TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Jennszoo

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Surgery went well. Home already. Pain is about a 3-4. But nerve blocks are still in. I'm worried about when they wear off.

Nurses at surgery center would only put a rolled sheet under my ankle. I want more support. They scared my husband into thinking I can't have pillows under.

I'm going to try to upload a pic and can y'all let me know if this looks right or do I need to straighten it more?

Attachments

• IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 895
Congratulations on reaching the other side and getting home! I tried the recliner but couldn't get my knee elevated above my heart or toes higher than nose which resulted in a lot of swelling. After moving to the couch with pillows like you are showing, my swelling improved tremendously! Keep doing the quad tightening to help straighten the knee but not to excess. Best of luck!

I moved to the futon with my mountain of pillows. I'm just not sure if I'm using a bad bend that they tied to warm me about or good elevation. Seriously, she wouldn't prop me up at all in post-op. Just a little rolled sheet under my ankle. Almost like an extension extercise. Already.

Got up to potty and my tummy revolted. Like a giant gas bubble. I am sending the hubs to get some gas X when he picks up my antibiotics. I didn't think I'd need that bc they didn't ooerate on my abdominal cavity.

They did the same thing with me concerning elevation. I don't understand how they think the swelling would all go down from a maneuver that actually increased my pain.

Your elevation is perfect right now for your recovery!

Thank you! Just ate a small serving of fried rice, my family ordered chinese delivery. It was so good. I hope I don't regret eating so much food. lol.

I think the 3 pillows are perfect for elevation. I have been elevating on my recliner pushed all the way back with 3 pillows (2 flat across the foot of recliner and then one perpendicular to them and on top so it supports my thigh) since day 3 (when I had the sense to re-read the directions) and it works really well for me. My toes are definitely higher than my nose :) My nurses were very nice, but none of them had obviously had a TKR and didn't understand. You are doing fine and if you read (and re-read) the mantras, you will have a good recovery.

You made it to the other side! Congrats!
Small meals, lots of veggies, fruit & lean protein will help the tummy. Meds and anesthesia tend to slow your GI way down! Stay hydrated with water...more the merrier.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hope your futon is working well for you. Elevation, ice, and pain control the most important the first week! Enjoy your food! My taste buds have been off Keller so not much is tasting very good...just watch your salt with the fried rice! :smile2:

Back in the recliner. Man, I'm so thirsty. But I don't want to be peeing so often. Such a dilemma.

Pillows and elevation look good. Water will help with your bowels too, so if you're thirsty go for it.

Lots of pain along my outer thigh. Normal, right? Feels like IT band.

There will be a lot of different pain for a while, just be sure to set an alarm for your meds during the night. You don't want to wake up in pain because it'll take a while to get it under control again.

Yup, hubs just got me moved to the futon. Leg is propped, ice machine is on, DVT cuffs are pumping. Meds on board and alarm is set for 3:30am meds. So far, so good. I'm dreading tomorrow when the block wears off.

Lots of peeing is good. That trip to the bathroom is your PT. My OS wanted 4 23oz water bottles drank every day! Glad your surgery is over. Stay ahead of the pain. Re read the mantras. The first 10-14 days are the hardest. Don't over do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Made it through my first night. I even pulled the leg over onto a pillow and kinda slept on my side. Only woke when the hubs woke me for meds & potty trip. Kept the DVT compressors on all night and slept through their noise. Yay, meds!

Nerve block is slowly wearing off from the top down. My thigh is angry. Outer thigh area down to the outer knee area. I'm just going to assume it's all normal. My husband is worried and trying to convince me I have a blood clot in my thigh. My gut just says it's sore from the trauma during surgery.

I never expected the thigh pain to be so bad. I'm icing the knee with my polar cube and have a separate ice pack on the thigh. Should I maybe use heat on the thigh bc the pain is presumably from trauma due to the tourniquet?

The thigh pain may be due to the tourniquet used during surgery. It should lessen over the next few days.

Yeah. I think he used a vice clamp as a tourniquet bc OMG. It hurts.

Welcome to recovery, @Jennszoo

You need to get on top of that pain, and keep taking your medications on a regular schedule. If you find they meds aren't controlling your pain, even when you are taking them on schedule, do phone and ask for something different.

Here
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
is your post-op reading:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom