Revision TKR JennyLynne's "full" disclosure

Wow, @JennyLynne, just look at you getting all bendy and flexible! The "Little Man," will have to get faster to supervise your walks now; hah!

I don't know if it's relevant, but my back and hips (even the bionic hip) really take a beating from walking. I'm sure it's the altered gait business and altered posture as well. I wonder when that will improve? I love walking now, but as you said, there's a price to pay; pffft!

I broke down and bought some nail polish Saturday, but maybe I won't need to go the DIY route since I seem to be improving for the last few days. PT told me I should get an antibiotic to take before any mani/pedi.....has anyone else here been warned of that?
 
Never heard that about antibiotics before pedicure. I have always used them for dental work since my partial 6 years ago.
 
It's my ankles and hips that are feeling the effects of the extra walking.
 
I asked my OS if I could get a pedicure. He said yes but to make sure I knew the salon and how they clean. No antibiotic needed from him. However I do wear braces and I have to have an antibiotic when I get my braces off. My OS said it was the first time he had done knee replacement on someone with braces.... :scare:
 
I've gone to the same woman at the same salon for 10 years. I feel confident that it's clean and she is extra careful.

And yes, I have to take antibiotics before any dental visit (even cleaning) for 2 yrs!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hmmm, I still take antibiotics for dental visits, 5 years post THR. Now this article (thanks @Celle) really makes me wonder?

Thanks for all the replies on antibiotic usage! I've been going to the very same nail salon for..oh ....25 years. I chose it because it is immaculate with a great reputation, but I suppose there's always a chance of a nick and some teensy-tiny bacteria taking advantage of the opening. Pffft! I really don't care to be paranoid about this possibility and don't think I'll let it rule.
 
My surgeon recommends taking antibiotics for dental work. At first, I took them, then I read that report and decided I would stop taking antibiotics for routine dental work, and only take them for invasive procedures like root canals and extractions.
However, in the past year, with my TKRs now 5 and 2 years old, I have stopped taking antibiotics for any dental work. I've had 2 root canals and several simpler fillings since then, with no problems.

The bacteria in your mouth aren't the ones usually responsible for causing joint infections.
 
I've read with us taking so many antibiotics that the bugs are becoming immune to the antibiotics and becoming much stronger. That's scary. But, of course, I don't know if that's true of not. You can't believe everything you read on the internet!
 
I hardly ever take antibiotics so I figure twice a year for my cleanings is okay. I'm going to continue to do so since both my doctor and dentist have me do it.
 
My OS said it was the first time he had done knee replacement on someone with braces.... :scare:
@becticu ~ lol ~ my best friend just had her braces taken off a year ago at age 65. i bet you have a lovely smile when braces come off.:yes!: my hygienist, a very young lady told me i was lucky to have all my teeth!:bignono:
 
I also read the articles about not needing to take antibiotics before having dental cleanings. However, my Rheumatologist, Internist, and Dentist have all told me that because I have RA (an autoimmune disease ) AND take medications that suppress my immune system, I am more vulnerable to infections. Because of that factor, I am safer to continue to take prophylactic antibiotics when having dental or other invasive procedures...until they do a study centering on this category of joint replacement patient that proves that is is safe to stop using the antibiotics for routine stuff.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The first I ever heard about this was on this forum.
That said, the info booklet I got said we should let a dentist know that we've had major surgery when making an appointment.
Now I know why they wrote that.:doh:
 
because I have RA (an autoimmune disease ) AND take medications that suppress my immune system, I am more vulnerable to infections. Because of that factor, I am safer to continue to take prophylactic antibiotics when having dental or other invasive procedures.
Yes, it's quite correct that you are more vulnerable to common or garden variety infections but not peri-prosthetic infections. They are a totally different animal altogether as you can read about here Peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection. So your doctors' advice is okay for you generally but doesn't include PPIs.
 
Did you have back and hip pain before surgery because of your crooked leg?
 
@jboles not back but my opposite (right) hip was horrible. often worse than my knee!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last night, on my 6 week kneeversary, I found myself going up the stairs foot over foot! I didn't even notice until I was half way up. Funny how it just happens like that.

Going down won't be like that. It's been at least 3 years since I could go downstairs foot over foot. It's going to take some work but WOW will my "good" (not good at all) knee appreciate the break!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom