THR JJ Has A New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Debowma,it is confusing. I'm a week behind you and i have the 90' restriction and can't cross my legs. PT has me doing 8 exercises 2X day. I am scheduled for out patient PT for 4 weeks. My OS said 15-20 weeks off work. I guess different Dr'S believe in different things......
 
Hi Deb- My OS had similar instructions to yours. I asked why no PT yet. He said he wants to be really sure the bone knits to the prosthetic before stressing it out with additional weight or motion. I guess that make sense. He said at 3 months, then I am free to do whatever, but to ramp up activity slowly. He's the expert with a great track record, so I am willing to go with it.
 
Well JJ, I guess we all are just doing what makes sense and what we can do at the time. Sounds like you need some rest, regardless of what the PT says. I am thinking back to what Josephine says about if it hurts don't do it. I've had a couple of days where I've done a lot, and then felt very tired and sore the next day, and have had to back off. It is frustrating, but the dishes will wait, the floors will wait, the bathtub will wait, and even the job will wait. I hope you are feeling better at this point and less uncomfortable.
 
Thanks everyone. I pretty much slept all day today and feel a little better. It's amazing what a day of sleep can do. I figured I wil just stick to the if it hurts don't do montra like Deb said. I am supposed to go back to work in a few weeks, not sure if that's gonna happen. My OS has been pretty hands off since surgery and the PT has been the one I have been involved with. I'm not overly happy with them they seem to push really hard. I don't mind hard work, it's the painful work that stresses me out. I am saying no tomorrow at PT.
 
I hope you do say no. I looked back at your thread. and it seems that your pt has consistently kept you in more pain. I am no expert but I wonder if that's a good approach? Everything I've read here says that time is the biggest factor. I know that with my first hip I didn't push that hard and it works just like it shjoiuld 2 years later. For me, this time has been hard enough without constantly being pushed to the point of tears. You need to be able to enjoy some of this time. I don't know about you but I get exhausted easily and need time to lay around and read - I think I would be really upset if I didn't get this quiet time. I can't imagine weights right now. Upper body, sure. Hope I don't sound too opinionated. I hope you can get some relaxing time, that's all.
 
I am sorry JJ that you are feeling so bad. Did you talk to your doctor? I was wondering what he said and if you did anything to hurt yourself. It is puzzling how each of us have different instructions to follow, You would think that there would be a pretty standard way of recovering. Some doctors say go to PT, some don't. etc... Hope you feel better soon!
 
Another day of resting hoping this pain will subside. It hurts to walk with the cane. Thinking about using the walker again, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I skipped PT today. What's weird is that my hip feels better when I lay on my tummy. If it is not better by tomorrow I am going to call the doctor and see what they say. He is only in during the mornings on Friday.

Thanks everyone for the support. It's amazing the different protocols doctors have. You would think there would be some sort of standards and such. But then again maybe that's a good thing. Everyone's different.

Texas Girl I think the PT was just too much for me. If I had to guess I would pick the straight leg raises as the culprit. I am not sure if I want to go back to PT. I have dealt with so many surgeries on my hip I know it's limits. I should of stuck with my gut and not listened to The therapists. Not that I know better than they do, they are educated in the field. I know what exercises I need to do and when my hip is ready I will do them.
 
[Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip
JJ, therapist may be educated bookwise and know what the body is "normally" supposed to do ---but most of us don't have "normal" bodies. And most therapist haven't had hip or knee replacement. Some of them have bought into the "no pain, no gain" philosophy and think you have to push, push, push so they have to push, push, push you. Absolutely wrong for us hippies and kneesies---we need a lot of TLC---slow, easy, gentle exercises pushing only to discomfort with minimum aches and pains after we get home. So maybe a vacation from PT is the answer. You can do the exercises you know you need along with your regular walking. I think that would be a very wise thing to do for the time being.
 
Well my leg is starting to feel better after a few days of rest. Even made a trip to Walmart today for some groceries. My son went with me. He is seven and has been such a big help. I walked with the cart and he got everything off the shelf and put in and then he helped me at the check out too. Hubby has been down with the flu so the house is really a mess.

Supposed to go back to PT on Tuesday I will not do any weights or walk without my cane this time. Not gonna do it. I am scheduled to go back to work on Feb. 4, not sure if that is going to happen. I have a desk job, but am running from meeting to meeting all day. I work at the Walmart Home Office and our building is huge and all my meetings are all over the place. We will see.

