TKR JJ65's RTKR Recovery Thread

Staples do hurt and become quite aggravating when you are close to the removal date. I iced the area and wore leggings so that material from pants wouldn't constantly be moving back and forth over them creating even more negative awareness of them. It's a very happy day when they get removed, so I hope your date is soon!:flwrysmile:
 
Found out that I was allergic to the waterproof bandage thing. So am now back in a dressing that is not waterproof. Not fun... I was enjoying being able to shower without having to use a garbage sack or something like that to cover the dressing. I have to wait until the 15th to have the staples removed, which will be 22 days after surgery, but the doctor is on vacation this next week. Doing good with PT They want me to switch to a walker with 4 wheels instead of just 2 now which is good. Forgot the walker last evening and actually took a couple of steps unassisted, was surprised it did not hurt and I did ok. Hope everyone else is doing good. Thank you everyone for comments and helpful suggestions. I love this site.
 
That's a pretty long time to wait to get those staples removed. Can the PA do it? You don't want the skin growing over them.
 
The PA took my staples out both times.
 
My home nurse took mine out.
 
That is a long time to wait for staple removal. The PA at my surgeon's office removed mine and the Home Health nurse I had at the time said she could remove them if he didn't. You might want to check into those options instead of waiting so long.
 
Yeah, am hoping that the PA or even PT can take them out. The PT was going to ask the doctor about it being that I should have them out this week and they have the knowledge and the tool there. So am praying that I hear good news on Monday and they can remove them for me.
 
Glad you have your staples out, it does feel good to get rid of them.
 
My knee is itching so bad. I know it is most likely from healing... but I don't want to go scratching and ruin anything... suggestions please. Is this normal ? It is driving me nuts. Other than, this itching things are going so well in my recovery.
 
@JJ65,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Also I've found when taking a bath or shower use Sanex products as it adds a bit of moisture to it and stops it itching for a little bit

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
 
Re itching: In addition to Pumpkin's good suggestions, I noticed that you are allergic to the waterproof bandaging. Itching can be an allergic reaction. Have you been using a new cream or lotion? How about at PT? Is there anything else coming into contact with your leg that is a new material? I became unbearably itchy after I came home from the hospital. I discovered that my husband had used some old laundry detergent that I'm sensitive to for my leggings and didn't set the washer for a second rinse. Have you changed pain meds lately? Naproxen makes me itch. If something like this is the case, you should notice itchiness in other parts of your body; however, I did notice that because of my focus on my operated-on leg, I felt itchy the most there.
 
On another thread you asked about returning work. It's generally a good idea to wait 10-12 weeks after surgery because your knee may still need to be elevated/icing often and keeping it down for long periods of time may cause swelling before 10-12 weeks.
 
Itching. Oh yes! I have and have had it so bad. Yep... can drive one mad! And I have so many other allergies too.
What helps me...also for my scar ( it has to be closed though!) is real lavender oil. I got mine from the apothecary here. The cheap lavandin stuff is not good. (Don't bother with that at all.)
It was recommended by my step mother who is a skin PA. It's also best for 1st degree burns and sunburns...but it can be expensive.
A few drops on your hand and smooth it over affected area.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom