Guest viewing is limited

PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thing at PT today... I did short arc quads and it didn't hurt!! I couldn't lift high, but before my surgery I couldn't do it without searing pain. With all the discomfort from surgery, this is one of the first examples of a positive change!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay! Those quads are comin back! What does a short arc quad look like?
 
@KarriB put a bolster or foam roller under your knees and lift bottom half of leg. It isolates the quads and for some reason it used to really aggravate my knee cap. At least the second part seems to be history!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] JennyLynne- On the other side!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok! I know what those are, did them in rehab PT too. When I went home from the rehab/hospital they told me to continue doing them at home along with all the other stretches, but I didn't have a foam roller. So my brother-in-law emptied his screws and nails out of his old coffee cans, taped 2 of them together with electrical tape, then we wrapped a beach towel over it. It was just right the size and I'm holding onto it for my left leg.
 
@KarriB I like the resourcefulness!
For some reason, those caused intense pain for me, pre-op!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yet another exercise waiting on my sleeping quads! Frustrating. But I've found the bigger the bolster the better the chance I can do them.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
You're not kidding, @JennyLynne , they hurt! That was my least favorite exercise because of the knee bending
 
The Total Knee Guide recommended a 5 gallon bucket (like you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot) or an empty paint can (you can buy them new at Home Depot and probably Lowe's as well -- a guy at Sherwin Williams in San Antonio gave me one) to help with these.
 
@JennyLynne Ahh yes heard of 'tens' my physio mentioned getting the UK version of Muscle Stimulator machine called 'Compex'

I have looked into hiring a machine; £30 per week plus courier charges so decided to purchase one and then keep or sell on. That way I can use it as and when I need to.

Ever so slightly excited about this and my left leg is noticeably thinner than the right due Muscle Atrophy

How has work been for you this week?
 
@jacs65 work has been so much easier this week. I can move around much more easily, and sitting with my feet on the floor doesn't bother me anymore. Adding PT has tested my energy, but I feel really good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news re the quads! That exercise hurts me too - less since I've been working on my quad strength. And great to hear that work is getting easier. I'm really fed up of working from home (nearly 5 months now) - I miss the company - although an extra hour in bed in the morning is nice! I've been told that "changes" will be made when I'm ready to return so that I don't have to return to the building with 8 flights of stairs and no elevator -yay!
 
Jean, I bought a 5 gallon bucket on the advice of that book and was all ready, then the PT nixed it saying it was too easy. I have a bolster decorative pillow on my bed and she said that was the perfect thing to use, it was harder but once I could do it, it was fine. I found the short arc quads harder and more painful than the straight leg lifts. the PT said that it isolates a part of the quad that is esp. weak (injured?) from the surgery. she also suggested doing sets of straight leg raises with toes pointed out throughout the lift because that targets the same spot.
 
It's great to hear about the positive changes. Helps with the pre-op second guessing!
 
I really appreciate reading that others have had similar issues with exercises that I've had. The home therapist seemed surprised (my perception) I had issues with the quad focused exercises, which made me feel like it was my fault.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
I cannot do the short arc quad movement really, my heel probably moves an inch at the most off the floor. But on the upside I cycled 2 miles on my MTB around the block today...yeaay
 
@jacs65 you are killing it!! Question- do you walk with any bit of a limp at this point? Without a cane, I walk like Frankenstein!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bionic1 , I bought the bucket but have not used it. I used the paint can once. I'm not worried, my husband has a plethora of uses for both, so I'll release them to him after next year's RTKR. Grin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom