TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Jenn, I'm so glad you are doing better. I kind of feel like we are all in this together :).

As for the family part, I can completely relate. My kids are older than yours but two of my daughters (aged 16 and 22) got in an argument over me last night. One was pushing me (in her teacher voice) and the other was feeling protective of me, and I just felt bad the two were arguing. I think it's hard for our kids not to see mom in her normal role and not being so independent. Hang in there. We all will get through this!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I easily went 5 hrs between percoset doses all day today. But just woke up hurting at 3.5 hrs. Boo. I wonder why nighttime would be harder? The DVT pumpers? Not moving the leg? So I'm up, reading BS, waiting out the next 15 mins.
 
Gosh I hated those dvt pumpers, especially when my knee was hurting, the vibration... only used them in hospital but second night in, I was yelling at my hubby to get them off now! Was all too much.

Still too early to be dropping meds down, even if you feel you don't need the pain relief still take it.

Night time is commonly worse as you up on the leg more during the day and you're trying to get into a comfortable position to rest. Those few few weeks I was only sleeping 3hrs a night that was due to being uncomfortable, pain, overtired etc

Gosh 15mins I would of been naughty and just took the meds.

Hope you get back to sleep x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
For some reason, night time is always more painful. If you have been too active during the day, it's going to show up at night when you're trying so hard to relax the knee. It is really aggravating. If you limit your activities during the the and ice/elevate then your nights should be better. I found I could do just one small extra thing a day after a few weeks. Then I would rest the next day. I always needed a day off in between extra 'work' days. After the first 6 weeks or so it was much better and I slowly increased my small extra activities.
 
I think nighttime is hardest for most of us. I agree that it is a combination of your knee getting tired from working during the day and trying to get comfortable while laying down. When I woke up at night, the quickest way to help the pain seemed to just elevate and ice. I usually would fall back asleep like that on the recliner. If I woke up again, I would go back to bed, otherwise, I would spend the rest of the night there. I can say that nighttime will get better. I sleep most of the night now and it just seemed to evolve on its own.
 
I agree with everyone above that night time is always worse. I'm with you Jenn as far as no trouble going long between pain pills in the day but night is a different story. I also wake up super super stiff and sore.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Got a refill for my percoset to last me the weekend. Had PT today. I'm exhausted and grumpy. Over this recovery.

Next week, there's three days that my dear husband has to leave early and be out late, so I'll be on my own getting kids out the door to school and dealing with dinner tu-th. Hard to say now how much help I'll need. But I'm dreading it as it's been awesome having him here.
 
If you're by yourself and have to get dinner together try to do it while the kids are at school and try to rest between chores. Put a casserole together so you aren't standing too long and may last a bit longer. Then when the kids come home from school you can just throw it in the oven. Of course there's always pizza delivery...:thumb:
 
The kids would probably love the pizza and it would be easier on you! Good idea, KarriB.
 
Oh yeah, I'm totally doing delivery next week. No shame in that game!
 
Another day of discomfort, food aversions, sitting in my boring recliner, choking down meds and feeling useless. Day 10.
 
I promise it gets better Jenn!! Xx

Slow cooker is my go to. Throw everything in and 6-8 hrs it's ready and easy clean up too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As long as I was on prescription pain meds, I had no appetite. I kept protein drinks around all the time to sip on and ate mixed nuts. Protein is so important during this recovery to help in the healing. Try to eat or drink all the protein you can.
 
I got optimistic and bought tickets to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with the family next Sunday. It's at movie tavern, so we'll be in the big recliners. I'll bring my ice packs and a pillow and hope for the best.

It sounds silly, but my husband was really bummed that my surgery would interfere with us seeing this movie opening weekend, since we're total Marvel Geeks. I felt like if I could, I'd try my best to make it happen for him. Since he's been so sweet and helpful since my surgery.

My first non medical appt/PT activity since the big day. :dancy:
 
Good for you! It sounds like you will be prepared. One other thing, you may want to sit in an isle seat in case you need to get up and move around a little.
 
I've read of quite a few TKRs doing movies in the reclining seat, ice packs in tow. It'll give you something to look forward to and you'll feel a bit of normalcy.

The first meal I cooked at 3-4 weeks was in a crock pot, I threw some stuffing, chicken, soup and sour cream in a crock pot and had dinner 3 hours later. Spend you're recliner time looking for super easy crock pot recipes to add to the hundreds I'm sure you have.
 
So what's the best way to wean from the narcotics? Stretch it out from 4 to 5 or 6 hours? Or replace one of the 4 hr doses with straight Tylenol?

I'm taking 5/325 percosets, 1.5 pills every 4-5 hrs right now. I'm not ready to wean today, but I'm feeling much improved over this weekend and maybe woudl like to get back to driving by next weekend, if at all possible.
 
the best way to wean off narcotics is to wait until you find you are forgetting to take doses on time and yet are not noticing increased pain. Then, you can start spacing out the doses a bit further, or reducing the dose you take. Don't try to wean off too quickly. The process should take a couple of weeks, at least.
 
Thanks for the weaning info.

Another question - the area outside my bandage, where the knee is the warmest, is starting to get dry and scaly. Is it ok to use lotion?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom