Guest viewing is limited

PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jacs65 this morning I could only do it with my knee slightly flexed too - perhaps I celebrated to quickly? It's progress at least.

Week #2 at work underway... I feel like less of a spectacle now. I'm old news!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is when you'll have to remember to protect yourself. Not only are you old news, but some may be impatient for you to participate more fully thinking, if not saying, "Isn't she over that yet?" I hope I'm wrong. Remain vigilant for yourself.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
This is the reason my partner is totally opposed to me returning to work and @PolarBear60 that's a good point you make. Those that have absolutely no idea of what we have been through may indeed be a little impatient.

Take care at work, put yourself first always.
 
I feel pretty fortunate that everyone has been supportive. During the winter (my "busy season"), I put in 60+ hours a week, rarely even taking a weekend day off. So, I've banked a lot of goodwill!

Going to my PT eval on Wednesday, then will start 6 weeks of outpatient PT. that is going to be an exercise in energy allocation! I like to go at 7am, so I use my energy for PT first, before work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PT was one reason I went back part time. I scheduled them in the afternoon 3x a week because I needed to be at school in the am to teach reading. Working and PT was a challenge for me.
 
I agree @KarriB! That's why I prefer to go before work, so I don't have to "save" energy for PT.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne
You've gone back to work very early. We usually recommend that people take about 12 weeks off and then start part time initially. Of course, going back sooner is an economic necessity for many people, though.

Going back so soon has got to be tough. You'll still have that energy drain and your knee will still needs lots of TLC - or Rest, Ice and Elevation. On days when you go to work, try not to do anything else - no housework, no PT. Just working (and getting to and from work) is enough exercise for your knee.

If you go to PT before work, make sure that you only do a minimum of exercise there, and try to leave work early on those days.
 
Thanks for the reminder @Celle. I certainly don't want to mislead anyone as to what they should be attempting or planning in their own recovery.

For me, circumstances at work changed dramatically out of my favor for taking an extended leave. I had to choose whether to postpone my surgery or make it work now, somehow. Not ideal but it is what it is. I also have a much easier situation than most - I can stay put as much as I need, and usually leave when I feel I need to. Again, this isn't ideal but I'm making it work.

While I am going to my office daily, I am not running errands, shopping, housework, etc. my energy is focused on work and at home with my family. That's the balance I have to focus on. And even that is far from easy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne don't worry - you are not misleading me..... I know this is going to be a long journey but when you are responsible for reporting the financial status of a company - they don't want you totally MIA very long. I, too, have an easier situation than many and can come and go as needed.... I am sure it will not be easy but I will rest as much as I can. @Celle Twelve weeks would be fabulous but it would be a huge hardship for the company I work for. I would be jeopardizing my reputation by being gone for that long. However, if there were extenuating circumstances - with a problem from the surgery, that would be different. But if the surgery goes well and I rest, ice, elevate, I am hoping to be logged in via my laptop - at least part time - by the second week. I do not plan to go back into the office until 6 to 8 weeks - and then prob a few days a week for a couple days in the office and a few at home and then back fulltime in the office by 12 weeks.
 
First outpatient PT today. Glad I am able to return to the therapist I saw last year, because it made me comfortable out of the gate. Measured 2 extension but easily to 0 with a bit of pressure. 100 flexion with no pain, and he didn't even try to push it. He said that was just fine for 5 weeks. Did some gentle exercises, and a lovely massage on the scar. Then ice and stim. Felt nice and loose when I left.

Plan is 3x week for 6 weeks. I'm ready for it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Outpatients appt sounded as though it went really well. Am I missing something....what is stim?
 
@jacs65 I was referring to electrical stimulation which causes the muscles to contract. Some people on this site have their own machines ("tens") and to it at home. I've only done this at PT. It feels a little odd but I like it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom