for home. It's very easy to overdo walking, but experience and pain/swelling later at night or the next day.

When I first began using a stationary bike I only rocked the pedals back and forth because I couldn't pedal a full rotation. Once I got a full rotation I rode just 5 minutes a day at 0 rotation because it's just about loosening the knee, not building strength. Training can come later when your knee is healed. Once I hit the 5 month mark I began pedaling for 15 minutes and now ride 8 miles in 45 minutes. My TKR loves it! But at this early stage you'll want to stay with just a few minutes on the bike a day to keep the TKR from swelling.
 
Thank you KarriB I am one that has to watch so I don't overdo things, just because I have been in the weight loss stage mentally of do everything that you can for exercise. I am thinking about waiting on the bike until I am done with PT, but am not sure. They have me on a recumbant bike there for like 10 mins. So am wondering about the difference in an upright vs the recumbant one. Does anyone have experience with the difference in the two and switching? I also have to remember that if I am hurting in the middle of the night to get up and take the pain meds instead of just laying in bed and trying to be tough.
 
Yes, take your meds, but if you're hurting through the night you should look at your actvity through the day. My recovery followed the Activity progression for TKRs during the first month and I didn't know about BoneSmart. My OS wanted me to take it easy the first month or so to let the swelling diminish. So I did a lot of icing/elevating/resting along with ADLs.

I rode a recumbent bike at PT and a stand up at home. My knees had to bend more using the recumbent than it did the stand up exercise bike. Eventually I got a recumbent for my home (family room is quickly filling up with equipment) because it was much more comfortable for my back and bottom.

Right now I'm focused on changing my lifestyle, so I understand your thinking. Just know that you will be able to go back to working out, but it won't be for a few months. You can, however, work on upper body and core strength while your knee heals.
 
Does anyone have an idea for an exercise besides heel slides that I could do that would be like a bicycle action without being on a bike to loosen up the knee on days that I don't have PT ? Right now I have a recliner in my house to be able to get my leg elevated. So I don't really have room for an exercise bike that I am going to borrow from my sister and brother in law. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.
 
Can you sit in a kitchen type chair and let your knee dangle a little and maybe even swing them? Even sitting on the edge of the bed with them bent will help to loosen them up some. That was the first thing I did every morning to get it going.
 
Just had my 3 week post op check up today. My OS wants to make me a poster child for knee replacement. I am doing so well. I get to go back in a month and he wants xrays before the next appointment. :-)
 
Went for a walk to the Post Office and back yesterday with my dog on his long lead. It is around 1/2 mile round trip. I did not set any speed records, but made it. I checked in with a friend on the way down and back and also called to let her know when I was back in my house. I think I will do that again today as the fresh air and the walk made me feel good. Working on doing my exercises at home... waiting on insurance to approve more PT. I am not very patient so it is driving me nuts waiting for the approval.
 
Good idea to check in with a friend! Congrats on the trips outside. I know how good they feel!:roseshwr:
 
Walking is the best exercise of all for a new knee. It gives you all the bending and straightening that other exercises do, and also helps to regain muscle strength. Aim to walk with a good heel-toe gait, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] JJ65's  RTKR Recovery Thread
Don't overdo the walking, though. Build it up gradually.
 
Back
Top Bottom