Guest viewing is limited

TKR jeffm1955's recovery

Congratulations, Jeff!! Always good to be home! Best of luck as you continue your journey........ Ice, Ice, Ice.....(but, you already know that!!) :ice:
 
So much easier to rest at home! Be sure to stay on your med schedule, you may want to set an alarm to remind you in case you nod off and forget your pain meds.
 
Got a shower today,felt so good. Was a little work with a tub insert that is 2 or 3 inches higher than a normal tub and a glass sliding door,but I got enough bend I dragged my leg in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Good job with the shower. I don't think that I could have gotten that first week with a glass door in the way. It sounds like you are doing very well.
 
That first shower feels so good, but I'm sure you were exhausted after. I was lucky enough to have a walk in shower, it did make things easier.
 
:welome:Sounds like you have things under control. Be sure to take those pain meds as prescribed and follow the BoneSmart advice. You're lucky you found them pre surgery I surely wish I had as I really overdid things for several weeks and now am paying for it with the tight bands of scar tissue surrounding my knee. These folks know what they are talking about so read the articles and check out their history and you'll be progressing right along in no time at all:cheers:
 
That first shower feels so good, but I'm sure you were exhausted after. I was lucky enough to have a walk in shower, it did make things easier.
I haven't really found a large energy loss. Maybe working out six days a week before hand,payer off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
@jeffm1955 So happy to see that the Conformis knee is moving you forward. I am not too far behind you. Be well.
 
I woke up last night about 3am,my ice pack had gotten warm to the point it was like a hot compress. My knee was throbbing and I still had 30 minutes before more oxycodone. I've been taking one oxy but the instructions say I can take two. My knee felt numb and really tight. It has had more swelling lately as I do more. Am I doing something wrong here or do I need more meds at night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Sorry to hear of your bad night. You're only one week post-op and taking 2 oxy (will assume 5 mg per) is certainly reasonable - my OS prescribed 5-10-15 as needed and at night I took 10 for about 2.5 weeks. Not only controls pain but gives some needed sleep. Unless there is some reason to fear use of opiods don't deprive yourself and suffer. And taking them 30' early is not a major deal - and take them round the clock to maintain levels. Having pain and losing sleep both make coping more difficult.
 
Probably most of us have faced nights like this, and some of us, myself included, have gone through many nights like this. I'm sorry that you experienced it, but you are only one week post surgery and your knee is in its infancy and you are just getting to know it. It will take a little bit of time to figure out what works for you best, but you will do it and you will feel better. Sometimes, however, even when we think we know what to do, our knee decides to do something else. Recovery is definitely an adventure!:snork:

I agree with @Dzina about your medication. It is always better to keep your medication level steady so that you can be ahead of the pain. Once the pain appears it is more difficult to catch up and quiet it down. By the way, one of the most helpful suggestions I got about taking opioids was to include some sort of Senna S or Miralax every day. Opioids can be very constipating and no one needs more problems on top of their recovery! I also found I could eat lots of fruit, which was a big positive for me since ordinarily, I have to limit myself.

One last thought, if I may. Please be careful not to overdo. I know it is tempting, especially when we are medicated or just having a good day, to try and do more exercising or more daily activities or going out and socializing or shopping. Take your time and don't rush. Rest is so important so that your knee can continue to heal and also because your whole body has been through a big trauma. Recovery is a long journey. Reading the Bonesmart article about what activites you can do over the weeks of recovery will give you some guideposts for what you may want to do.

You are doing well so far and I know you will continue to make progress. Keep up your positive outlook, and we are all here rooting for you.:dancy:
 
Last edited:
It is best to follow pain med instructions to a T in the first weeks. When you begin to forget a dose is the time to cut back. Getting behind and trying to catch the pain is hard, so definitely take meds as prescribed right now. Please take a look at the recovery guidelines left early on for you. On a good day this is can be a rough recovery, especially this early.

I taught school right up to my surgery day and still felt the energy drain this surgery brings. Your body will be working very hard to heal so the bulk of your energy will go to healing. This link explains nicely.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/
 
Well,last night I went to bed about 11:30 pm,took two oxycodone at 10pm,iced and slept till 3:30am,let the dog out,took two more oxy,reduced went back to bed,and slept till8:30 am. The best part was,both times I woke up my pain levels were around 2 or 3 like when I was in the hospital. Two oxy's at night, I think I'm on to something here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Is that what your OS prescribed? It seems you went 5 hours between meds.
 
The paper work all says 1 or2 every four hours. I was going with the minimum at night. Still taking one every four hours during the day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Be careful that you're not overdoing things during the day. Night time pain can be telling you you've done too much through the day.
 
I pretty much do my light exercises,fix something to eat,let the dog out,hygiene,and ice all day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like you've found a pain med schedule that works for you. Listen to your body if it starts telling you you're asking too much of it. Lots of times we think because we feel better, that means we can do more. Not necessarily. Most of the time it means we should keep doing what's working so well.
 
Good to hear you found a pain schedule that enables you to better - as long as that's how it's ordered. I took 10 every four hours for the first 10 days(in hospital and inpatient rehab). Sleep makes a world of difference in coping with this recovery and rehab which appears to allow you to take less during the day and function lightly.
 
You are so blessed to be sleeping as well as you are. Many of us didn't for quite a while. I'm so glad you're home and found a pain schedule that works for you!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom