Guest viewing is limited

TKR JJ65's RTKR Recovery Thread

I definitely have had an annoying quad pain that comes and goes kind of randomly. To me it feels like that tourniquet pain, kind of a nervy type pain. I tried rubbing it, ice, heat, pills, pretty much anythimg I could think of, but nothing helped me. It would often disappear as mysteriously as it appeared in the first place!
 
@Fire wolf thank you for the suggestions... it is kind of a strange feeling. My left knee which is the non operative knee actually has been bothering me more than my bionic knee.
 
Well, they weren't suggestions really, just letting you know what I tried and the outcomes I have/had. :wink: I hope that you are able to find some relief.
 
Not sure if I overdid it or not today. Took a walk and then measured it in the car afterwards and I ended up walking 1 mile in total. Guess I will know if I end up having to take anything. Felt good to be outside in the nice fall air.
 
Was not feeling too bad today after my walk yesterday so took the same walk again today. It is pretty much level ground. Just a little uphill on my way back to my house. My operated knee is actually doing good. It is the other knee which is bothering me. I am now trying to decide if I should ask my OS his opinion on what to do with the other one? Or should I ask my regular doctor if I can do PT for the other knee ? Would like suggestions or advice from some of you other people who have been through different knees. I really want to wait until next spring after taxes so I don't have to deal with snow and rehab and rides to PT.
 
Lots of members have said their non-operated knee becomes aggravated when it does duty as the "good" leg post-surgery. As your operated knee heals and gets stronger, taking up its fair share of the load again, your knee may settle down again. But it might not. I'd ask the OS about it, but that's based on my experience with my GP. Every time I ask about an extremity, she sends me to an orthopedic specialist. :unsure:
 
@SusieShoes thank you. I will ask my OS about it. They have the xrays of the knee there so he would know what to do. Thank you. I am stubborn enough to put up with it to a certain extent, but now that it is bothering me it is the "squeak wheel " as one PTA told me that will get the attention.
 
If your natural knee is a candidate for TKR, a cortisone or HA injection may extend you to the tax season you mentioned. Your OS is the one to see about it. Sounds like your bionic knee is doing well! That's great.
 
Well was back to work today. Only 4 hours with a stool available. An hour to work and back and now am icing in a recliner. I think both the knees are getting the ice treatment. As of now I have tomorrow off. I have PT on the 4th, and work again on Friday. Right now I think every other day is all the knees can handle. Really need hours so am trying to decide if I should call and ask if they need me tomorrow. What does everyone think is a good idea?
 
Your knee seems to be tellling you to work every other day. I'm a believer in listening to the knee.
 
Had my last PT appointment today. Am at 0 and 125 for operated knee. We measured the other knee an am at -1 extension and 107 flexion for that knee. Going to ask my OS at my appointment on the 12th for a plan on the other knee.
 
Went to my OS this morning it is raining and knees felt good. Then went to work for 4 hours at Walmart... now am limping on the opposite, (non surgical knee) I have no idea as to what could have happened. I am not happy especially when I started a new job on tuesday that is hard but has good benefits.... now am wondering what I should do. Wanting to hold off until spring for surgery if at all possible. My OS did give me a cortizone shot in the left knee. I have never had a bad reaction to a cortizone shot. Does anyone think it could just be the shot?
 
I always had bad pain for a couple days in my knee after getting a cortisone shot. I'm pretty sure that's what your old knee is fussing about. I bet in a few days it'll feel much better.
 
@sistersinhim thank you .... was feeling ok before the shot.... did hear a or thought I have heard a pop sound in it... will give it a couple of days...
Will take prayers I am starting a job as a housekeeper in a hotel at a local casino ... after 90 days can apply for a different department if I want... which I think will happen.
 
Good luck with the new job @JJ65. I sure hope the old knee responds well to the cortisone - I have experienced that it generally takes a few days to kick in.
 
I've almost given up trying to divine why I'm in pain. I just get out the old Lounge Doctor and the ice packs with a big sigh.

My non-TKR knee did give me some pain off and on. It could be that it had to overcompensate for the TKR knee. My massage therapist used to compare the tenseness in the muscles of each leg and tell me whether or not he thought my "good" knee was doing more work than the TKR knee. Over time the balance changed, until one day, he announced that he saw evidence that both legs were "pulling together."

Good luck with the new job, and get enough ice packs so that you can ice and elevate BOTH knees for a while. If you make that a priority after work, you will be doing yourself a favor!
 
Have to give everyone an update on the new job. My supervisor is very understanding and knows I have the knee replacement thanks to me being a totally honest person. So, they are not having me do any kneeling while doing my job which is good. Gives my knees a chance to get used to me being on my feet all day. Have today and tomorrow off so have been resting and elevating as my legs are swollen from being on the feet for so long. Knees are looking good though.
 
What a blessing to have such an understanding boss! Good idea to rest for 2 days.
 
Back
Top Bottom