Also purchased a fitbit this week. Has anyone used one of those? As my leg starts to feel better and activity increases I really want to get rid of this weight. My GP has even given me some phentermine to help get it kick started. One adventure after another.:dancy:
 
Hi JJ

Sorry to hear you have been having problems, wieght issues tell me about it just been out over the past two weeks doing a mile walk everyday with the dog 14 miles I suppose i would have never done if I didn't have the dog.
Never heard of a fitbit that used to be a nickname I had for the wife :heehee:
Best to take things easy and fingers crossed you will get there.
 
Hi jj- the fact that you are improved after rest, sounds like you (or your PT) was just trying to push things a bit too fast. I hope if you can just work slow and steady, you can get to your goal. Is there any way you can video or call in to some meetings? I work at corporate HQ for my company, but there is no expectation of physical attendance at every single meeting. Depends on the sensitivity of the meeting. Good luck. I think even if you do have to return with a cane, you won't be on it for long. It is too bad you feel pressure to keep up appearances, so to speak. I didn't feel that pressure partly because the "young folks" keep injuring themselves playing sports and appearing at work on crutches, etc. Maybe you can tell folks it's a sports injury ;)
 
Whoops! jj - in part of my response I mixed you up with someone else (keeping up appearances). Sorry about that! I blame the flu still affecting my brain :rolleyes:
 
I do not understand why PT throws the straight leg lifts at early post-op THRs. When you think of all that has been disturbed---bone, soft tissues, nerves, blood vessels, etc. regardless of approach---why wouldn't straight leg lifts hurt like heck? My PT the first day post-op had me trying them, and the block hadn't even worn off yet. At home, my PT wanted me to do them and I decided "no way." It seems to me like doing that movement just has to stir things up and cause pain. My PT did agree that I shouldn't push through pain.

No expert on PT here, but I think walk-walk-walk and a few gentle abduction/adduction exercises and stair climbing was all I really needed.

JJ, listen to your body; sounds like it is giving you good instruction.

What is a fitbit?
 
Sissy46, I was wondering the same thing about the fitbit, so i finally googled it. Pretty cool device !!!
 
I do not understand why PT throws the straight leg lifts at early post-op THRs. When you think of all that has been disturbed---bone, soft tissues, nerves, blood vessels, etc. regardless of approach---why wouldn't straight leg lifts hurt like heck? My PT the first day post-op had me trying them, and the block hadn't even worn off yet. At home, my PT wanted me to do them and I decided "no way." It seems to me like doing that movement just has to stir things up and cause pain. My PT did agree that I shouldn't push through pain.
I agree. My OS is quite conservative (no driving before 8 weeks), but his PT protocol didn't have straight leg lifts until 6-12 weeks and I didn't even have to do them before my PT ended. They all have different protocols and some have none at all and leave it up to third party PT businesses, which is irresponsible. That's why it's good to see what everyone else here has to say. Especially listen to what your body tells you and don't do it if it hurts.
 
I have a question for Josephine or Poppet. My husband and my son have come down ill. My son has the flu and my husband has strep. Him having strep makes me nervous. I've had it in the past and seem to catch it easily. Should I be concerned about being exposed to strep so soon after surgery. I am a little frightened.
 
Hi JJ,

As a prophylactic (preventative and remedial), it’s hard to beat a lemon-juice-in-water gargle. The astringent juice helps shrink swollen throat tissue and creates a hostile (acidic) environment for viruses and bacteria. Just mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice in 1 cup water and gargle at the back of your throat.. then swallow.

Also a couple of other remedies...

If you contract a sore throat mix 1/2 teaspoon each of powdered ginger and 1 teaspoon honey, 1⁄2 cup of hot water, and the juice of 1⁄2 squeezed lemon. Pour the water over the ginger, then add the lemon juice and honey. Honey coats the throat and also has mild antibacterial properties.

My premiere herb for a strep throat though is Thyme gargle! The problem with strep is that it can go to the kidneys, thyme helps to prevent this. Thyme is a very strong taste and not everyone can tolerate it.. You can use dry or fresh Thyme and combine it with the lemon juice, ginger(which settles your tum tum) and honey.. I would recommend you sip this very, very slowly :)
 
Thanks Poppet. That is great information. I like home remedies. They always seem to work better and the natural part makes it safer. Wish I could find more things like that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom