Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

If I'm still, on my recliner with ice & elevation, I'm good. But any mvmt is painful. Does that mean I should up my OXY?

I put an ice pack behind my knee - a soft, pliable one - and my husband is freaking out because "they said no pressure behind your knee". And he insists that the pillows and the soft ice pack are providing pressure. But it feels good, dangit!
 
1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. I've been doing 1 every 4 hours.
 
That's the Percocet. I also have been taking gabapentin 3x/day.
 
5-325

I'm thinking I can add Tylenol in between doses, maybe? Or go up to 1.5 pills at 4 hrs.
 
I left a message for the nurse bc my current meds aren't touching the thigh pain. And I've almost passed out twice in the bathroom from it. Upping to 2 percoset this am. And I'm not sure how I can get in the car and go to PT with this much pain in my thigh.
 
Don't go. Call and cancel then call Dr until you get a result.
 
Spoke to the nurse. She insisted I not skip PT. I told her the 2 percoset helped relieve the pain when I'm not moving, but moving is still super painful. She offered an appt with the PA. So I said I could barely handle one trip out of the house in this pain and she proposes 2. Should I see the PA about getting more meds? Skip him and see the PT bc maybe they have some techniques to help with the pain?

Ultimately, what is adequate pain control? Is it just feeling ok when I'm rest/ice/elevating? What level pain should I be at moving around?

She's all like...keep up your exercises. Are you kidding me? A single quad tightening is too much. (But I am doing heel pumps).
 
In my experience feeling ok when resting/elevating was the only time in the first few weeks I was not in pain. Getting up, walking was painful and made my leg feel tight as well. Many medical professionals in the US will tell you to never skip PT, but in the first week or two stretches, heels slides, quad tightening, leg lifts was all I did and I was in a hospital rehab unit with PT twice a day. They also had me do something like a windshield whipper with my leg which made moving in bed easier.
If you don't feel you can handle leaving the house don't go to PT, just see the PA if your pain is out of control.
 
Big day. Went to see PA who prescribed another pain med to cover this thigh pain. It's been so intense and barely getting touched by the percoset. He also assured me that's its not a clot or anything. That the OS just had to really mess with the quad to realign my patella. My PT moved up my appt so I could go straight there. She was great. Very gentle. Measured my rom and left everything in my control how far I went, or how much I did. Ended with e-stim and ice on the angry quad and I left there feeling tired but good. Whew. Now just to rest for the weekend.
 
my husband is flipping out because "they said no pressure behind your knee". And he insists that the pillows and the soft ice pack are providing pressure. But it feels good, dang it!
Problem is that it's not natural for us to have our legs/knee totally straight. Even in a healthy knee it will cause pain. And since pain causes swelling, then it's obvious that having it straight is bad for you. Check out this article Elevation is the key to controlling pain and swelling to see what I am talking about.
Spoke to the nurse. She insisted I not skip PT
Well she would, wouldn't she? But we know different and our way is best! Besides which, because this nurse says 'jump' doesn't mean you have to. Read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

As for your medication, I cannot make head nor tail of all those little posts. Can you give me, in one concise post, your medications including how much you take in mgs and how often you take them.
 
I am now taking 2 5/325 percoset tablets every 4 hours. I started with 1 and it wasn't working and I was in so much pain this am.

I also have gabapentin 100mg 3x/day.

325 aspirin 2x/day.

And my hubs just picked up a slow release morphine 15mg. Every 12 hours. I just took my 2 percoset at 8, so I'm not sure how to intertwine the new med into the schedule.
 
I wasn't prepared at all for the thigh pain from the tourniquet. It didn't even occur to me that they would use it. How silly of me! Well, it hurt for me for a long time and I got so that I massaged it often and tried to get the pain to be less. One day I asked the in home pt about it and she recommended that I take a rolling pin to my leg. With all the fat on my thigh I wouldn't think I'd have that much pain. I remember it taking a lot longer than I liked for it going away.
I'm praying that you find some relief from your pain and the meds start to work in tandem soon.
 
Some people have more tourniquet pain and bruising than others. My dad was a virtual rainbow of colors! I had no bruising at all! I think it was the difference in surgeons and actual surgery.
 
I hope the new pain medication helps. That tourniquet pain can be awful. Feels like a heart attack in your leg doesn't it?
 
When I was in so much pain from my knee replacement I thought there was something wrong with me as I saw others that did not have so much pain. In this group you see it is very normal and I just wanted to let you know it does go away!!! I am 10 weeks now and I now have no surgery pain. I have a lot less pain than what I had from my arthritis in my knee. Hang in there and hope the new medication works. Keep after your doctor to help you. I went from zero meds to what I felt was major meds after surgery. But now finally at 10 weeks I am back to no meds once again- Well not true - I keep 1 pill in my purse in case I overdo it. Take them now while you need them and do not feel anything but better! They are there to help you. hugs
 
Slept relatively good last night. Even got myself up and resettled on the pillows myself and let the hubs sleep for one wake up. I think the morphine + 1-2 OXY is the ticket. I went down to 1 OXY overnight and woke up better than yesterday. Took 1.5 at 8am. Feeling ok just sitting here.

Tried some gentle heel slides. Yeah. That rom went backwards. I was like 70 at the PT. Much tighter today. But I'm telling myself not to stress that. It's totally the swelling.

Today's big adventure will be attempting the 16 stairs in my house to shower. But not yet. Lol.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom