Revision TKR JennyLynne's "full" disclosure

Getting socks on is harder than getting a pedicure for me at the moment!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One of the problems with having a pedicure is that you often have to sit with your knee bent for quite a while. That gets uncomfortable.
Also, make sure that the pedicurist knows you've recently had a knee replacement and takes special care not to cause any skin cuts.
 
Good for you @JennyLynne on the beautification hair day!

@flyaway, yeah, cold weather isn't exactly an inspiration toward getting the toes done!
 
Exactly Clle, which is why I know it's going to be quite a long wait for me; pffft! I've been practicing the sitting with leg bent but it's not exactly comfy yet.
 
Ah yes, I remember the shoes and socks days. It was one of those "accomplishments" when I could push my shoe on all by myself!
 
I got my toes in the sock then used my other toes to pull up the sock. It was a huge struggle. I'm glad I didn't have to do that too often since it was hot summer time!

Enjoy your girly day. There's nothing like it!
 
Milestone on my 4 week kneeversary.... I showered without help! I can't tell you how much I've hated needing DH's supervision. It just felt humiliating, even though I knew I shouldn't feel that way.

I've been trying to use my cane just a bit around the upstairs, which made it easy to handle the shower. May still want DH in the house for the first few times, but not in the room!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, :wowspring:

That's a huge milestone! My husband hovered the first couple of times and then I told him to get out, lol. He's put on notice when I go in there to be alert to screams, crashes or loud thumps. Other than that, he's to stay away; hah!
 
And yes, the cane or a crutch makes it MUCH easier. :egypdance:
 
On 2 crutches, I am golden. Go down to one crutch or a cane... slow and wobbly! Working on it in my bedroom, away from the legos and hot wheels that I'm sure to find in the rest of the house!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is very weird and wobbly at first with just one sided support. I prefer 2 crutches right now, but do use just one or just the cane in the kitchen or if going out on my back deck. It depends on how much walking I'll be doing, which, in general, isn't much.
 
OMG, I can just imagine the toys everywhere! My house is also a bit of a landmine because my 13 year-old terrier, who should be well beyond playing with toys....isn't! She likes things that roll and seems to *plant* them in the worst possible places. But, I'm used to it and where she leaves these things....eyes down all the time! Yesterday, she followed me into the bathroom (not unusual) and very carefully *planted* one of her toys directly underneath my walker. What a...witch, lol! I've taken all her toys away but 3 for now.
 
I never even though about using my crutches after my walker - I just went straight to my cane. Hmmmm... Maybe it's because after my last microfracture surgery I was on non-weight bearing crutches for over a month - during the month of December no less!! It was awful and I hated it.

I had no time to mentally prepare for this because the surgery was supposed to be in and out and back to work in a couple weeks. Instead I came out with a whole different surgery and was off work for months. I put those things deep in the basement and haven't seen them since!
 
Having been so knock-kneed, I'm trying to really focus on my gait. Two crutches helps with that. I'm too limpy still on a cane.

Pheebs, we had two dogs when I was on crutches (non-weight bearing) after I broke my foot. They were constantly underfoot!!!! Didn't want to leave my side... which was sweet. But dangerous!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
good progress JennyLynne ~ feels great to shower yourself, alone in the bathroom. funny when i was starting to shower by myself, i had my son staying with me for 3 days, and on this particular day, cleaning lady was here also. i told them to listen for me in case i needed help getting out of shower. well i finished and i'm calling "bobby, bobby", "peggy, peggy" :sos:as the vacuum was going out in the hallway. i sat there on the bath bench for around 7 to 10 minutes and no one came and i very easily got out myself lol. didn't need anyone around after that for showering. these little successes help to gain confidence.
 
I real milestone of mine was when I realized I had actually showered every single day for a week and all by myself!
 
The little successes inspire us to do more. About a week ago I decided to stand in the shower for the first time since surgery. I have a bath bench in the tub. My hair gets so much better a rinse from standing than from the hand held. So I stood and it wasn't too hard. Braced myself on the tiles a bit. My legs are pretty steady. Mr. Shoes comes in to help and sees me standing and exclaims, "What the h*** are you doing?" "Standing," says I. "My new knees can do that, you know!"

So now I stand in the shower. I use the bench to get in and out of the tub, though. But little successes keep us moving forward onto better things.
 
I'm really fortunate to have a shower that is walk-in, with a built in bench and hand held sprayer option. Probably my fav feature of our new home!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank walk-in shower will probably be my first big remodel to my home. It too difficult to get down in the tub to soak, so I might as well get rid of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom