THR JJ Has A New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step daughter and one of my good friends are Steeler fans. Sorry the Texans lost today but I am really needimg the Cowbpys to win tonight or they will be out too! I was glasd to see the Longhorns won last night. Since we can't do anythng else, we at least have football!!
 
Starting of the new year sitting and icing. Why do we always feel like superheroes and take on the world. I felt great this morning, jumped (ok stepped) into the shower, did up the hair and make up and went off on a shopping trip to rule the world. Ya, didn't work out the way I thought. Went to Kohl's and had to make myself go to the grocery store after to get milk. All the standing and walking after a tough PT yesterday (they added weights to my exercises) have done me in. Now I am sitting and icing. Did have to take a few percocet. Only had to take one dose yesterday after PT.

I like pushing my limits, each time it seems to go a little further, but all that standing today has my foot even swollen. Lesson learned. (Maybe) I have PT again tomorrow afternoon, so it is rest today and tomorrow.

Hope everyone is have a great start to the new year. We all have such bright days ahead of us. I am very grateful for this forum and all the support. Thank You!!

Updated my blog. Check it out if you have time. broken link removed: https://www.grippigirl.com
 
Hi JJ, I had RTHR Dec 6 2012. I have Hip Dysplasia in both hips but mine was not discovered till I was seen by the specialist for my OA. Pain wise I am doing well. The operated leg is not too bad. The pain is from my left leg that still needs the replacement hip.I went out for the first time since getting home from hospital. I am exhausted today. It was only a short car ride to my sisters to see New Year in.
I am finding my heels feel hot and painful in bed. I will try the gloves tip. I mostly have swollen feet and ankles. I use a box to keep the bedding off my feet as it is uncomfortable. I sleep propped up cos I cant lie flat on my back.
 
Poppet or Josephine or anyone who as an answer, I have a question, you both have been so great I wanted your opinion. How soon after surgery can you get a massage? I did quite a few pre-op to help with the pain and found it very relaxing. My muscles would feel so good after. I went about every 3 weeks to get one. I am 3 weeks post-op and have been thinking it would be so relaxing. I can always have her stay away from my hip. The girl I go see at the spa has been in the business for over 10 years and I really trust her. She does a lot of sport injury patients and that is how I found her. I appreciate any insight.
 
Ooh! That sounds lovely! Go for it - just so long as you don't violate your restrictions, it should be fine. But no lying on your tummy yet.
[Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip
 
Well today was one of those emotional days. Not going into all those blubbery details. I am making a big step and I'm gonna drive tomorrow. Having a massage tomorrow. PT says this should be good. I like other forms of treatment that don't involve drugs. Hopefully this will help my muscle spams. Just want today to be over and move on the the next.
 
Hi JJ. I think yesterday was a bad one for quite a few of us......As someone suggested to me, post holiday back to 'recovery.' Enjoy the drive...independence, whoo-hoo!
 
Well the driving wasn't that bad even with my right hip being replaced. I don't think I would want to go for a long distance. I only went about 4 miles and back. Massage was great. I can't believe how much better my thigh and knee feel. I scheduled another one for next week.

She used a gel called Arnicare Gel. It is made the muscle feel relaxed. You can buy it at Walmart. I put it on my hubby's shopping list.
 
Well I just did 10 straight leg raises without wanting to cry. How cool. Also did a 20 minute walk with my cane. Did try without the cane. I get about 3 steps in and then I start gimping. It's a milestone, and I like it. Next up 20 straight leg raises. I go back to work in 3 weeks and not sure I'm gonna have my stamina up for 10-12 hour days, I have got to get there. I love my job, but it's not one of those jobs you can do part time I must be present for tons of meetings and long intense conversations and then I write the plan for 1.6 million associates to go execute and make happen. It's either all in or all out. I want to go back, but I want to make sure I am up for the fast passed, high pressure fun.
 
jjhipster, You sound like you are doing great. Remember go slow. A message does feel great I get them all the time. I did the same thing when I started feeling better. Did they tell you to drink lots of water after the messages? It helps move the toxins out of your body. Enjoy the rest of the night. Do take care. Tashia
 
Had PT today. Getting a little discouraged. Groin pain is still really sharp. They say I should be able to walk without the cane more than I can. Gave me some additional stretches for the groin. I know it's a slow road to recovery, I get that, but I am just frustrated. One day at a time. I just want this groin pain to go away.
 
What does your PT say about the groin pain? Does s/he think it is your adductors?
[Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip

I felt as if that muscle and tendon got a big stretch from my new hardware, it changed the alignment of my hip joint and my OS also added a little length to my femur this put tension on my soft tissues in my groin. It does get better with time and can also be helped with some massage work. As you get further out from your surgery you may find that using a foam roller on that area will also help loosen up the muscles, but you may want to ask your PT about trying this first since you are still early out from surgery.

And speaking of early out from surgery -- don't feel guilty about using the cane, it's there to assist you for as long as you need it. Many of us have used a cane for a lot longer than we'd ever expected -- you do what helps you walk well and feel comfortable!! Boo hiss on what others may say -- no one is living in your body.

I hope tomorrow goes a bit better -- even if it includes doing much of nothing and resting around after your PT appointment from today. :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Are you taking the pain pills like you surpose to. Around the clock. Is your groin pain worse after PT? When you feel frustrated, TAke a deep breath and relax. Remember to go slow. Take care. Tashia
 
Thanks everyone. PT thinks it's a tenden that may be stretched too far. If it doesn't get better with the stretches then they will want a ct scan. I just don't want to have another surgery
 
Boy the pain is much worse today. I can hardly walk. Almost want to go back to the walker. The pain is more in my groin then the abductors. I'm not sure what I did. I haven't had to take and pain pills for almost a week. Now I am back to two Percocet every 4 hours. I guess I will be calling the dr today.
 
Sorry to hear this JJ. I am a day behind you and seem to be doing great. I still take 2 norcos 5/325 a day for pain especially after PT and home exercises. I am surprised they have you doing stretches. My PT told me that there is really no good way to stretch without breaking the 90' rule. They have me using a device called "The Stick" to stretch and massage. Hang in there !!!
 
Thanks badgerfan. I am glad you are doing so well. The stretches don't break the 90 rule. I lay on the bad with my operated leg toward the edge and dangle it off. And the other one is standing and I arch my back like a c and stretch that way. They feel good when I do them. Sort of like that early morning stretch. They had me walking yesterday without my cane and I am wondering if that may have done it.
 
Yesterday the PT had me do that one where you hang the operated off the edge of the bed . That one kinda bothered me too. I guess my biggest fear was the hip popping out something i gotta get over. She also introduced me to one she called a heel slide where you lie on the table flat on your back and bring your heel into your butt on the operated leg. I kept waiting to hear that popping sound from my hip i had before surgery but it didn't happen.
 
The differences in instructions are so strange! My surgeon said to walk, walk, walk and the only other exercise is side leg lifts, which I can barely do! Also, I have no restrictions anymore and this was after four weeks. No PT. And, 8 or 10 weeks off work? No way. It's kind of confusing to figure out what is best sometimes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom