Revision TKR JennyLynne's "full" disclosure

We did think about getting the tub out and making it a shower only area when I first had trouble 4 years ago then due to all sorts of reasons we nixed the idea. Now it's a topic all over again.
 
@flyaway79, crutches ARE awful when non-weight bearing, but this is weight bearing so it's radically different. The extra crutch just lends a bit more stability to the OP side. My crutches also have better padded handles than my cane; much squishier and my hands prefer them.

I only tried to use my shower bench once and was so afraid of banging my knee on it I decided not to use it at all. It was a very crowded tub! I have good grab bars in the shower and a non-skid mat and that has worked well for me except on one occasion when I forgot the leg-lifter dog leash and my leg got stuck. Hubby came in handy that day.:SUNsmile:

I'm green with envy toward anyone that has a walk-in shower, lol!
 
If I were going for that remodel, I think I'd also put in a walk-in bath; heavenly!
 
@JennyLynne - I am so jealous of a walk in shower with a built in bench. If we ever remodel the bathroom, that will be a must have!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
We have a walk in 2 person shower. My side is equipped with a folding chair and table with all my stuff on it. I keep my crutches on the husbands side. I can turn on/off as many sprayers I want. I just use the handheld for now. I have laughed at my husband for 2 years for building such a large shower... I'm thankful for it now!!!
 
I just booked my first flight for post-TKR (on Delta of course, @flyaway79 !)

It was my last flight that made me realize I had to do this surgery. I was on a work trip, trying to get through the Amsterdam airport. I was in tears of pain and embarrassment as my colleagues watched me struggle. I knew I'd reached the end of the line with this knee.

The ticket I booked is for a family vacation to Cancun over thanksgiving. I'm sure I will have some work travel before, but it was nice to book this knowing how much better i will feel and how much easier it will be!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, what a great present to yourself and family! I'm excited for you and now thinking about doing something similar. Warm water and sand in November works for me.:happydance:
 
@JennyLynne Wow! Great! So you travel internationally too! What do you do? Getting though the airports is a real challenge!
 
I do financial reporting for a global manufacturing company. I go to Luxembourg a few times a year, where we have our European headquarters. Always through Amsterdam. That airport just destroys me, it's so big!

I usually have 12 hours in Amsterdam on the way home... 8pm to 8am. Looking forward to being able to enjoy that again!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes the AMS airport is a beast! I haven't been there in years. Luxembourg sounds great! I've never been there. My favorite is Germany. How long do you plan on taking off work?
 
Luxembourg is a neat little town. Quaint, good dining. Love it in December when all the Christmas markets are in full swing!

I've just started working from home a bit, sitting in on some conference calls to gear up for a project that is launching soon. I will go back to the office after July 4, about 7 weeks post-op. I'll start with short days and work my way back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That is awfully early to be going back to work. We normally suggest at least 12 weeks. Your energy drain will still be really bad.
 
Sistersinhim it's just not realistic for my job right now. However, I have the flexibility to work from home as needed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Working from home is radically different than going out the door each morning. I think you'll be able to handle it without a problem, especially with reduced hours. I worked from home for two years before I retired and loved it. Husband has been working from home for many years, in a similar field to yours. He travels 2-3x a year, but other than that, he's right here.

All this travel and work talk is almost making me wish I had a great job to return to.....almost, but not quite, lol. I am truly grateful that I was able to retire at 62. Color me lazy, though I did clock 40 years of nose to the grindstone.
 
You'll be needing to come home and rest those first couple of weeks, I'm sure. It's amazing your brain fog has lifted enough now for you to work. It seemed like mine lasted a couple of months.
 
I'm not worried, I did this with the PKR as well, but actually started working from home at 2 weeks and in the office at 5. So I pushed everything off two more weeks this time and will ramp up as I feel I can.

I worked from home for the entire second half of my pregnancy (on modified bedrest) and showed them I can do it. Since then, I've never had any pushback.

That being said... I wish I didn't have such a stressful job with long hours. But that's a general statement, regardless of what's going on at the moment!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're one tough lady! Maybe your age has something to do with it, after all, you're over 20 younger than I am! It still blows my mind that you can do all that!
 
Nothing better than those European counties during Christmas! We stay in Mainz in Germany and it's fabulous too!

Nice that you are able to work from home! I'm sure you will do fine. After all this isn't your first rodeo LOL.
 
Back
Top Bottom