Guest viewing is limited

TKR jeffm1955's recovery

I doubt you damaged the implant,Jeff. More likely the pain is irritated soft tissue that hasn't fully healed yet. I did that a couple of times and a few days of icing , elevation and less activity solved the problem. I had to learn that with this surgery, it can hurt a lot worse a few hours after overdoing than it hurts at the time. Sounds like you are doing well, just need to learn your limits. Which I found very hard with this, plus your limits are constantly changing.
 
It takes a lot to damage the prosthesis, but the soft tissue of the knee joint is inflamed (still, albeit invisibly) and so it can be aggravated and swell. Basically, the knee's way of letting you know it didn't appreciate something you did.

You're doing great from what I've read!
 
Thank you SusieShoes an Jajakio for the reassurense. It is beginning to feel a little better.I see my doctor next Friday (Oct.13) I'll bring it up to him too.Thanks again.
 
Thank you SusieShoes an Jajakio for the reassurense. It is beginning to feel a little better.I see my doctor next Friday (Oct.13) I'll bring it up to him too.Thanks again.
Well,I went to see my surgeon today for my six week check up. He liked my ROM and everything. I walk pretty close to normal,and go up stairs foot over foot.He explained the clicking and clunking and said that would all improve with time,and gave me a release date for Nov.13 (4 more weeks). The recumbant bike has really helped my ROM,and quickly. I want to take long walks while the weather is warm to help prepare me for work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
that's great your surgeon was pleased with your recovery progress. you are doing excellent for 6 weeks post op.
 
Sounds like you're doing great! Enjoy the walks, just keep listening to the knee. It will tell you what you're ready for. :walking:
 
When is a good time to start doing some light weight leg extension at the gym? i want to prepare my knee for going back to work in four weeks.Or maybe the eliptical.I already do the recumbant bike 10 minutes 3 or 4 days a week, and I'm planning longer walks everyday.
 
I was started on light weights on leg raises in P T, 2 pounds or so, by 4 weeks and it was okay for me and i increased from there but use your own body as a guide. Try a few extensions with light weights and see how you feel, not only at the time but also a few hours later or the next day. The general view on here is no weights until much later but your knee will tell you if it's a good idea or not. Maybe there is no one ideal time for everyone. I think I was quicker than many people at least with that, but behind on other areas like being able to sleep on my side or even to get a decent nights sleep. We all have our own unique recovery story and it isn't always useful to compare.

My theory is forget about what week it is or what's is the normal time to do something. Push yourself to the point of discomfort or moderate tiredness and keep up that level of activity daily until it is no longer uncomfortable, then increase activity until it is uncomfortable again. I'm not talking about real pain, just pushing limits a tiny bit. That includes how you feel afterwards. If you are more swollen and aching more than usual that night, maybe it was too much.
 
Here on BoneSmart, we recommend not using weights at all until at least 3-4 months after surgery.
 
Here on BoneSmart, we recommend not using weights at all until at least 3-4 months after surgery.
What are the long term possibilitiesdown the road ( say a year) as far as activities like running,hiking,scuba,etc. Not contact sports but more physical activities.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
What are the long term possibilitiesdown the road ( say a year) as far as activities like running,hiking,scuba,etc. Not contact sports but more physical activities.
I'd say they're pretty good. Hiking and scuba are likely to be fine. Running is not so wise, because it can lead to wearing out the spacer prematurely.

However, have a look at some of these stories and see what is possible:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries
 
My sister had her knee replacement a couple of years before I did and she scuba dives quite a bit. They are going diving in Aruba for the third time this January. She says absolutely no problem with the knee when it comes to diving. She hikes and bikes but does not run.
 
I'd say they're pretty good. Hiking and scuba are likely to be fine. Running is not so wise, because it can lead to wearing out the spacer prematurely.

