Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR JennyLynne's "full" disclosure

Congrats on driving!! Isn't that such a great feeling? I have a meeting on Tuesday and am looking forward to getting behind the wheel again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, ok, so we won't be expecting you to move like Jagger next week. It's alright. Maybe the following week, eh? It's just that when you explained how to get in the car without leg-banging, I envisioned you somehow doing an Olympic style pole vault over the center console. While imagining this, I just knew I wasn't ready, not by a long shot, probably not ever, unless the car was on fire. Then, I noticed your age as compared to my vintage and thought, 'Oh, no wonder she can do that and I cannot," lol.
 
I put the seat back way down and sat partly on that until I could get my leg in. Then I could scoot down into the seat bottom OK. I did the same thing getting out. I had to do this only for a couple of weeks. Each week it got easier!
 
@JennyLynne ~ now i'm wishing i got the VW S.U.V. rather than the Golf Sportwagen, which we chose partly for the dog and mostly to be able to reach the bicycle racks on top. i'm only 5'2", so i have to sit closer to the pedals, which means having to bend my new knee. i just have to be patient. i've only driven it twice before the surgery.:driver:
 
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee so my hurdle was the height. I had to use a step stool to get into the passenger seat so I knew I couldn't drive until I could get into the driver seat without using a stool cause there would no one to put my step stool inside.

Now I lower the seat as far as it can go and can lift my leg enough to get it inside and then I pull myself in by the steering wheel. I learned the hard way the car must be off because I tried it once while the car was on and the steering wheel turned and I almost fell - ugh!
 
Flyaway, my husband drives a Grand Cherokee. It's been the bane of my existence for months! I can't even imagine trying to get in it now. The morning he was coming to take me home from the hospital, I texted him 100 times to remember to drive MY car!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Pheebs, watching me get in the car is the most ungraceful exercise imaginable!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Everyone in my family drives Ford pickup trucks including myself....and mine has bigger tires which means it's higher than most. That should be fun manuevering my way in that when I get ready to drive!
 
My husband's car is a Mustang so it was actually easier for me to use a stool to get up into my Jeep than into his.
 
I have a beautiful Lincoln sedan, but only use it for lengthy trips. We bought it just for that purpose 2 years ago because of all my ortho problems and the desire to see far-flung friends and family members. I don't bring it to store parking lots due to all of the door-ding possibilities (it's black) but it is the comfiest auto I've ever owned. I call it my geriatric-mobile, but I don't care, I'm all about the comfort. I feel like I'm in a yacht behind the wheel of that baby, lol. I sincerely doubt I'd be able to get in it right now anyway since I am struggling with the small SUV. Oh well, in time it'll all work out. I think of the small SUV as the dog-mobile; hah! It's old, seen better days and not especially comfortable, but it sure works well in the winter. Around here, that matters.
 
Took myself to my first "real" outpatient PT session this morning. So nice to be independent!

The session was good. It was challenging but pain free. The therapist never touched me except for massage. I set my limits. For example, she had me do a heel slide and hold it for 30 seconds, but only as far back as I wanted. Nothing else focused specifically on ROM. She didn't measure or mention degrees at all.

I loved the stim and ice! Always my fav part, haha!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The stim and ice were always my favorite too! I have a small stim machine and use it at home now too.
 
Great news @JennyLynne! It must've felt so good to drive there by yourself! I'm really glad it went so well, especially on a first visit. Now I have to make a list of what I want from PT, based on all of your experiences. Stim, ice, cold laser, massage and perhaps a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc? Ok, not that. Maybe they could throw in a pedicure in as well?
 
Ooooh I want a pedicure! I'm thinking another couple of weeks and I will be comfortable getting one??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Flyaway, I have a little stim machine from 2 yrs ago. It must be in a box we haven't yet unpacked from the move, because I haven't seen it.

May have to beg DH to help me dig it up!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, it's probably in the Great Void where all the missing socks end up after doing some laundry! I know I have a pair of sandals in there as well.
 
Yes! Have your hubby find it! I love using mine!

I actually didn't feel up to a pedicure until about 9 weeks. I thought about it many times before that. Once I did do it I really enjoyed it.
 
Oh no, then I have a long way to go! However, I suspect I will be following the same path.....slow healer.
 
I don't think I'll make it that long... I'm looking at maybe the 6 weeks mark.
I'm getting my hair cut and colored this coming weekend!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I should have gone sooner and I'm sure I could have but just kept putting it off. The weather wasn't really nice out yet so I ways always wearing socks. I love it now that my toes are done!
 
Back
Top Bottom