I got a handicap placard about 2 months before my surgery because I was really struggling with parking at work and errands. I got such dirty looks at the grocery store when I'd get out of the car! I sometimes grabbed my cane for effect.
And I will park in handicap outside Dairy Queen all summer, that's for sure!!!
I've had handicapped plates for over 20 years. About 15 years ago, I get out of my car with my cane and this young man with his about 6 year old son, commented loudly about how I shouldn't have parked there. I promptly pulled up my pant's legs and showed him my scars. He politely apologized. His young son learned 2 lessons that day!
I just drove for the first time!! My dad was visiting, and I took him back to the train station.
Stopped at Starbucks drivethru on the way home. Now I'm sitting in my driveway drinking it, because I realized that I have no free hand to carry the drink! I guess it's better than no Starbucks, right?
congratulations driving. doesn't it hurt your knee to bend it? i have to sit up fairly close to reach the pedals (station wagon), so haven't had the courage to even try driving. it's painful enough just being a passenger.
Brava @JennyLynne! Being a prisoner in the car you just drove for the first time with a Starbucks in hand sure beats not being able to drive and no java! Well done!
Liam, im 5'6" and drive a small SUV. I had to move the seat back a little bit from how I usually sit, but it wasn't an issue. I'm tall enough. Now, I wouldn't want to drive far or sit in traffic, but I was ok for tooling around my town.
I find getting downstairs, through and out of the house, and INTO the car more challenging than driving the car!
JennyLynne, I am 5'5" and also drive a small SUV most of the time. Even with the passenger seat pushed all the way back it's a bit of a challenge to get in there without leg-banging. Getting out of my house and into the car is nap-worthy, lol! Still, I'm looking forward to the day I can drive again.
Pheebs, put the seat all the way back and reclined as much as it goes in order to get in. I am almost sitting on the center console, then I can shift over to the right position.
Limber? Haha that's a good one! I still need a knee and two hips done! It's really upper body at that point I guess.
For what it's worth, I couldn't do it a week ago. That's for sure!
Jenny, I busted out laughing when I pictured you all of a sudden realizing that you can't carry a coffee and walk with crutches in each hand. I bet you laughed at yourself!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.