However, have a look at some of these stories and see what is possible:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries
I don't mean run in a marathon or anything like that. But maybe run across the cross walk when it's changing,or run away from the girls when they chase me. Just short little things like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
You certainly should be able to run. I jogged across the street in downtown Philadelphia the other day. I plan to run for a plane if I have to to make it onboard. I think the prosthesis, and your knee, can run... but the wisdom is that you shouldn’t overdo it by running excessively, say in marathons or Iron Man triathlons like my son (no implants) does every other week, it seems. :nah: But members play soccer, run the bases in softball, and other running type things.

Give your soft tissues time to heal and build back up to strength and flexibility, a few more months, and then work in a little running if you want to test it out. If the girls don’t catch you before then! :heehee:
 
You certainly should be able to run. I jogged across the street in downtown Philadelphia the other day. I plan to run for a plane if I have to to make it onboard. I think the prosthesis, and your knee, can run... but the wisdom is that you shouldn’t overdo it by running excessively, say in marathons or Iron Man triathlons like my son (no implants) does every other week, it seems. :nah: But members play soccer, run the bases in softball, and other running type things.

Give your soft tissues time to heal and build back up to strength and flexibility, a few more months, and then work in a little running if you want to test it out. If the girls don’t catch you before then! :heehee:
I was just wondering at how you may look at me doing the elliptical 30 minutes a day and 5 days a week at about 18 weeks post op. Take August 31,2017.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Have you tried the elliptical? If you have and the movement doesn’t cause you any problems, then you can work up to whatever level your knees will accept. If at any time the exercise causes swelling and/or pain to increase, you can cut back on time or frequency for a few weeks and then try again. I personally love the elliptical machine and haven’t had problems with it, but I first restarted with it at six months. I figure if you can do it, do it!
 
Have you tried the elliptical? If you have and the movement doesn’t cause you any problems, then you can work up to whatever level your knees will accept. If at any time the exercise causes swelling and/or pain to increase, you can cut back on time or frequency for a few weeks and then try again. I personally love the elliptical machine and haven’t had problems with it, but I first restarted with it at six months. I figure if you can do it, do it!
I still have swelling everyday just from work and I have worked 50 hours or more a week since I went back to work after 10 weeks. But it all goes down after iceing at night. I'm just afraid I'll wear it out. But I'm 63,so it will probably out live me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Your implant? My OS said mine would last 30 years or more, which should be longer than the rest of me, though one never knows. At any rate, you won’t wear out your implant with any usual activity, like walking, work (unless lots of squatting and lifting) or gym exercises. Running marathons might be problematic.

Your swelling isn’t from the implant anyway. It’s from the surrounding soft tissue that’s still healing. With all the work you’re doing, your knee is getting enough activity (too much even, given the nightly swelling). You should probably wait a little longer before putting your knee through a daily elliptical program. Once your swelling goes away, add in the extra exercise if your knee tolerates it.
 
Your implant? My OS said mine would last 30 years or more, which should be longer than the rest of me, though one never knows. At any rate, you won’t wear out your implant with any usual activity, like walking, work (unless lots of squatting and lifting) or gym exercises. Running marathons might be problematic.

Your swelling isn’t from the implant anyway. It’s from the surrounding soft tissue that’s still healing. With all the work you’re doing, your knee is getting enough activity (too much even, given the nightly swelling). You should probably wait a little longer before putting your knee through a daily elliptical program. Once your swelling goes away, add in the extra exercise if your knee tolerates it.
The hasn't been any additional swell g from using the elliptical. And in the last month or so their has been no swelling after nightly icing. Up to that point I still had some swelling in the morning even after icing all night. So their is ijmprovement.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Your implant? My OS said mine would last 30 years or more, which should be longer than the rest of me, though one never knows. At any rate, you won’t wear out your implant with any usual activity, like walking, work (unless lots of squatting and lifting) or gym exercises. Running marathons might be problematic.

Your swelling isn’t from the implant anyway. It’s from the surrounding soft tissue that’s still healing. With all the work you’re doing, your knee is getting enough activity (too much even, given the nightly swelling). You should probably wait a little longer before putting your knee through a daily elliptical program. Once your swelling goes away, add in the extra exercise if your knee tolerates it.
Thank you,Susie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom