THR JJ Has A New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJ, you are not crazy about the weather. Every time I have a really off day it is invariably paired with an abrupt change in weather for the worse. I think many of us experience this.

PT has a certain value for us hippies. If nothing us, it ensures that we do the exercises, and do them correctly. It also keeps us moving forward. If I'm told I have to do 20 reps three times a week, that's all I'll do. It would never occur to me to do more reps. Or add more weight. I would never stretch myself beyond the basics. PT is great for picking up on the fine points of walking without a limp and helping to correct whatever is preventing that.

But at the end of the day, we hippies won't hurt ourselves if we DON'T have PT; on the other hand, we can do a lot of damage with overzealous PT. The difficulty is finding the balance between the therapy that strengthens and stretches us without crossing the fine line to that which can harm us. That line is different for everyone, so only you know when it's too much. But most of us want to please our therapists, so it's a bit too easy to overdo without realizing it until it's too late.

I think the secret is to stay very attuned to your body signals during PT. You don't have to moan or groan or whine or complain. You just have to pleasantly assert that six minutes on the NuStep is enough today, or ten leg lifts are the limit today....just as you did today. Assess the soreness you feel today....is it a good soreness or is it a nagging ache that shouldn't be there. Depending on your answer, adjust the next session accordingly. Simply stop each exercise when YOU feel you need to. Don't be surprised if your therapist says to rest for a few minutes and try again. And then don't be surprised when that works and you can continue. Or the therapist may suggest a modified version to make that exercise easier...that works too. If your therapist WON'T work with you to come up with modifications, or treats you like you are being a whiner or complainer, then it's time to have a talk with management or look for a different place.

In a few weeks though, you'll be zooming along, amazed at how much you can do and how well you feel most of the time. The light at the end of the tunnel is already in sight.

Sharon
 
JJ, listen to Sharon, such wise advice :)
 
Thanks Sharon. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I want to get as active as I can as quickly as possible. I also want to make sure I am not overdoing it. This surgery needs to work, I need it to work. I trust my PT to push me to where I am supposed to be, but not to tears.

I made my first trip outside of the house today (besides the 2 trips to PT). I went into work to say hi and Merry Christmas to everyone and did a trip to Walmart. I used on of the scooter carts at Walmart. Have to say they are a little fun. My husband did such a great job. I am very methodical with my grocery shopping and he had to manage the list and cart and such. He was laughing at me the whole time. Says I take grocery shopping too seriously. I look at it as me time. It's usually the time I get away from the house by myself and I enjoy it. Still it was a lot of fun.

4 hours of running around and I am pretty exhausted. My knee hurts more than anything. Thank you so much for the support in this forum. It has really made this experience better, less anxious.

Merry Christmas everyone, or Happy Holidays. Which ever works for you. :happydance:
 
Glad you are doing well and were able to zoom around Wal-mart. In the boneSmart Warrior Community, we say someone tries to make you do more than you should, it is a whack off side their head with a crutch, and sometimes we have to whack ourselves as we want to get back to normal so quickly that we slow ourselves down in the long run by over doing it:xmaskitty:
 
Question everyone. Does anyone start having issues with the good leg? My good leg seems to be hurting since I am putting on my weight on it. Feels like my sciatic again. UGH!
 
[Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip
When I had my right hip done, both my knees were bad, particularly my left knee. But the only thing that made my left knee feel worse was when I had to do exercises that had me putting most of my weight on the left. My left hip has never bothered me at all, then or now.
[Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip
 
JJ, yes, I experienced pain with my other leg post my RTHR, it settled down (even though it will be having its own surgery next year).

I put it down to the fact that my body had to realign itself, especially my pelvic tilt.. Post THR, our skeleton has to readjust to being able to stand straight, no lurching, no bent over, no limping.. This readjustment takes time, but it does improve a little each day/week/month as we become more mobile.
 
