Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jennszoo Staged TKR, working on running again

Done. Into the theater at 7:30, awake by 9:30 and heading home just after 11. Crazy. But OS said this knee was definitely less complicated, so maybe I'll have a better recovery without so much quad pain/weakness. Maybe?!? Lol

The nerve block is not working nearly as wll this time. Last time I wasn't in too much pain after surgery and the next day. But I woke up in a lot of pain. She got it under control, but man, I kept asking for a pillow under my leg vs the damn rolled towel. She refused. Motivation to get home, I guess. I've also had way more nausea than I did last time. Last time, I didn't get nauseous til the Patch came off.

Got home and settled into my futon downstairs, took a zofran and basically crashed immediately. Hubs woke me at 1:30 for pain meds and lunch and I'm much more clear headed and no nausea. Yay. But realized my ice machine wasn't circulating the whole time. While I was napping my wedge arrived from Amazon. So now I'm propped properly, ice machine is circulating and I'm on the road to recovery!

Mods, can you change my title to "Two new knees, 10 weeks apart". Thanks.
 
congratulations ~ a fresh start with 2 new knees. wowza, hard to believe you're home on the same day. wishing you as good a recovery or better than your first one. you are one tough lady!:hog:
 
Wow, you must be "superwoman" in disguise! I can't believe you are already home. You are amazing! Hope you have a restful night.
 
Praise God, you made it through and are back home already! You know what to do and what not to do! You've got this and we are hear to listen and let you know we care!
 
Glad to hear you're home and sleeping. We'll change that thread title for you.
 
Welcome to recovery again, Jenn. I'm glad it went well.

I'll give you the recovery reading again, for reference:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Great report! Glad you are home and comfy. Let the healing begin!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to hear your report. Rest easy and make sure those pain med alarms are set!!! No accidently skipping.
 
Hurray! I'm so glad to hear you're home, in your nest, with your Lounge Doctor, the ice machine, and beginning to heal already! Sending you best wishes for a less complicated recovery!:flwrysmile:
 
Glad to hear surgery is over and went well. Best wishes for a less complicated recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The good news is that the 2 percoset are strong enough to allow me to doze through kid noise. I was worried about my ability to nap, since the kids were still in school for a month after my first surgery.
 
So happy that it's over for you, DONE and no more dread! Also great that he said this one was less complicated, how wonderful! You know what to do, let the healing begin.
 
Am amazed how soon they sent you home, but I guess that's how it's done in some places.
Am also guessing you much prefer that.
All the best wishes to you for a good recovery. You are a brave woman !
Rest up now. Will be thinking about you.
 
Great news Jenn! Now time to let the healing begin. Enjoy the naps! You are a Rock Star!
 
Great news that the surgery went well and you are home! I will be sending positive thoughts your way that you have a great recovery with this knee!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah, today was extra quick. But I guess she got my pain under control, I walked, I peed, I did the few steps they had. And they knew I knew the routine. So she was like, "that's all I got..." I do prefer being home to being In a Hosp. Controlling my own food, meds, activity, etc. I do wish I could sneak off to a rehab for 2 hrs at a time, to take a quiet nap, though!
 
Home is best, with the people you love, and control over your routines and meals.
I don't know how you get to sleep through the children's noise, though. Ear plugs, maybe?
 
Yay! I'm so glad it's over and you are home! Happy Healing (I know better than to say "happy" but you know the drills and you've got this! Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
There's a definite comfort in havng been through this and knowing what's normal. Quad pain - yup. Pain at the top outer edge of my calf - yup. Burning pain on top of my incision - yup. Aching behind the knee - yup.

Trying 1.5 percoset today bc 2 was a bit strong - knocked me out and upset my reflux.

So far the hardest thing has been getting up from a seated position bc I had been relying on my good leg to do the work. Now I don't have a good leg. The quad on lefty is still pretty weak, so it's a struggle and it hurts. This is mainly from the futon and my recliner. I think once I'm back in my own bed, it's tall enough to be easier.
 
Back
Top Bottom