TKR JJ65's RTKR Recovery Thread

Prior to surgery, I did bicycle motions in my hot tub, just sat on bench and pedaled. I'm sure it could be done just lying back anywhere comfortable.. it helped me tremendously. I did it for 6 months presurgery and developEd noticeable inside calf muscles. I was back pedaling recumbent bike in PT within a week of surgery. Just find a good spot to lean back and pedal away.
 
Waiting for insurance to approve more sessions of PT stinks.... I have been for almost 2 weeks without the PT .... I am getting concerned that I am going to lose my progress I have made. I have been doing the exercises for at home that I can do. But I was actually enjoying the PT, it was getting me out of the house and was helping... now I am almost depressed because of it. Although I did my walk that I did the other day to the Post Office and back again today, so that helps a bit. I have to think bend my knee when I am walking... that is the part I have problems with cause my knees have hurt for so long that I was walking without bending my knees at all.
 
I have been for almost 2 weeks without the PT .... I am getting concerned that I am going to lose my progress I have made. I have been doing the exercises for at home that I can do. But I was actually enjoying the PT, it was getting me out of the house and was helping..
You won't lose anything. The normal activities of your daily life are enough exercise. I know it feels good to get out of the house and that's a good reason to go to PT - as long as the therapist is gentle and doesn't expect too much of your knee. But your knee itself doesn't really need the PT.
You see, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
I loved my PT but had to quit earlier than I liked to save some sessions for the other knee surgery. My insurance allows 20 visits per year regardless and I hope to have my other knee done before the year is out. I found I can do about 80 or 90% of PT at home. Much of what I did was just easy to do at home exercises, plus I ride my recumbent bike. Just do what you did at PT at home or the Internet is full of excercise sheets for postop hips and knees from various physical therapy places. Use caution to see what feels workable for you but I find moderate exercise loosens me up and reduces the stiffness.
 
@Celle thank you for the advice, that calmed me down that I will not lose any of my progress.
@Jajakio thank you for the advice, I guess I am worrying too much. I just thought and I am only 4 weeks out as of yesterday. I have seen videos online also and try them.
Thank you .
 
At just 4 weeks you are still really early in recovery so don't overdo it --- you will have better progress if you rest, ice and elevate with very light activity. Check out the article on activity progression that was provided by the advisors and you'll see that at four weeks you should be primarily focused on light activities of daily living. Good luck with your recovery.
 
I think I tend to forget that I am still not very far out from this surgery and I tend to rush things more than I should rush them. I have to remind myself that slow and steady wins the race and that I don't have to speed. I do have a question for people who have been though this. Did any of you have to get refills for your pain meds? So far, I am doing ok, right now I usually only need them at night, every once in a while I will have to take one if the knee is acting up during the day. I don't want to make a mistake and run out of them and not have them when I need them.
 
I was able to call my OS' office and talk to the nurse. I'd explain how many I was taking, what my pain levels were like and he'd write a new prescription. It's a good idea to plan a few days ahead.

As far as the PT, I think you'll be fine. You're doing some exercises on your own and when you do get a new PT appointment they can check your progress. I hear you about PT feeling good because you get out of the house. I used to say PT was my "event of the day!" :heehee:
 
Did you get relief for itchiness?
I ask because it is still the title of your thread.:heehee:
 
@VW54 yes, I got relief from the itching... it sometimes itches but not as bad now... it was bad because of an allergy to adhesive tape, when the put the waterproof bandage on it had adhesive in it...
I got more PT and go in next week 2 times, the week after that will be 2 time and the week after that 2 more times...
Then I don't know the plan after that. I am assuming that I won't be having more PT after these next 6 appointments unless something happens to it.
 
When do you know you are ok to start driving again? Does the doctor release you at a certain time? I am not needing meds during the day, only at night. Any advice from others who have been through this would be great. Thank you. I am not thinking about driving right away maybe 2 weeks from now which will be around 6 weeks out.
 
Here in Austria and in many provinces of Germany, car insurance will not cover one until a full month post-op. Perhaps your state or your car insurance has some stipulations?
Since it's your right knee, which you need to use to brake, you're probably right to be cautious about reaction time. I know some states say one has to be off medications completely.
Hopefully someone state-side can tell you more.
 
I have to think bend my knee when I am walking... that is the part I have problems with cause my knees have hurt for so long that I was walking without bending my knees at all.

Indeed! The pain of a bad knee means STOP, while the pain of a recovering knee means PROCEED WITH CAUTION. At least that's how I interpret it. It's a different message, and after walking bone-on-bone for several months, it's taking me awhile to redirect my thoughts!
 
It's best if you check with your insurance company to see if you have to be OKed to drive by your OS. My cut me loose at 6 weeks, but I waited until the 7th. week. I tried it first with a friend who took me to an empty parking lot so I could be sure I could do a panic stop. I was still really extra cautious even at 7 weeks. Of course, you have to make sure you have no meds or handover from the meds in your system!
 
So I had PT today again... they took measurements and I am at 115 in bend and 4 in extension. My insurance is going to deny more visits for PT so they are going to give me one PT appointment next week, and one the week after and discharge me from PT at the final appointment. The two last appointments are at no charge which is nice. I guess that is good news. So I am kind of happy.
My nonsurgical knee was actually hurting today during PT more than the surgical knee. Don't know if that is normal or not.
 
The opposite knee acting up is completely normal. It's taking on almost all the work. Mine eased up as my tkr leg started taking back some of the work load. Yours probably will, too.
 
@sistersinhim thank you for the info, I was worried as to if it was normal or not. Was afraid that I was going to have to have the left one done as well or something. Hoping not to have to do it for a long while.
 
You're very welcome! Try not to worry, you'll be fine!
 
Back
Top Bottom