Thanks Poppet I am a little nervous about it. I thought my sciatic would get better after the surgery. Maybe with time.
 
JJ, it gerally works out with time, my situation is a little different my other leg will be operated on in March, but even then the right got less pain with a break from the left
 
Congratulations jjhipster!!! what a great way to start the New Year!!! May you have a speedy recovery and share with us your new found movement ability in no time!! :yes!:
 
Ok I'm just going to do it. I am going to use the cane today. I also cut my pain meds back to 1 pill instead of 2. We will see how this works out. I just want to be done with the walker. I don't want to push to hard, but my leg just needs to get stronger and it doesn't seem to be. Lets see how this goes.
 
:iagree: NOT... I don't think that you should take a big leap with both your walking devices and your pain medications, especially days before a major holiday event..... I hope I'm not too late to chime in on this!!!

Your leg will get stronger in time, but first it has to heal up some more. The walker is there to help allow your leg to have a break (which is to move less and support less body weight). When I got off the walker I then went on to crutches (2 for a while and then 1 for a while) and then I went on to the cane -- baby steps are much easier to adjust to early on from the surgery.

And yes, it is perfectly normal for the "good" leg to hurt in the early months, it is doing the lions share of the work in supporting your body, especially when you may be bending and getting up from the bed, chair, toilet. That will get better too -- in a bit more time.

You are only about 2 weeks out from surgery and your job is to be following the directions on the medication bottles, icing, resting and giving orders to the loved ones that are no doubt on holiday and able to fulfill your every request for a few days. :thumb:

Take care and take it easy,
Cardie
 
Cardie is giving you some great advice JJ. My good leg often gives me a twinge or two of pain, but my PT says the same thing Cardie says. It is most likely a result of taking the brunt of the work for quite awhile. Hang in there and don't hesitate to throw an ice pack on the good leg every so often.
 
:iagree: with Cardie and Tammy. My good leg ( with the bad knee) has complained a little, but over time it is getting back to its happier self.
 
JJ, you need to chill. You're only 2 weeks post-op. You're going to have that new hip for a long, long time, so don't screw it up by trying to do too much too soon.

Believe me, I was just as impatient :headbang: and hard headed. Looking back, I don't know what my big hurry was. My hip got well in its own time, sometimes quickly, sometimes very slowly, but in its own time. Pushing the limits will only set you back. No harm done to do a little less than you probably could. Give that shiny new hip time to heal.

Now at 3 months post-op tomorrow (Merry Christmas!) I find I can forget it as often as not.

:reindeers:
 
7 weeks for me today and still moving slow. It will happen JJ...just watch and see. Just do your very best at whatever exercises or therapy program you are doing. Don't cheat, don't skip when counting...but don't do it if it hurts. Slow and steady wins the hip race.

Tammy
 
Thank you everyone. I have been using the cane around the house. Got a little bit of swelling. I know, I know. Gonna dial it back. I just have lots of family at my house and I feel like I should be doing more. It's the in-laws so it becomes complicated. But today I am just gonna snuggle up with my son and take it easy. Today is only 2 weeks post-op and I should be glad at what I have, a new pain free hip that is going to let me really enjoy life with my family.

I hope every one has a very Merry Christmas and a Hippy Holiday.
 
jj - clearly you need to learn to milk this thing. :) You are only two weeks out. You should not feel obligated to be doing anything! I was managing to still get breakfast in bed and some things downstairs fetched for me at two weeks. :cheers2: At the time I was getting impatient as well, but I think it is paying off now. I am off the cane, walking the dog, minimal to no swelling, minimal stiffness. I put up more Christmas lights over the weekend (no ladder) and had no problems.

There are some surgery videos in the library if you want/need to show the family how serious of a procedure you have had.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
 
:iagree: Show the in-laws the really gory, bloody hip replacement surgeries and tell them you felt everything! Milk it for everything it's worth, as nerdgrrl says.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom