Guest viewing is limited

PKR JennyLynne- On the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JennyLynne That happened to me on Saturday, found myself unable to walk and swelling and stiffness from no where. I think it was my knee telling me I had done way too much and go rest up. Which I did for the whole of the next day.

Yes my quads are pretty pathetic right now, I will be looking forward to seeing the physio tomorrow to get some kind of gauge on where I'm at.
 
The cane should go on the opposite side. So RTKR, cane is in the left hand. I've been using it in my left hand that it feels odd to hold it in my right hand for soreness in my left leg. Not sure if it's the same with a crutch...
 
It's the same @KarriB. But if one works for you and the other doesn't, go with what works! I've been getting around easily today on one crutch, on my surgical side. Can't do it the other side. Weird?!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My left/natural leg is weaker, but try as I might, I can't seem to use the cane with my right hand. Using stairs the cane should be on the bad side. I can do it on the stairs, but that's it. I'm off to bed, just three more days till school's out.
But keep working on those straight leg lifts and quad squeezes. You'll build those quads up in no time. Mine were very weak, but I worked them so much they were raised, like little muscles! My sister was convinced that was the infection. Nope, just my huge quads!
 
Still can't do straight leg lifts, at 3 weeks. It's my nemesis!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just keep working at it. @Celle is right, they'll come. Sometimes I do them even now, because it feels like I'm strengthening my core as well as my quads.
 
We need tension for leg lifts - wondered if you flex your foot, tighten the quads, press down to straighten and then do your leg lift? Wondering if any of you are anywhere near driving yet - have you been given any timescales?
 
I try in PT, he has me hook my big toe over his finger for some help and I can lift a little.

@Hopper I was cleared to drive at 2 weeks, if I was off pain killers. OS said whenever I was ready. I haven't yet, because yesterday was my first day with no narcotics, but plan to this week. Since it's my left leg, the challenge is getting in and out of cars, but not the driving part. Still pretty ungraceful on the entrance/exit, ha!

Last night was NOT a good night for sleep. I struggled to keep my eyes open all afternoon, yet was up most of the night. Not for pain or anything. Just.... Awake!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yuck for being awake. I actually slept decent until about 4 a.m. then that was it. @Hopper , I was cleared at about two weeks too and began driving short distances shortly after. I drive myself everywhere now!
 
@Kansas Teacher I was awake from 4am too, planning on an afternoon nap.

Asked my friend who is a physio (handy) when I could drive and she told me for insurance purposes not until 6 weeks at least. But she gave me the go ahead for some stationary bike work, probably no full revolutions yet but will mix up the exercises a bit.

@JennyLynne Cannot do any straight leg lifts, but can lift leg a little if knee slightly flexed.

Patience is the key......
 
@jacs65 that makes me feel better, because you are doing so well with getting around, etc. I can lift it bent as well, but straight.... I concentrate so hard, I see the muscles twitching... and nada. It's like the leg doesn't hear me. PT today... we will see if any progress!

I slept from midnight to.... wait for it... 4am! What is it with 4am???!! Even in all our different time zones, that is clearly the witching hour!!
 
Yup. 4 am. But I made it to 5:30 today. At least I can get back to sleep.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Ok @PolarBear60 , @JennyLynne , @jacs65 , maybe if we all wake up at 4 a.m. tomorrow morning we need to get on the social forum and chat or something although, it might be kind of hard for @jacs65 since she's in a waaay different time zone! I keep thinking that one of these nights, I might make it until 5 or something but no such luck yet.
 
OMG add me to the 4am club. I was really achy during the night! I think I overdid some extension exercises in the evening and neglected to ice the back if my knee enough afterwards.
 
Just had my last home PT session. I am excited and sad at once - I really liked it!! But, I am going to my son's last day of school party on Friday (I hope). And next week... going to start getting back to the office, slowly, as best I can handle. I know that will take all of my energy. I will start outpatient PT once I feel I can handle that and work. Hope not to take more than a 2 week pause in PT.
 
Congratulations, @JennyLynne ! That is so exciting to be moving on. I'm glad your work is going to be able to let you ease back into it as you are able. I can't imagine jumping right back into full time after all of this.

Tomorrow is supposed to be my last day of outpatient PT too unless Tom decides I need more. But we don't have anymore scheduled and I think tomorrow is it. Life is going on as it should be.

Roxie
 
Knee ballooned up again last night but went back down overnight. I was more active yesterday, but nothing crazy.

Swapped out one of the Tylenol XS last night for a Tylenol PM. Still woke up around 4am (what is it about that time??) but the big difference is that I fell asleep so much easier and earlier! Going to try this recipe again tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne @Kansas Teacher @tigz @PolarBear60 Well yet again, 4.00am this morning I was wide awake but (gloating moment on its way) I did get a full 5 hours sleep (trumpets sounding) I woke momentarily at 12.30am, considered taking painkillers but fell asleep thinking about it.
I got up for several hours, pottering about and seeing other half off to work, had a long soak in the bath, got back into bed and bagged another hour and half sleep....happy days.
I feel so much better for it, as yesterday was a particularly bad day, not so much knee pain, but lower back and hamstring discomfort...constant nagging variety.
All sound as though you are doing really well with PT, we don't get that here but nice that a physio friend popped to see me yesterday and gave some useful pointers and told me I was doing well.

Q: It's sunny here in Berkshire and I want to read my book a little in the sunshine, do I cover scar or just suncream?
 
Sorry if the party was on for last night, I was busy sleeping! Yay!

That's a good question about the sun screen on the scar. Awaiting the answer.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom