THR JJ Has A New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Have my first PT appt this afternoon. Not sure what all I'll be able to do. Right now the stretches they gave me take all my energy. Ordered a cane today in hopes to be using it by Christmas. One day at a time and keeping it going. Just wish the emotional part would settle down a little. It's like one minute I am full of energy and in a good mood, and the next I am a crying like a baby. I am not a crier, so this is weird. My son has been so cute in helping me do everything. He leaves strict instructions for my hubby when he goes to school. It's funny. Today he asked if he could stay home to make sure I was being taken care of. Anything to get out of school.

I will post an update after physical therapy today to let you all know. Thanks for all your support and giving a place to vent. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
The emotional stuff is absolutely normal! I'm still like that at 7 weeks. This is such a zig zag journey but because of all the graduates posting here we know in our hearts we will be fabulous in short order. I can't imagine doing this without such support. Go easy on the physio..... I speak from experience as the great overdoer! Talk soon- x
 
Well had PT today. I have to say I think that guy is crazy. First thing he had me do was get on the NuStep machine for about 10 minutes. CRAZY, but I did it. Most of the exercises where for my quad muscles after that. Tried to do some hip flexor exercises and I told him I just couldn't do it. The hip abductor ones just about did me in. I had tears on that one. I know he is just doing his job and trying to help me get better, but today he is not my friend. Not at all.

I wrote a little blog about it if your interested. Me and my walker.
broken link removed: https://www.grippigirl.com/?p=280
 
JJ, you're just a week post-op! I hate to think of you being pushed to tears by PT. Josephine do you think she should call her OS and let him know the PT is too much at this point?
 
Wow Ms. J J, that seems so wrong. I hope those better qualified than me can reassure you that you don't have to work through big pain. You'll need to rest and recoup tomorrow. xx
 
Let me put this into context for you - just suppose you walked up to a person in the street and did something like that. What do you think would happen? I would expect you'd be in the custody of the law in no time flat! Just because these people have a 'professional' standing does not give them carte blanche to abuse you in any way they deem fit, particularly as you have clearly objected and denied them the freedom to do it. In legal terms, that is an assault. If your PT behaves in this way, complain to the facility manager/owner and ask for different PT or leave and find somewhere else that is going to show you some respect.

Besides which, considering you are only one week out, it's totally unnecessary. He should only have you on gentle stuff yet. That should wait until about 6 weeks or more.

You should follow these mantras that the knee people use
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
 
Wow I never looked at it that way. I just assumed he was doing his job and pushing me through. I will call my OS and let him know.
 
jjhipster i also had my first PT session today at home, 6 days post op. I am using a cane about 90% of the time. They gave me five exercises which are, hip abductions, hip extension, hip flexion, knee flexion, and ankle dorsiflexion & planterflexion-active. I do 10 of each twice daily. He said hopefully one or two more visits and then maybe start outpatient therapy.He seemed very happy the way things were progressing.
 
badgerfan how did you do with the hip abductions. I could barely get through them. No straight leg raises?
 
standing on the surgical repaired leg (left) and lifting the right leg was slightly more painful than doing it the other way...
 
jj - Just for a different example of recovery, my OS doesn't even have me starting formal PT until after 6 weeks, if we decide I need it. He says the first 6 weeks are just walking. And really, for my first week, all I did is my walking for daily living - kitchen, Living room (to lay on couch), and bathroom. OS says the first few weeks especially the muscles and ligaments are traumatized and he wants to let them settle down and for the swelling to reduce. Now, clearly, you will go with what your OS says for starting PT, but it seems to me your PT definitely had you doing stuff that was too aggressive. If it hurts don't do it. Someone on this list (sorry, name escapes me) was actually injured by her PT, which has set back the recovery of the muscles. You definitely don't want that to happen.

Good luck!
 
jj, I don't have exactly your experience cuz I had a bilateral, but I Istarted PT right away, 1st in the rehab hospital where I was for 1 week and then as an outpatient. My rehab was ordered by my surgeon with a list of very specific exercises to do - there were about 15 in all. Nothing at all like you did with your PT. rehab followed that script quite religiously. My outpatient PT added to the exercises as I progressed, but slowly. I never got on a bike till week 5, which was after my 1st post op visit where I was given another set of exercises which built on the 1st set, but were more advanced & had a bit more leeway for the therapist to be creative. A slow steady progression of strength building, gait training, & range of motion. No weights till after week 5 & no straight leg raises ever during rehab.

I am shaking my head at what you went through. You have the right to say "no" when it seems off. Please do connect up with your surgeon & get this clarified. You need hugs after that PT session. Good luck!
 
Hi JJ,
Glad to see that you have made it to the other side and are doing well:)
Its 7 days post-op LTHR and am also doing well:cheers:

Cheers, wapse
 
JJ - Hang in there and I hope things are improving for you each day. As far as the swelling, I went to bed one night and woke up the nest morning with a large percentage of mine gone. I think I was about a week post op. I was amazed how much went down over night. So don't get frustrated...sometimes we get a few positive surprises. Ice, ice, ice and keep the leg elevated above the heart. Deb
 
Wow... I find it hard to comprehend with some of these PT's..

Your body is going to heal in its own good time.. someone pushing you past your boundaries is unbelievable..

Be strong JJ - just say.... NO that hurts, and I am not going to do it!

What is he going to do.. Sit you in the naughty corner - I don't think so...

p.s.... Love Jo's saying..

'never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep' ... [Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip can't you just see me sitting in my office, feet up on the desk, snoring away... Love our Jo [Bonesmart.org] JJ Has A New Hip
 
JJ, make sure you elevate and ice after PT.. the ice will be your friend.. :)
 
Hit a milestone tonight. I am laying on my belly!!! I have always been a belly sleeper so lets see how this goes. 8'days post op, I am thinking this is good.
 
JJ, josephine is correct. At 1 week, I was doing isometrics and easy stretching. As a matter of fact, the visiting pt stressed "taking it easy". I was discharged from home visits at 3 weeks (so I could start out patient pt). This required the pt supervisor to evaluate me and she stressed that I absolutely not let the out patient pt load me up with weights and to tell them "no" if they try. My son is a respiratory therapists and he's told me that if any health care provider (doctor, nurse, or any therapist) does something I don't like, tell them to stop, get a supervisor and demand someone else. After my last pt session, the pt told me not to overdo the exercises at home. I 2 sets 3 times a day (all stretching with some stretching of the non-operated leg to force me to stand on the operated leg for strength and balance). So far, the path I'm on is a good one.
 
Had PT again today. Really sore tonight. Not sure if it's the pt or the fact that a big storm is coming. I know it sounds crazy, but anytime we would have severe weather, my leg would ache like you wouldn't believe. I held back during pt and didn't do some of the things they wanted. I just said not today and he was okay with it. Stuck more to the stretches.

Hope everyone is already for Christmas it is approaching so fast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom